Tim Sweeney says App Store is a 'disservice to developers,' wants to protect Metaverse

Posted:
in General Discussion
Epic Games CEO Tim Sweeney believes that the Metaverse is already here, and that his company is the one to protect developers and consumers from Apple and Google taking it over.

Still embroiled in the Epic Games vs Apple legal case concerning the App Store, Tim Sweeney has previously said Apple "must be stopped," and that Google is "crazy." In a new interview, he claims that both of those firms will get "a stranglehold over the metaverse," unless they are forced to change how they operate.

Speaking with the Financial Times, Sweeney posits that the Metaverse is already here, in the form of Fortnite, Roblox, and Minecraft. He also sees that Epic Games's Unreal Engine is a key player in creating the future of the Metaverse, but an altruistic key player.

"Epic Games plans for the Unreal Engine to be a massive revenue driver for our customers and not so much for us," he said. "We aim to give everybody the 3D real-time content creation tools they need to bring content to the metaverse and our aim is... to offer a premier destination for them to bring their content to."

"So our business isn't about extracting money from creators as much as helping them find opportunities," he continued, "and profiting alongside them from the opportunities as they emerge."

By contrast, he says that Apple currently "completely obstructs all competition and market forces that would shape better app stores and better deals for consumers."

"Epic's view is that every company participating in the tech industry should have to compete, and should actually compete fairly, in every market in which they do business," said Sweeney. "Apple competes in hardware fairly. Apple currently competes in stores unfairly."

Protecting the Metaverse

"I'm terribly afraid the current monopolies will use their power to become the next monopolies on new generations of platforms -- and continue to use that power to exclude all competition," he continued. "They've built their platform lock-in which makes it extremely hard for any company to compete, even if they were able to compete on fair terms."

Sweeney says the risk is that if Apple and Google are allowed to continue their current practices, "they're ultimately going to dominate the metaverse and they're going to dominate all physical commerce taking place in virtual and augmented reality."

Key to the practices Sweeney objects to is how Apple talks about services, and revenue from services. By including App Store earnings within the broader category of services, Apple "makes it look like it's actually revenue that Apple earned themselves, and it's not."

He calls this "heist of grabbing an opportunity from developers," and listing it alongside Apple's own services revenue, "a shady accounting practice that should not be allowed."

"The App Store is not a service," he said. "The App Store is a disservice to developers."

He didn't stop there, though.

"The App Store forces developers to treat their software in a sub-par way to give customers a sub-par experience to charge uncompetitive handling and processing fees to inflate the price of digital goods," continued Sweeney. "It's a bizarre scheme that should never have been created... it should have been reversed as soon as the industry started to reach scale."

Sweeney says that in theory he has much more time for the Metaverse plans of Meta, Facebook's parent company, but perhaps not in practice. "I really like that vision that they've articulated," he said, "[but on] the other hand, there's all their actual existing business practices..."

"[Meta's] revenue share is very little -- around 5 percent of its total revenue -- with the creators," he continues. "I feel their actual business that has grown up is not a creator-centric enough ecosystem."

"So, it is going to be a lot of work if Meta is really to bridge the gap between their current practices and their future vision," says Sweeney.

For all that Sweeney and Meta insist the Metaverse is already here, currently the term is still vague, and undefined. Nonetheless, Tim Cook has said that he sees a much potential in the idea, and that this is why Apple is investing in Apple AR.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 28
    Tim Sweeney is a mad fool and massive hypocrite. His ideas on monetization are completely unreal and nothing he says can be trusted. He is a greedy fsck who would have 1/100th of the business he has now if it wasn’t for Google and Apple. 

Tim Sweeney, you suck!
    red oakradarthekatmwhitemike1rob53dhawkins541StrangeDaystdknoxwilliamlondonlolliver
  • Reply 2 of 28
    red oakred oak Posts: 1,088member
    Nut job.   I really think he has gone off the deep end 

radarthekatmike1rob53cornchipStrangeDayswilliamlondonlolliverkillroywatto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 28
    cashxxcashxx Posts: 114member
    Well sorry! I want a place where I can get an app and feel some what safe about it. Not go all over to this store and that store for an app being hosted with different policies, etc. Be a fragmented mess! I won't buy games anymore unless they are on steam!  I want one location as it is far easier for the consumer!  Maybe Apple can cut their share down to 10-20%. They need some source of a slice of the pie for hosting, etc.
    mike1rob53tdknoxwilliamlondonlolliverkillroywatto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 28
    amar99amar99 Posts: 181member
    "So our business isn't about extracting money from creators as much as helping them find opportunities," he continued, "and profiting alongside them from the opportunities as they emerge." Talk about double-speak.
    edited May 2022 lolliverkillroywatto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 28
    jimh2jimh2 Posts: 615member
    Of course Apple is all about the creator as they want the revenue in exchange for having a frictionless marketplace. Even if there are other  store options 99.99999999999% of users will not leave the Appstore. 
    rob53lolliverkillroywatto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 28
    dewmedewme Posts: 5,362member
    Wow, what a guy! We should all bask in the glowing altruism and selflessness that he emits while embarked on his holy crusade against the evils of Apple and Google. What will be next for Saint Sweeney as he tends to his flock of suppressed and disadvantaged developers who can only dream of being free from the tyranny of the App Store? 
    foregoneconclusion12Strangerskillroyanantksundaramwatto_cobraSoCal4me
  • Reply 7 of 28
    sconosciutosconosciuto Posts: 262member
    LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL
    anantksundaram
  • Reply 8 of 28
    hammeroftruthhammeroftruth Posts: 1,309member
    Sounds like a line from Godfather 2:

Don Fanucci - “You should let me wet my beak a little. I hear you and your friends cleared $600 each. Give me $200 each, for your own protection, and I'll forget the insult.”
    Japheykillroywatto_cobraSoCal4me
  • Reply 9 of 28
    Translation: we all thought Apple was terrible with gaming and that console/PC was the center of the universe for gaming BUT now that mobile gaming generates more revenue than console/PC gaming combined we think that Apple is a tyrannical gaming monopolist that must be stopped. 
    edited May 2022 cornchipfreeassociate2StrangeDayslolliverkillroywatto_cobra
  • Reply 10 of 28
    anonymouseanonymouse Posts: 6,860member
    So, Sweeney wants to control the "Metaverse" and everyone else, "must be stopped," so that he can, "get a stranglehold over the metaverse". Got it.
    cornchipmystigololliverJaiOh81killroyanantksundaramwatto_cobra
  • Reply 11 of 28
    cornchipcornchip Posts: 1,949member
    Massive shill.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 12 of 28
    22july201322july2013 Posts: 3,571member
    Time will not look sweetly on Sweeny.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 13 of 28
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,322moderator
    Sweeney keeps peddling the same lies:

"competition will bring those payment processing fees down from 30 per cent to something very competitive with the 2 per cent to 3 per cent that’s on the market"

He keeps trying to get people to believe Apple is charging 30% for payment processing. Apple reduced their fee 3% in another lawsuit for payment processing. The Epic Game Store charges a 12% fee and they make around 5% profit after their costs.

For people making less than $1m, Apple charges 15%. So it would be 15% vs 12% for most people.

Interviewers don't call him out on this. His real motive is he wants to be the one charging the fee instead of Apple and his Tencent cronies want to kick Apple out of China like they've done with Google.
    thtStrangeDayswilliamlondondewmelolliverkillroyanantksundaramwatto_cobra
  • Reply 14 of 28
    davidwdavidw Posts: 2,049member
    Here's a link to the whole interview.

https://www.ft.com/content/e13ce526-0e33-4ca2-9699-184d0138eada?ftcamp=traffic/partner/feed_headline/us_yahoo/auddev

>"I'm terribly afraid the current monopolies will use their power to become the next monopolies on new generations of platforms -- and continue to use that power to exclude all competition," he continued. "They've built their platform lock-in which makes it extremely hard for any company to compete, even if they were able to compete on fair terms."

Sweeney says the risk is that if Apple and Google are allowed to continue their current practices, "they're ultimately going to dominate the metaverse and they're going to dominate all physical commerce taking place in virtual and augmented reality."<

Sweeney is truly clueless. The "monopolies" he should be worry about taking control of the "metaverse", are not the "monopolies" that he thinks Google and Apple are. He needs to worry about the true "monopolies" that are Microsoft and Tencent. And he already sold over 40% of Epic to Tencent. Sweeney is too stupid to realize that he's just doing the dirty work of trying to take Google and Apple down a notch or two, for Microsoft and Tencent. The two real "monopolies" that are pretending to be friends of Epic, but will think nothing of screwing him and Epic, in the end. With monopoly "friends" like these, Sweeney shouldn't be making enemies out of Google and Apple. 

https://www.polygon.com/22917625/microsoft-activision-blizzard-metaverse-satya-nadella

https://www.spglobal.com/marketintelligence/en/news-insights/latest-news-headlines/tencent-poised-to-lead-china-s-charge-into-the-metaverse-69311462
    thtJapheylolliverkillroywatto_cobra
  • Reply 15 of 28
    Translation: we all thought Apple was terrible with gaming and that console/PC was the center of the universe for gaming BUT now that mobile gaming generates more revenue than console/PC gaming combined we think that Apple is a tyrannical gaming monopolist that must be stopped. 
    I’d say that’s pretty spot on. You can generally gauge a company’s opinion on anything based on whether it’s in their own self-interest (financial, legal, etc). Most of these companies have done more damage to gaming (particularly Mac gaming) than the App Store probably ever will. And all of them know that their business models are closer to the tobacco industry than the entertainment industry. (Insert “smoking” every time Tim Schwetty-wiener mentions gaming, and note how closely they resemble the propaganda that tobacco shills spewed for years.)
    edited May 2022 watto_cobraSoCal4me
  • Reply 16 of 28
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,384member
    A disservice? How many billions of people does the AppStore give devs access to? How many hundreds of billions of dollars have devs made through it? If it’s a disservice, I imagine devs would be OVERJOYED if Apple shut down the AppStore tomorrow, right?

What a disgustingly hypocritical liar and fraudster. 

30% “processing fees”? What a dishonest clown. Counting on the stupidity and ignorance of his audience. 
    edited May 2022 lolliverkillroyanantksundaramwatto_cobraSoCal4me
  • Reply 17 of 28
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,877member
    His own Epic Store is not free nor open, and is closely managed by Epic. If you tried selling your own unsanctioned products in your game distributed thru Epic Store, they would immediately take issue with it.
    williamlondonlolliverkillroywatto_cobra
  • Reply 18 of 28
    JapheyJaphey Posts: 1,767member
    This will be the last article that I read about Sweeney until his obituary comes out. If people stop reading about him, journalists and bloggers will stop writing about him. If no one is writing about him, then he will no longer have a pulpit from which to spew his hilarious and hypocritical nonsense. Collectively, we have the power to cancel this fool. 
    Dogpersonstompy12Strangerskillroywatto_cobra
  • Reply 19 of 28
    nicholfdnicholfd Posts: 824member
    cashxx said:
    Well sorry! I want a place where I can get an app and feel some what safe about it. Not go all over to this store and that store for an app being hosted with different policies, etc. Be a fragmented mess! I won't buy games anymore unless they are on steam!  I want one location as it is far easier for the consumer!  Maybe Apple can cut their share down to 10-20%. They need some source of a slice of the pie for hosting, etc.
    They did - it's 15% if your sales are less than one million dollars (I think that's the limit).
    lolliverkillroywatto_cobra
  • Reply 20 of 28
    AniMillAniMill Posts: 155member
    Sweeney, Musk, and Zuckerberg can all burn in heck for all I care. Hell is too good for them anyway.
    Dogpersonwilliamlondon12Strangershammeroftruthkillroywatto_cobra