Post your 970 Tower mock ups

Comments

• Reply 161 of 215
    g4dudeg4dude Posts: 1,016member
    Quote:

Originally posted by ajprice

Nice to see my mockups still stand up this long after I did them . I was going to try a doing a new one but...

I wonder who made it into the "Bitchin' Fast" ad.

I wondered who made those. Good job. As for the "bitchin' fast" part, that is a good question...
  • Reply 162 of 215
    ziplocziploc Posts: 41member
    Quote:

Originally posted by MacJedai

Too much like this...

...and not as nice looking IMHO.

-zip
  • Reply 163 of 215
    jobjob Posts: 420member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Outsider

But you're right, Apple will never go back to square designs after El Capitan **cough**Cube**TiBook**cough**

ah, touché.

but the cube wasn't a "perfect" cube and it did have rounded edges.

and the tibook...well...that wasn't a square either. more of a rectangle.
  • Reply 164 of 215
    macjedaimacjedai Posts: 263member
    Quote:

Originally posted by ziploc

Too much like this...

-zip

Thanks for the input Zip. Coming up with case concepts is difficult at best. Some people like them, others don't . . . I shared mine to get some responses, to show a comparison to the existing case, and in the hopes that others would share their ideas (heh, two outta three ain't bad).

Speaking for myself, but I'm sure others might appreciate this too, would you create your own concept and share it with us? Think of the exercise as a "brain-storming session".

Some of the criteria I used in the development of my concepts were : continueing similar styling to what Apple is using in recent releases of Pro type Macs (XServe, the "Kong Book", and what I call the "Might Mite" . . . the 12" PowerBook); Expandability on the inside of the case; Accessability with respect to what alot of folks seem to like on the current case and what they like on other cases; Ease of manufacture; COOLING!!!; Low cost; Reliability; Ease of personalization.

The case you displayed wasn't bad (excepting it was an HP Proliant, yech . . ., at least it was a server case though), but it lacks accessability (which I should cut some slack to, because it's a server case), but that may be just hidden by removable panels. I'm usually not impressed by hidden panels, they break off too easily and ruin the overall look of the case after they break off. And I know it says Compaq on the front, the image is from HP.

Thanks Again
  • Reply 165 of 215
    kidredkidred Posts: 2,402member
    Quote:

Originally posted by ziploc

Too much like this...

-zip

Ewwwhhyyack. I respectfully disagree that the above is nice looking. It reminds me of my electric shaver or my neighbor's AC unit.

Looks like a space heater.
  • Reply 166 of 215
    fieldorfieldor Posts: 213member
    Looprumors has confirmed a new case :

April 17, 2003

The notion of Apple introducing a new processor is not a new one. But what will the computer look like? We have just received confirmation from a very reliable source that Apple will introduce a totally redesigned PowerMac system this summer. Some reports suggest that we'll see the new machines previewed at WWDC in June, while others point to a mid-late summer release. We cannot confirm a date, but we have received confirmation that the new processors will be inside of a completely redesigned housing. From other reports, we expect a new redesigned line of displays to accompany the new systems. To nail down a specific timeframe, we are probing our sources, who have been extremely accurate with information on FCP4 release at NAB and software update timelines. We'll have more information on this story available next week.
  • Reply 167 of 215
    rhumgodrhumgod Posts: 1,289member
    Quote:

Originally posted by fieldor

Looprumors has confirmed a new case :

Until Apple confirms it by releasing it, I not listen to rumor sites confirming anything. I do think it is a guarantee though, if nothing else, to cement the fact that that this sucker flys!
  • Reply 168 of 215
    onlookeronlooker Posts: 5,252member
    Quote:

Originally posted by bradbower

You know the mirrored fronts on the current speedholes G4?

I would like to see the next G4 covered in that stuff! Lots of heavy, shiny/polished metal, chrome, and then some circular-brushed buttons and finger screws on it.

Or maybe that is going the wrong direction. Heaviness, solidity, huge size..

Maybe they could make a rigid steel frame, and use the heavy/chrome/mirrored-look drive bays on the front, and then use a space-age synthetic fabric material (waterproof, durable, not going to fray, probably stain-proof like those new Dockers pants, etc) stretched across the frame for the sides and front/back? The top would need to protect against things falling on it, but otherwise I don't see why this would be too much of a problem. (Kids, maybe.. but then, Apple has the easy-open sides, and the glory-hole speakers too, so that's not much of a consideration in a pro machine.) It would even give some benefits, such as superior cooling, it won't get scratched or cracked (might be able to get cut), it would be easily replaceable, extremely light, fire-retardant (won't melt), plus it could give the case a way to easily open (i.e. snaps, zippers, even some kind of velcro perhaps). Just a thought.

I like the idea.. Chrome 970 (call it a G5) PowerMac's. Imagine a Chrome dipped PowerBook. I should make one in Maya to see what it would look like..

[EDIT]

But, A PowerMac with the all white iMac look could be a nice departure from the current look too. And would definately cut on costs compared to an all chrome version.
  • Reply 169 of 215
    jobjob Posts: 420member
    I absolutely love the old Quicksilver towers. The MDD designs were a definite step back for the external asthetic appeal of the towers.

If they could update the Quicksilver design and spruce the case up a bit...**drool**
  • Reply 170 of 215
    serranoserrano Posts: 1,806member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Amorph

pscates: That reminds me of the "Dowen Beak G4".

kelib: Sure, El Cap is bigger because of the handles, but since the handles are purely functional, is there really any point to removing them? Especially if you can't think of a more elegant replacement?

Yes there is, the handles are a pain in the ass on small desks. They turn a midtower into an ungodly mass. This may be fine if you never move your el cap and let it be in a single location, ie on your floor, but then what's the function of the handles if you don't move it, eh? In the car it makes it difficult to pack things in and around it and in general it makes it unstable.

I have a more elegant design, a handle on the top, a la the Mac Classic design. An inset that you can slide your hand into to lift, one of the towers in this tread actually has it. You maintian a rectangular, stackable, packable, stable, design and the handle to put it to use.
  • Reply 171 of 215
    flounderflounder Posts: 2,674member
    MacWhispers is saying some aluminum (but still mostly plastic)

and "radically different"
  • Reply 172 of 215
    macsrgood4umacsrgood4u Posts: 3,007member
    With processor changes and "radical" design changes I seriously doubt that it will be called a PowerMac. Time for a new name as well.
  • Reply 173 of 215
    matsumatsu Posts: 6,558member
    No it isn't.

The two iMacs couldn't have been more different and they have the same name. The spiritual successor to the original iMac, the eMac, though completely similar in concept and execution has a different name.

Ah well, there goes that theory.

The powermac will remain a powermac, the name is perfect and the replacement will fill the same space, hence the same name.
  • Reply 174 of 215
    netromacnetromac Posts: 863member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Matsu

The powermac will remain a powermac, the name is perfect and the replacement will fill the same space, hence the same name.

I totally agree. It WILL be called the PowerMac, but will it be called G5 or something completely different to differentiate it from the motorola powered powermacs?
  • Reply 175 of 215
    Quote:

Originally posted by NETROMac

I totally agree. It WILL be called the PowerMac, but will it be called G5 or something completely different to differentiate it from the motorola powered powermacs?

Nope. They will drop the PowerMac and go to:

pMac

You know Steve's new love with the music industry, he's thinking "We need names like the music stars! PDaddy, 50 cent, jLo! Damned PowerMac is too long! pMac baby! Yeah!"

whoah.
  • Reply 176 of 215
    gargar Posts: 1,201member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Wondering

...We need names like the music stars! PDaddy, 50 cent, jLo! Damned PowerMac is too long! pMac baby! Yeah!"

whoah.

wow alice,

this is really bad

brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr... you don't mean music stars you mean R&B and hiphop stars... music stars are like britney spears and... hey, justin timberlake and robbie williams and other idols.... that are long names you know

alternatives: make the box purple and name it "deep" or make it looks like a sigar and name it "led"...

no... no music stars or -groups.

bad idea

powermac is still the best option
  • Reply 177 of 215
    pscatespscates Posts: 5,847member
    Yes, and if they come out with an ad campaign of anything REMOTELY like "Yo, pMac is in da hizzouse!!" I'm buying a Gateway.

• Reply 178 of 215
    Quote:

Originally posted by pscates

Yes, and if they come out with an ad campaign of anything REMOTELY like "Yo, pMac is in da hizzouse!!" I'm buying a Gateway.

LOL
  • Reply 179 of 215
    kidredkidred Posts: 2,402member
    Quote:

Originally posted by gar

wow alice,

this is really bad

brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr... you don't mean music stars you mean R&B and hiphop stars... music stars are like britney spears and... hey, justin timberlake and robbie williams and other idols.... that are long names you know

alternatives: make the box purple and name it "deep" or make it looks like a sigar and name it "led"...

no... no music stars or -groups.

bad idea

powermac is still the best option

Ah yea, R&B and Hip Hop is music there guy. So yea, they'd be music stars.
  • Reply 180 of 215
    gargar Posts: 1,201member
    Quote:

Originally posted by KidRed

Ah yea, R&B and Hip Hop is music there guy. So yea, they'd be music stars.

what the heck...

they are music stars here to... but that was not what i mean

i hate the so called music stars because they are so anoying temporary. michael jackson is also a music star (not temporary, i know) but to keep it short and name the next powermac "waco"?

i just wanted to mention that the so called music stars, wondering mentioned, are R&B stars with funky names only. i think it is bad for apple to be associated with gangster, getto, big titty bitch yoh bro bend over everything is sex etc. kind of (sub) culture.

the only culture apple has to be associated with is it's own culture and they doing that just fine imho. it doesn't matter what you are (or think you are) as long as you use a mac your cool.

i know it's great when you are at a concert and you see 2-3 glowing apples on stage, but by using rockstar like names for it's products, apple will make it hard to sell computers to everyone, because not all customers wanted to be associated with the lifestyle of those. well, okay i don't, it's not my culture. (and that doesn't mean i don't enjoy hiphop or r&b music, there is a lot i like but i don't like that horny big d*** pumped up ego stuff)

this is so offtopic i know, sorry...

gb