Apple Stores start accepting Tap to Pay across US

Posted:
in iPhone
Apple's Tap to Pay, the contactless feature that lets one iPhone user pay another without any extra hardware, has begun to roll out to Apple Stores nationwide.

Tap to Pay allows users to accept contactless payments with no further hardware
Tap to Pay allows users to accept contactless payments with no further hardware

Following an earlier trial at the Apple Park visitor centre, Tap to Pay is now coming to all US Apple Stores.

According to Bloomberg, the feature began rolling out today, although it's not known how long it will take to reach every store.

Apple's tap to pay acceptance directly on iPhone is rolling out across its stores beginning today. Was tested earlier at the store at its HQ. More on the feature: https://t.co/rPoYgSIKXo https://t.co/XqfBOOdFQ5

-- Mark Gurman (@markgurman)

Tap to Pay was announced in February 2022, when it was said to be launching by the end of the year. It's not intended to be exclusive to Apple Stores, rather it will be available to US businesses who want to adopt it.

The first business to announce adoption was Stripe, which launched a closed beta program for its customer firms in February.

In Apple Stores, it means that staff should be able to retire the current "Isaacs," the modified iPhones with a secondary device attached for taking credit cards. Now any iPhone running the latest version of iOS will be able to accept transactions through Tap to Pay.

Equally, any updated iPhone will be able to pay another user, whether that's a business or an individual.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    mike1mike1 Posts: 3,286member

In Apple Stores, it means that staff should be able to retire the current "Isaacs," the modified iPhones with a secondary device attached for taking credit cards. Now any iPhone running the latest version of iOS will be able to accept transactions through Tap to Pay.

You're kidding, right? Because nobody is going to want to pay for something with a credit card using the more traditional methods.
    tokyojimu
  • Reply 2 of 7
    mpantonempantone Posts: 2,040member
    mike1 said:

You're kidding, right? Because nobody is going to want to pay for something with a credit card using the more traditional methods.
    Yes, this takes the cake as one of the most vividly painted scenarios I've ever read.

Android user: "Hi, I'd like to buy the new iPhone."
    Apple Store associate: "Sorry, we don't accept Samsung Pay."
    Android user: "I understand. Here's my credit card."
    Apple Store associate: "Sorry, we can't handle plastic."
    Android user: [walks away shaking head]

Two quarters later...

Headline: Apple Board Fires Entire Senior Management Team After 80% Revenue Drop

:p

This is totally going to happen and we read it here first at AppleInsider. This is the epitome of technology journalism in 2022. What a scoop!

Great job, AppleInsider!!!

<3 :)  
    edited May 2022 tokyojimu
  • Reply 3 of 7
    jcs2305jcs2305 Posts: 1,337member
    mike1 said:

Contactless ( Tap to Pay ) is available with physical credit cards as well. My recently replaced Chase Visa card has the Tap to Pay "sideways wifi" symbol and it was on the paperwork that came with the card. I would imagine eventually all cards will have this functionality. Similar to chip cards doing away with having to swipe and garbage magnetic strips.
    Contactless Nfc Wireless Pay Sign Logo Credit Card Nfc Payment Vector  Concept Stock Illustration - Download Image Now - iStock

edited May 2022 fastasleepwatto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 7
    mpantonempantone Posts: 2,040member
    jcs2305 said:
    mike1 said:

Contactless ( Tap to Pay ) is available with physical credit cards as well. My recently replaced Chase Visa card has the Tap to Pay "sideways wifi" symbol and it was on the paperwork that came with the card. I would imagine eventually all cards will have this functionality. Similar to chip cards doing away with having to swipe and garbage magnetic strips.
    Retailers still need a way to process cards that are faulty or are missing the latest payment technology features regardless of the reason.

I have a particular VISA card that doesn't have NFC contactless and the EMV chip is no longer working so everywhere I use it, it has to be swiped. This is my preferred payment card at restaurants because I get 3% cash back for that merchant category.

My AMEX Blue Cash also doesn't have NFC contactless. I know I am not alone in not having a wallet full of perfectly functioning cards all decked out with the latest card features.

It is in the retailers' best interest to still have a way to manually key in the credit card information (card number, CID, name, expiration) if all of the technology features on the card are kaput as a last resort. Remember that EMV liability rests on the merchant not the payment processor these days so the retailer really does need to try the EMV chip before trying magnetic stripe swipe or manual entry.

I suppose Apple Retail could come up with a system where they keep some wireless card swipe POS devices (similar to a Square) that are shared amongst the sales associates on the floor but no matter what they still need to be able use the EMV chip or magnetic stripe.
    edited May 2022 muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 5 of 7
    fastasleepfastasleep Posts: 6,420member
    mpantone said:

It is in the retailers' best interest to still have a way to manually key in the credit card information (card number, CID, name, expiration) if all of the technology features on the card are kaput as a last resort.
    Are you pretending like this feature doesn't already exist in myriad apps and POS systems everywhere? Face the camera at the card and pick up the number and expiration date automagically. Key in the 3-digit/zip if required. Flat printed? Enter manually as a last resort. Done.

Also, replace your defective card — it's not like it costs you anything.

I suppose Apple Retail could come up with a system where they keep some wireless card swipe POS devices (similar to a Square) that are shared amongst the sales associates on the floor but no matter what they still need to be able use the EMV chip or magnetic stripe.
    Or, like the existing Isaac systems they already use as mentioned in the article, but this isn't really necessary for the above reasons.
    edited May 2022 watto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 7
    brianjobrianjo Posts: 40member
    mpantone said:

It is in the retailers' best interest to still have a way to manually key in the credit card information (card number, CID, name, expiration) if all of the technology features on the card are kaput as a last resort. Remember that EMV liability rests on the merchant not the payment processor these days so the retailer really does need to try the EMV chip before trying magnetic stripe swipe or manual entry.
    You just listed the EXACT reason why retail stores should not accept non functioning cards.  A non functioning card opens up the potential for a fraudulent card. If you manually key in the transaction, then you're opening yourself up to fraud.  Not worth the risk to accept a sale from someone that doesn't make sure their cards are functional.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 7
    JFC_PAJFC_PA Posts: 932member
    So it will be one of a number of methods of payment. Jumping to the conclusion Apple will ONLY accept payment with Tap to Pay is bizarre. 
    muthuk_vanalingammike1watto_cobra