Digital ID feature in Apple Wallet has expanded to Maryland

Posted:
in General Discussion edited November 2022
Apple iPhone users in the state of Maryland are now able to add digital IDs to the Wallet app on their devices for easy presentation at TSA checkpoints.

Credit: Apple
Credit: Apple

The feature, which Apple showed off at WWDC 2021, first launched in Arizona in March. Now, support for the capability is live in the state of Maryland.

According to the Maryland government website, users can add their state driver's license or identification card to Apple Wallet on either iPhone or Apple Watch.

For now, the feature is limited to identification at TSA checkpoints. However, it will make presenting ID at airport security contactless and more convenient. Users will authenticate their identity by tapping on special TSA readers at security checkpoints.

In addition to to Arizona and Maryland, Apple says that the first slate of states to adopt the feature will also include Colorado, Hawaii, Mississippi, Ohio, and the territory of Puerto Rico. The feature will also come to Georgia, Connecticut, Iowa, Kentucky, Oklahoma, and Utah.

The digital ID support in Wallet is currently only available in the U.S. It requires an iPhone 8 or newer running at least iOS 15.4. Users who want the digital ID on an Apple Watch will need an Apple Watch Series 4 running watchOS 8.4 or later.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    bluefire1bluefire1 Posts: 1,301member
     No New York, California, Florida or Texas even listed for upcoming rollouts. 
    mac daddy zee
  • Reply 2 of 6
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,801member
    Yeah, none of the major states are on the list which sucks. That being said I'm sure it's quite an undertaking to do this and it has to be a lot easier with a less populated state versus a more populated state. 
    mac daddy zeetwokatmew
  • Reply 3 of 6
    JinTechJinTech Posts: 1,020member
    bluefire1 said:
     No New York, California, Florida or Texas even listed for upcoming rollouts. 
    I imagine California, with the technology at the epicenter of the state, will likely come last.
    mac daddy zee
  • Reply 4 of 6
    JWSCJWSC Posts: 1,203member
    I registered for this in Arizona a few days after it became available.  I went through the facial recognition process and initiated the request an Apple wallet.  I was told I would receive notification within a few days, but it never came.  Don’t know what happened.
    mwhite
  • Reply 5 of 6
    Simple setup process. Take a pic of the front and back of your ID. Then some automatic face scanning and a photo to verify before it's sent to the MVA.
  • Reply 6 of 6
    pairof9pairof9 Posts: 74member
    South Carolina just announced "roads" for "automobiles" late last year, so it's going to be awhile for us.