Apple TV+ may get new NFL Plus service together with Sunday Ticket

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV
The NFL is launching a new NFL Plus streaming service, which may ultimately go to Apple TV+ if Apple's bid to buy Sunday Ticket succeeds.

Alongside its existing sports service, Apple has been negotiating to buy the rights to the NFL's Sunday Ticket -- and some reports say it already has. Separately, a new report says that the NFL is to go ahead with the creation of its own streaming service.

According to Sports Business Journal, reports from the NFL owners meeting in Atlanta say that, "NFL Plus" is expected to launch in July. Currently it's planned to be a $5 per month service, but the publication's unnamed sources say that may change.

NFL Plus would be the streaming service of NFL Media, and currently there are talks with multiple companies over selling an equity stake in that firm. Apple and Amazon are said to be the main contenders, but if any streamer does buy a stake, it's possible that they will then get NFL Plus as well.

Sports Business Journal, however, says that if NFL Plus does not get subsumed into another streamer, it will still be providing the NFL with new data about its audience.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 10
    multimediamultimedia Posts: 1,035member
    I already have NFL Network and Red Zone with Comcast. Plus NFL Live daily on ESPN with Laura etc. What more could NFL give us that would be worth $5 a month more?
  • Reply 2 of 10
    mike1mike1 Posts: 3,284member
    I already have NFL Network and Red Zone with Comcast. Plus NFL Live daily on ESPN with Laura etc. What more could NFL give us that would be worth $5 a month more?

I guess an alternative way to reach fans who no longer have cable.
    sconosciutololliver
  • Reply 3 of 10
    sconosciutosconosciuto Posts: 262member
    There are people at league HQ who are very well-paid to figure out stuff like this. How about exclusive content? Select your own camera angles? Whatever it is, people will pony up. For all the wailing and gnashing of teeth over the 'woke' NFL and Kaepernick kneeling... the fans love the sport and they will keep coming back for more.
  • Reply 4 of 10
    f1turbof1turbo Posts: 257member
    Out of market games (live games currently only through DirecTV, or delayed through NFL Game Pass)
  • Reply 5 of 10
    An Apple logo associated with whatever it is (even if the same) should COMPLETELY do the trick.  ;)

See pretty much anything home kit. Roughly same ________ with not Apple logo/home kit: $X. That thing with Apple logo/home kit. $X times 1.5 to 3. 

Bonus: those among us who have historically hating football/sports will magically transform into loving NFL football about all others.  ;)
    edited May 2022
  • Reply 6 of 10
    eightzeroeightzero Posts: 3,063member
    My understanding is that this streaming service would include a live stream of NFL games. I think that is a "Sunday Ticket" exclusive. And something I would be interested in.

Just based on my short exposure to Friday Night Baseball, there is a lot Apple could bring to this NFL service. As George Carlin reminded us so eloquently, there is a vast difference between baseball (a 19th century pastoral pastime) and footbll ( 20th century technological struggle.) 

lolliver
  • Reply 7 of 10
    tdknoxtdknox Posts: 82member
    For me, I live really, really far away from the team that I support. Which means that I cannot watch the games live unless I both buy DirecTV and pay for the NFL Sunday Ticket. That’s about $1000 a year total, which is kinda unappealing to me.

Currently, I pirate the games using hidden VLC streams. If I could pay someone $5 a month to legally watch the games live, shut up and take my money.
    mknelsonJapheylolliver
  • Reply 8 of 10
    danoxdanox Posts: 2,849member
    Do not bite Apple…..
  • Reply 9 of 10
    Umm… how about complete access to your favorite team? Without having to sift through sports talk or other teams streams… yeah, $5 a month is nothing… I would be fine paying $5 per game, if i could just watch my team play every Sunday. I would be very happy to not have to find a bar that subscribes to Sunday ticket just to watch my team play.
    lolliver
  • Reply 10 of 10
    BeatsBeats Posts: 3,073member
    So.,, what actual games will NFL Plus stream? Can they stream Sunday Ticket games? If not, what’s left for $4.99? If NFL Plus can stream Sunday Ticket, suddenly Apple TV+ at $4.99 seems less and more desirable at the same time. You get more non-sports content for the same price but you don’t get ALL the NFL content. So fans will have to pay $10 for all NFL content assuming NFL Plus doesn’t get Sunday Ticket. If the fan only cares for NFL games then they’ll skip Apple TV+, if Sunday Ticket is non-exclusive then Apple better get a heck of a deal. What if Sunday Ticket is shared between Amazon, Apple and NFL Plus?

How many commercials will games broadcast if shown on Apple TV+?  Will it be a companion app and further fragment Apple services?

Quite the dilemma here. People wanted “a la carte”cable well here you have it!!

(Correct me if I’m wrong. I’m not big into NFL. The fans can be strange calling certain teams “America’s team” and crap like that.)