Compared: Apple Music vs Spotify in 2022

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited May 2022
Spotify and Apple Music are the heavyweights of the music streaming industry, but which is better isn't clear-cut.

Spotify's App Store icon (left), Apple Music (right)
Spotify's App Store icon (left), Apple Music (right)

Music streaming is big business, and after years of services being available, it has become a very crowded market. Many apps are trying to keep the attention of subscribers willing to pay a monthly fee, but two giants are taking the most attention at the top of the pile: Spotify and Apple Music.

With many smartphone users regularly listening to music, a subscription to a streaming app is a must. As the two most prominent on the market, most users will pick one or the other as their service of choice.

The two seem like similar all-you-can-eat music services from the outside, and they're pretty interchangeable. Under closer scrutiny, there are a fair number of differences between the two audio entertainment options.

Users settled on one service may not necessarily see much need to switch sides, but there can be benefits to doing so depending on your listening needs.

Apple Music vs Spotify: Age and Audience

Of the two, Spotify is the oldest, having been operating since 2006, and so the longest time running in the market.

Apple Music launched much later in 2015, but it benefits from Apple's history with iTunes, which launched in 2001, followed by the iTunes Music Store in 2003. It also wasn't a project that Apple started from scratch, as elements came from Beats Music, the service it bought as part of its broader $3 billion Beats acquisition.

As the long-time streaming option, Spotify has cemented itself as the 800-pound gorilla of the market. Research released in Januarydetermined that Spotify was the biggest globally, with a 31% share in 2021, albeit down from 33% in 2020.

The same research determined that Apple Music was second, catering to 15% of the nearly 524 million global listeners of streaming music services.

Spotify is the most popular music streaming service in the world.
Spotify is the most popular music streaming service in the world.

As Apple doesn't offer its subscriber counts regularly, there's no official word on how many subscribe to it. Spotify says it has 182 million subscribers, with 422 million monthly active users.

Apple Music is Spotify's nearest, albeit still distant, competitor. However, it is closely followed by Amazon Music and Tencent Music with 13% each and 8% for YouTube Music.

It's entirely possible for Apple Music to be overtaken by a competitor, and in a market that grew 26% year-on-year in Q2 2021, that's a lot of potential subscribers to acquire.

Neither the size of the subscriber base nor the service age will matter to end users, aside from knowing both have considerable knowledge and size that they will be around for quite some time. They aren't going to disappear overnight suddenly. They're both here to stay.

Apple Music vs Spotify: Songs and Audio Content

Something that may be more important to users is the catalog of music and content available for listening. There's no point paying for a service if it doesn't have the music you like.

According to Spotify, it has "over 82 million tracks, including more than 4 million podcast titles." Meanwhile, Apple offers a more extensive catalog of 90 million songs for listening to.

The difference in quantity won't matter for most users, as they will both comfortably cover the vast majority of popular music tracks. Catalog sizes do matter for more obscure songs that may not usually get much of an audience or alternate versions of albums.

But the bottom line is that each has an awful lot of music for you to get through.

Apple Music offers Spatial Audio and Lossless. Spotify doesn't.
Apple Music offers Spatial Audio and Lossless. Spotify doesn't.

There's a difference in terms of quality for listening to that music if you look at bitrates. Spotify's apps offer an Ogg Vorbis stream quality equivalent to 160kbps for free users, while its premium service goes up to 320kbps.

Apple Music's standard bitrate is lower at 256kbps for AAC streams, but it's not the end of the story. There's Lossless to take into account.

Apple launched Lossless as its high-definition audio option, which offers music at a higher fidelity than normal. This includes two quality levels: 24-bit/48kHz Lossless and 24-bit/192kHz Hi-Res Lossless.

To chuck around these higher quantities of bits means a higher amount of bandwidth is required. For Apple Music Lossless, that means a bitrate of up to 1,411kbps, much higher than usual.

The major caveat here is that you need the proper hardware to listen to Lossless audio.

Spotify did say it would introduce a similar high-fidelity service, named Spotify HiFi, but it failed to launch despite its promotion, and in January, it was delayed indefinitely.

Both services offer curated playlists produced by music experts, but Apple Music does go one better with "Radio." Stations such as Apple Music 1 and Apple Music Hits are effectively digital radio stations with hosts and curated playlists, with programming streamed live to all users who tune in simultaneously.

Apple Music vs Spotify: Podcasts and Other Content

Both Apple and Spotify are familiar with podcasts as long-form content they can provide to users, but they operate differently.

For a start, Spotify offers podcasts within its app, distinctly as podcasts. Technically speaking, podcasts on Apple's platform are a separate entity held within the Podcasts app.

Each side offers exclusive content that the other cannot and a lot of third-party podcasts for listening.

Apple offers a lot of extra features to subscribers.
Apple offers a lot of extra features to subscribers.

If we are limiting it to the Apple Music app, you could reckon that the catch-up shows of the radio stations are comparable to exclusive podcasts, if not directly the same thing. This also includes on-demand artist interviews, profiles, and show types other than straight song-after-song playback.

Apple does a lot more with video, offering music videos alongside tracks, documentaries, and other content. Spotify does provide limited video, such as video podcast playback and some exclusive content, but it's certainly not as far along as Apple's offering.

Apple Music vs Spotify: Other Features

Aside from the aforementioned Lossless, Apple Music provides a relatively large collection of features that could benefit users.

For a start, Spatial Audio with Dolby Atmos support means you can enjoy a 3D effect to specially-produced songs. With the requisite Apple personal audio devices, such as the AirPods Max, you can enjoy hearing audio surrounding you, changing as you move your head.

Then there's offline playback, with users able to download songs and listen to them from their device without Internet access. Spotify also offers this under its Premium service.

The deep integration with Apple's ecosystem also helps the service a lot, such as enabling Siri queries to play back anything in the catalog. Accessing the music across all Apple devices, and to hand off between items, such as an iPhone to a HomePod mini, gives even more control over how a user listens to their music.

With the inclusion of a web-based player and apps for non-Apple platforms, such as Android and Windows, Apple Music can also be used on a considerable number of devices a person may own.

Likewise, you have extensive device support for Spotify, again with a wealth of apps to use. In most places where you can play Apple Music, you can do the same with Spotify.

Apple Music vs Spotify: Free Tiers

One big difference in ethos is how each service treats free users.

Apple Music doesn't offer a free tier but instead provides a free service trial. Sometimes this trial can be lengthy, up to six months with the purchase of some audio devices, but you will have to pay a subscription or quit after that time.

Spotify offers both a Premium subscription as well as a Free plan. That free tier is always available, but you don't quite get the same experience as those who pay for the service.

Free users will have to listen to advertising interrupting their playlists for a start. This happens every few songs, which isn't that different from commercial radio.

Spotify's service is quite limited if you go for the ad-supported free tier.
Spotify's service is quite limited if you go for the ad-supported free tier.

You're also not able to play a specific song on-demand, as you're limited to listening to randomized playlists, such as an album or playlist that contains the song but on shuffle.

This doesn't apply to Spotify on desktop, but it can be annoying when listening via a smartphone.

Then there's skipping, as while paid users have unlimited skips for playlists, those who don't pay may find that they cannot skip tracks from time to time, so they can be forced into listening to tracks they'd rather not.

If you're in a location with spotty Internet, you may have problems listening to music in the first place, as there's no offline listening option.

Lastly, you'd not get the highest quality music streams on the free tier, as they are reserved for Premium.

Though you can get by with Spotify's no-cost option, it will always be nudging you with frustration into paying.

Apple Music vs Spotify: Plans and Subscriptions

Apple Music offers four tiers of subscription in the United States, aside from the free trial.

Individual costs $9.99 per month, with a Student version offering the same service for $4.99 per month.

A Family plan is also available, which provides accounts for up to six people as part of Apple's Family Sharing, complete with personal music libraries and recommendations for each member. Apple charges $14.99 for that plan.

A fourth option, Voice, differs in that it is specifically a version of Apple Music that functions via Siri. Instead of accessing songs by navigating the app, you have to make your requests via Apple's digital assistant.

This makes for a compelling option if you generally use a HomePod mini for listening to music or are happy to let Siri take the wheel. The Voice plan costs $4.99 per month.

Apple Music's deep integration with the Apple device ecosystem is certainly a benefit.
Apple Music's deep integration with the Apple device ecosystem is certainly a benefit.

Spotify offers four different plans, with a one-month trial available for all, along with the free tier. Individual is the standard one-user Premium offering, priced at $9.99. Duo, for $12.99, provides two Premium accounts, as the name implies.

At $15.99 per month, Family offers six Premium accounts, with options to block explicit music and use a separate app for children called Spotify Kids.

Lastly, Student is $4.99 per month, with U.S. users also being provided access to Hulu on an ad-supported plan and Showtime.

Apple Music's iOS app enables users to sign up for the subscription directly within the app. Due to ongoing tensions between Apple and Spotify over the App Store, Spotify has stopped the ability for users to sign up via an in-app purchase of the subscription, instead forcing them to use the website to subscribe directly.

Existing Spotify users already using the in-app payments system can still do so, but the service's support pages strongly hints they should subscribe directly instead.

Not a close-run thing

There's not as much going for Spotify if you put it against Apple Music side-by-side. Sure, both can stream music to users without issue, and you can listen to your favorite songs whenever you want for a reasonable monthly fee, but if you want more than just that, Apple Music is the better option.

The Spotify Free tier is undoubtedly an attractive option for those willing to listen to advertising and don't particularly care about what they listen to. Still, not all users are willing to give up that much to save a bit of money.

For what Apple offers, new users without experience with either service could look at the features lists and easily side with Apple for most things. Those wanting a high-fidelity experience will also have to side with Apple Music, at least until Spotify decides to implement its version.

There are not that many elements in Spotify to justify using it, but its user base is probably quite happy with getting music piped to them from a major name in streaming. A base that is too happy with what they've got to bother switching services.

Spotify is the gorilla in the market, and it got there by being early and providing a good service to its users and a free plan. Apple is certainly growing, and with a compelling feature set and desirable long trial periods, it may continue chipping away at Spotify's lead for quite some time.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 22
    mike1mike1 Posts: 3,283member
    Apple Music offers four tiers of subscription in the United States, aside from the free trial.
    Individual costs $9.99 per month, with a Student version offering the same service for $4.99 per month.

Don't forget that Apple also offers an annual rate of $99. Effectively bringing the cost to $8.25/mo.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 22
    I bought some music from Apple years ago and it has been hard just to figure out how to play it in the last few versions of their app.  Apple keeps wanting to take control of your music.  After a couple of years of fighting it out with Apple I went to Spotify.  Much much better service if you’ve given up on fighting streaming.  Apple’s podcast app has gotten lots of negative reviews last year or so.  Just giving Apple a check on having podcasts doesn’t make for a good comparison of services.  My nephew partly sold me on Spotify when he said no one he knew at college was using Apple Music.  Apple's applications are not best in class.  They need to turn their apps over to a separate subsidiary that's interested in beating the competition.
    MplsPwilliamlondon
  • Reply 3 of 22
    sflagelsflagel Posts: 805member
    This comparison leaves out the most important aspect, the curated and algorithmic playlists. They are much better on Spotify. Also, Apple messes up my bought and my streaming tracks, regularly playing a streaming version that I did not want to hear instead of my owned track. Weird and annoying. 
    edited May 2022 MplsP9secondkox2grandact73williamlondonIreneW
  • Reply 4 of 22
    MplsPMplsP Posts: 3,924member
    There's not as much going for Spotify if you put it against Apple Music side-by-side”

Huh? I read through the article and have a hard time seeing how ‘there’s not much going for spotify.’ 

I recently signed up for Spotify primarily because there’s no Apple Music or CarPlay option for my Tesla (that’s a different discussion.) I’ve actually been quite happy with Spotify and I’ve found the Spotify interface to be better than Apple Music’s. I don’t care about lossless - all listening is either in the car or on AirPods so it doesn’t matter. Nor does spacial audio. 

I can’t say what the majority of people use Spotify or Apple Music for but I suspect it’s for casually listening to music. In this regard, the two services are essentially equivalent. 
    muthuk_vanalingamgrandact73
  • Reply 5 of 22
    red oakred oak Posts: 1,088member
    Spotify (I believe) still does not support Airplay 2.  That right there is a show stopper for me

Second, Spotify still does not support integrated HomePod playing via Siri 

Every other major music service supports these two features.  Spotify does it out of spite and to “support” their lawsuit position that Apple is the one being unfair 

williamlondonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 22
    djames4242djames4242 Posts: 651member
    This article, and the comments, miss what truly is the most important aspect. Spotify pays absolute peanuts. I mean, nobody is getting rich on streaming revenue alone, but I'd like the musicians I listen to to be able to afford to continue to make music and appreciate that Apple pays something like three times as much per stream as Spotify does.
    radarthekatwatto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 22
    RudeBoyRudyRudeBoyRudy Posts: 106member
    Spotify has better (way better) curated and algorithms for recommendations. It just feeds you stuff you like and will enjoy if it's new to you. Spot on recommendations easily 9 out of 10 times.

AM is extremely weak in the recommendations. Annoyingly recommending things that are far from what my listening habits are. 

Spotify has a better interface, probably because it's not burdened with legacy iTunes style navigation. 

9secondkox2sflagelgrandact73williamlondon
  • Reply 8 of 22
    CheeseFreezeCheeseFreeze Posts: 1,249member
    What is missing in this Apple propaganda piece is;

- UX/UI comparison 
    - integrations (e.g car brands like Tesla)
    - algorithms (curated / automated recommendations)

Spotify is much better in the above, having both AM and Spotify subscriptions.

Only annoying part is Spotify not willing to integrate with Siri/HomePod.

Lossless is nice but only beneficial when you have high-end audio equipment from source to speaker. Current compression algorithms are extremely effective and it’s hard to tell the difference otherwise.
    9secondkox2sflagelgrandact73williamlondonMplsP
  • Reply 9 of 22
    AppleishAppleish Posts: 691member
    One service has far better sound quality, great curated playlists, and is integrated into iOS and Mac OS.

One service has Joe Rogan.

The priorities of Apple Music won me over.

radarthekatSpitbathwilliamlondonmontrosemacsinsulinflavoredcandywatto_cobraimergingenious
  • Reply 10 of 22
    9secondkox29secondkox2 Posts: 2,707member
    Appleish said:
    One service has far better sound quality, great curated playlists, and is integrated into iOS and Mac OS.

I don’t know. I’ve been a die hard iTunes guy for a long time. When Apple Music first came out, it was a mess. It’s much better now, but still has issues. Just buying a song vs streaming it should not be so quirky at this stage. I like the Apple app design aesthetic better but the curation has been a miss. 

Objectively, Spotify has done a great job of keeping everything very intuitive and simple whereas Apple Music has sort of lost the apple simplicity. 

Give me Apples aesthetic and catalog and Spotify user experience snd it would be perfect. As it is now though, The UX of Spotify makes it far easier to enjoy. 

Had Apple Music since launch - put up with the early mess and lingering quirks because I wanted to support it. But after using Spotify later on, I was struck by just how much more apple-like the Spotify experience was and is. 

What apple did to revamp Apple Music to be useable as it is now, they need to do another round to make  everything dead simple. You shouldn’t have to jump through hoops to do anything, no matter if it’s a very common operation or not. 

While they may come out even on paper-or perhaps and edge to Apple Music, it’s a totally different experience IRL. Daily living with Spotify is far easier and more enjoyable. It pretty much gets out of your way so you can do what you wanted to start-enjoy content. 

Spotify wins this one. For now. It has most everything Apple Music does and just plain executes better. 

Also, if I had to choose between joe Rohan’s podcast and dr. Dre’s podcast, I’d probably learn something listening to Rohan vs having further brain death listening to Dre. Not the greatest comparison there. 
    edited May 2022 grandact73williamlondonMplsP
  • Reply 11 of 22
    sflagel said:
    This comparison leaves out the most important aspect, the curated and algorithmic playlists. They are much better on Spotify. Also, Apple messes up my bought and my streaming tracks, regularly playing a streaming version that I did not want to hear instead of my owned track. Weird and annoying. 
    Agreed. Hugely frustrating and baffling as to why that’s not fixed yet. 

At least include a toggle for the same song to stream or play purchased item. 

Sheesh. 

Would go a long way to getting Apple Music accepted in professional and large venue circles as well. 
    williamlondon
  • Reply 12 of 22
    Even if I use Apple Music mainly because of better Airplay support, I'm not pleased with some really simple functionality that a music streaming service should have in 2022 (actually already when it launched, but whatever).

Why does Apple Music still not support collaborative playlists? That's by far one of the best spotify functions ever. Even if most people here use Spotify, I'd love to have a possibility for my family to participate on playlists.

Playback is also sketchy sometimes. When playing playlists over airplay, playback still stops when there are both offline and online songs in the same playlists. Shouldn't really be rocket science to fix that.
    sflagelwilliamlondonimergingenious
  • Reply 13 of 22
    radarthekatradarthekat Posts: 3,842moderator
    Appleish said:

I don’t know. I’ve been a die hard iTunes guy for a long time. When Apple Music first came out, it was a mess. It’s much better now, but still has issues. Just buying a song vs streaming it should not be so quirky at this stage. I like the Apple app design aesthetic better but the curation has been a miss. 

Objectively, Spotify has done a great job of keeping everything very intuitive and simple whereas Apple Music has sort of lost the apple simplicity. 

Give me Apples aesthetic and catalog and Spotify user experience snd it would be perfect. As it is now though, The UX of Spotify makes it far easier to enjoy. 

Had Apple Music since launch - put up with the early mess and lingering quirks because I wanted to support it. But after using Spotify later on, I was struck by just how much more apple-like the Spotify experience was and is. 

What apple did to revamp Apple Music to be useable as it is now, they need to do another round to make  everything dead simple. You shouldn’t have to jump through hoops to do anything, no matter if it’s a very common operation or not. 

While they may come out even on paper-or perhaps and edge to Apple Music, it’s a totally different experience IRL. Daily living with Spotify is far easier and more enjoyable. It pretty much gets out of your way so you can do what you wanted to start-enjoy content. 

Spotify wins this one. For now. It has most everything Apple Music does and just plain executes better. 

Also, if I had to choose between joe Rohan’s podcast and dr. Dre’s podcast, I’d probably learn something listening to Rohan vs having further brain death listening to Dre. Not the greatest comparison there. 
    Rohan has a huge built-in ideological bias.  Hopefully that’s what you’re thinking you’ll learn when
    listening to him.  
  • Reply 14 of 22
    pscooter63pscooter63 Posts: 1,080member
    The only issue I have with the article is the implication that if you’re gonna go lossless, you MUST invest in premium gear.
    Not to these ears.  Even on a cheap car stereo, the difference is as noticeable to me as the difference is between, say, FM and CD back in the day.  Not that they’re equivalent, mind you, just similarly noticeable.
    Although getting the most out of lossless might involve a hardware upgrade, it’s not automatically throwing money away to do lossless with your existing rig, whatever it may be.
  • Reply 15 of 22
    Appleish said:

Rohan has a huge built-in ideological bias.  Hopefully that’s what you’re thinking you’ll learn when
    listening to him.  
    Everyone has an ideological bias or worldview. 

It’s what you do with new info along the journey of life that matters. 

Sometimes that bias is challenged and you learn and adapt. Other times you get confronted with something that proves you wrong snd you put your head in the sand. I try to do the former. 

And I’m no fan of Rogan, though he’s surprised me quite a bit with how much he’s able to go into detail on complex subjects that matter with people who are “experts on said subjects - and more than hold his own. He’s got something special. Just because he doesn’t toe the liberal line doesn’t make him wrong or a bad guy - especially considering how many lied are being exposed from our government and media over the last couple of years. 

Again, comparing that with the stuff Dr. Dre was saying… if a had to choose between them, I’d choose  Rogan out of the two. 

And that was the point.
    williamlondon
  • Reply 16 of 22
    This article sums up exactly why we switched our family plan from Spotify to Apple Music a couple months ago (and no it wasn’t because of any political drama although my husband is a Neil Young fan so that didn’t help). We bought several Sonos speakers for our home and set them up and realized it’s a huge waste to blast mediocre audio through such sweet speakers. We even found an app (SongShift) to convert all our playlists over. Was a breeze. Have been loving Apple Music, works well, and more importantly sounds very crisp and clear. Great article though, research is spot on. 
    Also to add Spotify is owned by companies like T Rowe Price, Morgan Stanley, Universal Music, Sony Music, etc so it’s not like you’re supporting some grassroots home developed app anymore. It’s basically the Amazon of music and they don’t pay the artists as well as other services…that in itself is reason enough to leave Spotify then add the audio quality differences and the cost (family plan is $1 more with Spotify for crappier audio and less payout to artists). Was an easy decision for us.
    edited May 2022 imergingenious
  • Reply 17 of 22
    MplsPMplsP Posts: 3,924member
    Appleish said:

listening to him.  
    I just don’t listen to him. Problem solved. Never listened to Dr. Dre but I don’t think that would enhance my life much, either. Both services have music (or audio content) that I consider offensive but I’m not forced to listen to it on either one.
  • Reply 18 of 22
    cam8240cam8240 Posts: 1member
    I use Apple Music but have also used Spotify, and for the most part am a huge fan of Apple Music’s ability to connect across devices and the high quality music it provides.

My biggest complaint now for years with Apple Music which I have not heard anyone mention is the fact that is does not support crossfade. One of the greatest music features of all time yet Apple Music does not support it what’s up with that?
  • Reply 19 of 22
    I bought some music from Apple years ago and it has been hard just to figure out how to play it in the last few versions of their app.  Apple keeps wanting to take control of your music.  After a couple of years of fighting it out with Apple I went to Spotify.  Much much better service if you’ve given up on fighting streaming.  Apple’s podcast app has gotten lots of negative reviews last year or so.  Just giving Apple a check on having podcasts doesn’t make for a good comparison of services.  My nephew partly sold me on Spotify when he said no one he knew at college was using Apple Music.  Apple's applications are not best in class.  They need to turn their apps over to a separate subsidiary that's interested in beating the competition.
    Dude, you just said you were convinced by your nephew who is in college where they mostly use Spotify? You realize college kids got no money, right? So they mostly use the free version only available with Spotify, but Apple Music has more songs, higher quality, more efficient hardware based decoding, Dolby Atmos 3D listening, and if you’re a Mac user or interested in Apple TV+ or their other services, Apple’s bundled plans like Apple One make Apple Music far more cost effective than paying for Spotify premium and other services separately. If a free option is necessary due to a very tight budget, I’d recommend Pandora as they pay artists better than Spotify (so does Apple Music). 

Your arguments around podcasts makes no sense. Unless you have a hankering to listen to Joe Rogan, who has increasingly shown himself to be a dangerous idiot, Spotify podcasts have no extra value. Them trying to lock down podcasts is the worst thing to happen to podcasting.
  • Reply 20 of 22
    Apple Music as a service is amazing when it works, but they really need to work on fixing some of the bugs. You can’t have a major music app in 2022 that occasionally just decides to do nothing when you press play, or gives you a “not authorized” error message. Even 1% of the time is too much. Just not acceptable. Fix that shit.