Photonic keyboard

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 32
    guarthoguartho Posts: 1,208member
    Wow.. just stumbled on the thread. I have an idea for a movie that involves a scene in the 40-50 years future. When I was brainstorming I thought "Hmm... how can I show the audience that it's the future cheaply." And I decided that I'd use a holographic keyboard and screen in the beginning of the scene. Now I see it here. It's a little like when you think of someone you haven't seen for years and then they call out of the blue. Eerie feeling, go away.
  • Reply 22 of 32
    aquafireaquafire Posts: 2,758member
    Guartho,

Hey ! "I WOZ " ( sic ) here 1st.

Hmmmmmmm I smell Moneeeeeeeeey........

I wonderz if I can copyright a dream?

Nah,.... but then seed companies are wanting to patent dna sequences that already exist.

"" Day-dreaming sequence""""

Hello Steve, i've got a dream patent for you !

Yeah & lets talk about an I-Movie deal too ! Hee-Hee-hee
  • Reply 23 of 32
    chychchych Posts: 860member
    Quote:

Originally posted by futuremac

opera does something like this as well:

http://www.opera.com/features/mouse/

So does every cocoa program [Cocoa Gestures]
  • Reply 24 of 32
    bradbowerbradbower Posts: 1,068member
    Something is definitely annoying about this thread.
  • Reply 25 of 32
    Quote:

Originally posted by bradbower

Something is definitely annoying about this thread.

Sheesh, It's just a dream or ain't that allowed\
  • Reply 26 of 32
    charlesscharless Posts: 301member
    Wouldn't this be terrible for people with repetitive stress injuries?

Your fingers would overshoot the target every time. There'd be more muscle movement. More repetitive motion...
  • Reply 27 of 32
    Quote:

Originally posted by CharlesS

Wouldn't this be terrible for people with repetitive stress injuries?

Your fingers would overshoot the target every time. There'd be more muscle movement. More repetitive motion...

Well, I am sitting in a chair with arm rests. I tried wiggling my fingers in front of me for a while. It is a little tiring, but resting with my elbows on the armrests of my seems to provide all the rest my fingers and arms need.

As to overshooting, it wouldn't matter, you could enlarge or decrease fingerpad areas according to taste ( like folder Icons are now ). So once the beam is broken it doesn't matter about depth of the finger point, as the triangulation would be measure from along the base line of the two parallel emitter beams.

You could have a third infrared beam coming off the screen and scanning a closed field within the beam area. to give you a more threee dimension construct if that's what you mean.

• Reply 28 of 32
    Quote:

Originally posted by aquafire

KidRed.

Hope you don't mind being ribbed.

But as a trained psychologist, I can tell you that people often dream of things they don't have in real life. A kind of "wish fulfillment " so regards Sex & Lottery I guess you need a good bang & a buck !

Hmm. something doesn´t add up here. I never dream about sex and....

Nevermind.
  • Reply 29 of 32
    charlesscharless Posts: 301member
    Quote:

Originally posted by aquafire

Well, I am sitting in a chair with arm rests. I tried wiggling my fingers in front of me for a while. It is a little tiring, but resting with my elbows on the armrests of my seems to provide all the rest my fingers and arms need.

As to overshooting, it wouldn't matter, you could enlarge or decrease fingerpad areas according to taste ( like folder Icons are now ). So once the beam is broken it doesn't matter about depth of the finger point, as the triangulation would be measure from along the base line of the two parallel emitter beams.

You could have a third infrared beam coming off the screen and scanning a closed field within the beam area. to give you a more threee dimension construct if that's what you mean.

What I mean by overshooting is that since the keyboard won't be stopping you, your fingers will go farther than they need to each time, promoting RSI.
  • Reply 30 of 32
    Quote:

Originally posted by Anders the White

Hmm. something doesn´t add up here. I never dream about sex and....

Nevermind.

Hmm...me thinks that thou arte holding back on us. For everyone knows that fair maidens are attracted to men with certain........ " magical Powers".

• Reply 31 of 32
    g-dogg-dog Posts: 171member
    Anybody read "Einstein's Bridge"?

It talks of a really cool way of interfacing with your computer.

Here is a small excerpt:

*note that "magic glasses" is just his personal name for the device*

"He opened his briefcase and removed the magic glasses and data cuffs. He switched ont he small computer inside and made sure that its sensor flap was extended outside when he latched the breifcase lid, then slipped it back under the seat in front of him. He pressed a switch recessed in a thick earpiece of the magic glasses, then put them on. He draped the fleshcolored data cuff arounf his left wrist, just in front of his wristwatchm and secured it with the Velcro joint underneath. He repeated the process on his right wrist and activated the calibration process, flexing finger, twisting wrists, and bending elbows.

The glasses produced a display screen presented vertically in front of him and a horizontal keyboard etched in bright lines in midair. He reached out, grasped the screen, and moved and stretched it until it filled the full area of the seat back in front of him, then positioned the virtual keyboard to a more comfortable position at the surface of the tracy table. He called up the report he'd been working on earlier and began to type and revise."

I don't know about anybody else, but this kind of thing would...

two words...KICK @$$! Think of it, no computer burning your lap, no limit to how you could position the screen or keyboard.

Just imagine, you could have a 6inch or a 60inch screen layout.

No more carpol tunnel syndrome and no soar eyes.

Not sure if the technology is there yet though.
  • Reply 32 of 32
    G-Dog,

Hate to burst your bubble, but actually yes, Cyber-reality systems have been in train for almost twenty years. They are a slight variation to what you have laid out, but the principle ideas behind it are the same. NASA, Scientists, architects, etc are using cyber-devices right now to simulate space flight, manipulate atomic structures, sculpt art-works, furniture, etc etc. Originally, the "glasses" were part of a headmask & came with gloves that could be seen in little eye monitors.

They are becoming incredibly small & reasonably portable. Only trouble is in being "wrapped" so you can't see whats coming at you in realtime & realspace.