Apple releases tvOS 15.5.1 & HomePod Software 15.5.1 with bug fixes

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV
Apple has released tvOS 15.5.1 and HomePod Software 15.5.1 to the public with bug fixes and to address an issue where music could stop playing after a short time.

tvOS 15.5.1 and HomePod Software 15.5.1 now available
tvOS 15.5.1 and HomePod Software 15.5.1 now available

The operating system for Apple TV and HomePod are rarely updated on their own, but Apple has released a bug fix update to address specific issues for those platforms. The previous updates for these platforms were released on May 16.

The release notes for the HomePod Software update say it addresses an issue where music could stop playing after a short time. Since the HomePod software and tvOS are essentially the same release and share a build number, Apple released updates for both operating systems.

The Apple TV, HomePod, and HomePod mini will update automatically for most users. However, if you'd like to force the update right away, just navigate to the Settings app on Apple TV for tvOS or to the Home app for HomePod Software.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,877member
    I’m loving the new ATV beta feature shared in the other discussion — that lets you use your HomePods as audio-out devices from your TV when using other input sources! Like OTA broadcast TV. It uses ARC / eARC and requires a compatible HDMI port. Groovy!

https://www.digitaltrends.com/home-theater/hdmi-arc-explained-works-care/
    edited May 2022 Alex1NAndy.Hardwake
  • Reply 2 of 8
    SpitbathSpitbath Posts: 91member
    I’m loving the new ATV beta feature shared in the other discussion — that lets you use your HomePods as audio-out devices from your TV when using other input sources! Like OTA broadcast TV. It uses ARC / eARC and requires a compatible HDMI port. Groovy!

https://www.digitaltrends.com/home-theater/hdmi-arc-explained-works-care/
    That feature is almost a year old now.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT207117

Published Date: September 23, 2021
  • Reply 3 of 8
    bloggerblogbloggerblog Posts: 2,464member
    I was hoping to read about bug fixes with pairing. My two HomePods get finicky after pairing them with my AppleTV. So far I had to reset to factory settings twice. They start off by behaving properly then a few weeks later bugs start to surface, like when hitting the Mute button walks the volume down to zero instead of muting, or clicking the volume button increases the volume disproportionally. A few weeks later they just disconnect and the audio defaults back to the TV. The only way to make them work again is by removing them from HomeKit and resetting to factory settings, then going through the pairing process all over again. It has been a few weeks since my last factory reset and so far so good, the Mute is still misbehaving but I'm hoping I won't have to reset to factory settings.
  • Reply 4 of 8
    MBearMBear Posts: 8member
    Had the music goes off but still shows playing issue for a while - thought it was my setup and automation causing the problem. 
    Glad this update fixes it. Will report back it it actually does…
  • Reply 5 of 8
    Update 15.5.1 seems to have made it worse for me and my HomePod mini. Stream now stops after about a minute!
  • Reply 6 of 8
    Alex1NAlex1N Posts: 131member
    Update 15.5.1 seems to have made it worse for me and my HomePod mini. Stream now stops after about a minute!
    15.5.1 isn’t available here in Australia yet - maybe thatks why 😬
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 8
    lotoneslotones Posts: 58member
    For 6 months I had an issue with streaming photos from my Mac with appleTV. The stream would stop after 2 photos. Last night I decided to see if the new update fixed it. At first it was exactly the same, but then I turned "Repeat Photos" ON. and it streams perfectly now.

Maybe turn ON whatever "Repeat" function applies to your streaming situation and see if that helps.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 8
    g4waldog4waldo Posts: 7member
    I updated my 2nd gen 4k and an older HD Apple TV to 15.5.1. Now they both say that the computer must be authorized in order to play purchases over Home Sharing. Said home sharing machine is a MacMini all up-to-date (12.4). I can still play these same purchased movies over Home Sharing on my other two 15.5 Apple TV's, laptop, iOS devices, and I have re-authorized the Mac sharing the media multiple times, and can play the movies on the machine itself.

I enabled Home Sharing on my laptop and it has the same results. Works for 15.5 devices, but not 15.5.1. Has anyone else had tvOS 15.5.1 break Home Sharing?