Audi infotainment system gains Apple Music for 'nearly all' 2022 cars

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV
Audi has announced that Apple Music subscribers will be able to access the service directly from their car's own entertainment system, for the majority of cars from 2022 onwards, including some already on the road.

Car manufacturer Audi has been supporting Apple's CarPlay since 2015, but now it's making Apple Music available directly through its own in-car systems. Users can still connect their iPhones, but no longer have to for music.

"Integrating Apple Music into the Audio infotainment system marks the next step in the collaboration between Audi and Apple," said Christiane Zorn, Audi's Head of Product Marketing in a statement. "For our customers, it means that we are offering them direct access to their own personalized listening experience."

"This is our understanding of a premium digital in-car experience," continued Zorn. "At Audi we are systematically driving the digitalization of the vehicle and we are convinced that the interior is increasingly developing into a third living space."

Audi says that this Apple Music integration is to be included in "nearly all" cars in North America, Europe, and Japan, starting "with the 2022 model year." An over-the-air update will bring the feature to existing compatible vehicles.

This integration does not replace CarPlay. Audi says that drivers will continue to be able to connect their iPhones, either wirelessly or via USB, to get Apple Maps, Siri, and make calls.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    entropysentropys Posts: 4,152member
    What is the point of this? Android users that have Apple Music?

just use carplay.
    edited May 2022 Spitbathgrandact73
  • Reply 2 of 7
    riverkoriverko Posts: 222member
    entropys said:

just use carplay.
    Some people only want to listen to their Music. Without need to have full iPhone control. I would love this on my car, even if Apple user
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 7
    entropys said:

just use carplay.
    Better integration with the HUD when simultaneously using navigation and music. With CarPlay, you're stuck with no navigation instructions on the HUD, unless you run the native navigation in the background and CarPlay on the main screen.
    edited May 2022 watto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 7
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    How are they providing the data streaming, is there a separate monthly fee?
  • Reply 5 of 7
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member

For Audi owners in Europe, cellular data streaming costs incurred are conveniently billed via a data package available from Cubic-Telekom. The first three gigabytes are free of charge. Audi vehicles also come with Apple CarPlay support.

Yeah, if I had an Audi I'd be sticking with CarPlay. No need to pay twice.
  • Reply 6 of 7
    lukeilukei Posts: 379member
    Not the case on my Enyaq. Carplay Apple Maps turn by turn appears on driver display, doesn’t for Google Maps on Carplay though

Monstieur said:
    entropys said:

just use carplay.
    Better integration with the HUD when simultaneously using navigation and music. With CarPlay, you're stuck with no navigation instructions on the HUD, unless you run the native navigation in the background and CarPlay on the main screen.

watto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 7
    entropysentropys Posts: 4,152member
    Monstieur said:
    entropys said:

just use carplay.
    Umm, my Hyundai can split screen carplay and the car’s built in navigation so I can see directions in the HUD.  But in truth I hardly bother, and just use carplay navigation across the whole width of the display.

Also, I understand that carplay could push navigation to the HUD but I didn’t think carmakers support that yet.
    edited May 2022 watto_cobra