iPhone 14 to get 'high-end' front camera with built-in autofocus

Posted:
in iPhone
The upcoming iPhone 14 and iPhone 14 Pro could feature a higher-end selfie camera with built-in autofocus that will be assembled in South Korea, a new report claims.

iPhone 14
iPhone 14

Apple has reportedly cut a Chinese supply chain partner and has chosen South Korean company LG Innotek for the new front-facing camera, ET News reported Monday. LG Innotek has since begun mass production of the new camera setup.

The new camera setup is set to cost as much as three times more than previous iPhone front-facing cameras.

According to ET News, the change is a result of Apple classifying the front-facing camera as a "high-end" component instead of a "low-end" one, as well as quality concerns about Chinese suppliers.

Originally, Apple had planned to use LG Innotek as the supplier on the iPhone 15 model in 2023. However, the company has reportedly moved those plans up to 2022.

The new report corroborates rumors from other media outlets and analysts, including Ming-Chi Kuo. Back in April, Kuo said that the iPhone 14 could get an upgraded front camera with autofocus for enhanced FaceTime calls and selfies.

Along with autofocus, Kuo added that the cameras could sport a wider aperture could provide the iPhone models with better Portrait mode capabilities.

Though the ET News report does not mention it, Kuo said that all four iPhone 14 models will get the upgraded front camera.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 13
    mobirdmobird Posts: 753member
    "Kuo said that all four iPhone 14 models will get the upgraded front camera."

Does this mean that the iPhone Mini will be available?
  • Reply 2 of 13
    ionicleionicle Posts: 98member
    mobird said:

Previous reports i remember reading said:

iphone 14
    iphone 14 max
    iphone 14 pro
    iphone 14 pro max
    twokatmewfastasleepdoozydozen
  • Reply 3 of 13
    I think the rumour mill is suggesting two 6.1” models (iPhone and iPhone Pro) and two 6.7” models (iPhone Max and iPhone Pro Max). 

mobird said:

• Reply 4 of 13
    gilly33gilly33 Posts: 434member
    I’m excited about this news. This is an upgrade year for me. Finally turning in my iPhone XS Max. Using FaceTime a lot more lately. 
  • Reply 5 of 13
    wood1208wood1208 Posts: 2,913member
    iPhone 14 A15, 6.1" 60hz notch screen starting at $799
    iPhone 14 Max A15, 6.7" 60Hz notch screen starting at $899
    iPhone 14 Pro A16, 6.1" 120Hz pill-hole screen starting at $999 but $1099 possibility
    iPhone 14 Pro Max,A16, 6.7" 120HZ pill-hole screen starting at $1099 but $1199 possibility

Why Apple just don't make all iPhone 14 models with the same pill-hole screen ? I have to upgrade to iPhone 14 Pro Max or skip and get iPhone 15 Max with pill-hole when arrives in September 2023.. Helps save money.

edited May 2022
  • Reply 6 of 13
    geekmeegeekmee Posts: 629member
    How do you improve a diamond?
    Incrementally.
    edited May 2022 doozydozenStrangeDays
  • Reply 7 of 13
    rundhvidrundhvid Posts: 122member
    geekmee said:
    How do you improve a diamond?
    Incrementally.
    You don’t.

Diamond is unattainable (that’s why it has inherent value), but you strive for diamond-like when you reiterate—and incrementally improve—the next iPhone, chair, etc.
  • Reply 8 of 13
    bluefire1bluefire1 Posts: 1,302member
    As someone who gets a new iPhone every year, I’m hoping the 14 Pro doesn’t disappoint. 
  • Reply 9 of 13
    darkvaderdarkvader Posts: 1,146member
    gilly33 said:
    I’m excited about this news. This is an upgrade year for me. Finally turning in my iPhone XS Max. Using FaceTime a lot more lately. 

Please don't "turn it in".  Resell it on the secondary market, like ebay.  Apple destroys all traded in iPhones, creating more e-waste and hurting the secondary market.

You'll be helping the environment AND you'll have more money in your pocket.
  • Reply 10 of 13
    mobirdmobird Posts: 753member
    For your reading enjoyment.

darkvader said:
    Please don't "turn it in".  Resell it on the secondary market, like ebay.  Apple destroys all traded in iPhones, creating more e-waste and hurting the secondary market.

edited May 2022 StrangeDays
  • Reply 11 of 13
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,871member
    darkvader said:
    gilly33 said:

This is rubbish (har). First, Apple has a top-tier system for reclaiming components and recycling materials from iPhones. You can read about their Daisy robot here:

https://appleinsider.com/articles/20/01/11/recycling-robot-daisy-part-of-apples-effort-to-end-mining-for-resources

https://appleinsider.com/articles/22/04/20/new-video-shows-apples-iphone-recycling-robot-daisy-in-action

Second, I don't believe for a second Apple pays up to $400 for a used iPhone just to recycle it and harm the secondary market (no doubt while twirling its waxed mustache, right?). They use them to sell to the secondary market, just like Gazelle and competitors. 
    edited May 2022
  • Reply 12 of 13
    wood1208 said:
    Why Apple just don't make all iPhone 14 models with the same pill-hole screen ?
    Yeah. Why doesn't Apple just make the normal & pro models exactly the same, yet still charge more for the pro because it's "pro"? /s
    edited May 2022 muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 13 of 13
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    darkvader said:
    gilly33 said:

This is rubbish (har). First, Apple has a top-tier system for reclaiming components and recycling materials from iPhones. You can read about their Daisy robot here:

https://appleinsider.com/articles/20/01/11/recycling-robot-daisy-part-of-apples-effort-to-end-mining-for-resources

https://appleinsider.com/articles/22/04/20/new-video-shows-apples-iphone-recycling-robot-daisy-in-action

Second, I don't believe for a second Apple pays up to $400 for a used iPhone just to recycle it and harm the secondary market (no doubt while twirling its waxed mustache, right?). They use them to sell to the secondary market, just like Gazelle and competitors. 
    How is it rubbish?  A person will almost certainly get more money for an iPhone on eBay that Apple. Apple do not pay well. I just checked my X, Apple offers 100, eBay listings bottom out at 150, and range up to 250.

There appear to be 0 iPhone XS Max on the Apple refurbished store. It’s not even a option in the filters. Apple may well refurbish reasonable quality iPhone 11 and later, but every appearance is that earlier iPhones go into the recycling program irrespective of condition.

And however good Apple’s  recycling program is, recycling is still the worst of the three Rs. Better than landfill for sure, but reuse and repair are far better. Also, the robots are impressively flashy automation but they are only separating materials so that they be recycled by traditional means. It’s a far from perfect process.
    edited May 2022 muthuk_vanalingamavon b7