Apple workers in Atlanta drop union vote request, citing intimidation tactics

Posted:
in General Discussion edited May 2022
A labor group organizing Apple retail staff at an Atlanta location has withdrawn their request for an election, alleging that Apple has carried out illegal union-busting tactics.

Apple Cumberland Mall
Apple Cumberland Mall

The Communications Workers of America, which has been organizing staff at the Cumberland Mall Apple Store, says it withdrew its request because "Apple's repeated violations of the National Labor Relations Act have made a free and fair election impossible," Bloomberg reported Friday.

Additionally, the group said Covid-19 infections among retail staff members at the story have raised concerns about the ability for eligible employees to cast a vote.

"Apple has conducted a systematic, sophisticated campaign to intimidate them and interfere with their right to form a union," the group alleged in an emailed statement to Bloomberg.

Per the National Labor Relations Board regulations, withdrawing a request for an election generally means that the vote will be canceled and the union will need to wait at least six months before asking to represent the same workers.

Workers at the Atlanta Apple Store began organizing to become the company's first retail location to file for a union election back in April. The employees cited wages that had fallen below the living wage in Atlanta, and requested highers wages to keep up and inflation and profit sharing to match corporate benefits.

Prior to the election request being pulled, the vote was scheduled for June 2. Apple has allegedly been distributing anti-union material at the location, in addition to hiring union-busting lawyers.

The Atlanta location is one of four Apple brick-and-mortar stores to make union drives in recent months, with Apple Stores in New York City, Kentucky, and Maryland also organizing to form unions.

Apple, for its part, said that it was "pleased to offer very strong compensation and benefits for full-time and part-time employees, including health care, tuition reimbursement, new parental leave, paid family leave, annual stock grants and many other benefits."

In a video to staff members earlier in May, Apple retail chief Deirdre O'Brien pushed back against unionization efforts at the Apple Stores, claiming that they could harm the relationship between the iPhone maker and its employees.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 29
    DAalsethDAalseth Posts: 2,783member
    Apple might be doing something unethical.
    It’s also possible they didn’t have the support they thought they would and the vote was going to fail.
    Without more information it’s hard to tell. 
    CluntBaby92snApple_Insiderkingofsomewherehot
  • Reply 2 of 29
    MadbumMadbum Posts: 536member
    More likely cancelled because these union commies wanted to “sneak” union vote in without members having all the information .

a dirty bunch 
    iOS_Guy80snApple_Insiderkingofsomewherehot
  • Reply 3 of 29
    9secondkox29secondkox2 Posts: 2,707member
    Classic tactic paint apple as the bad guy when they didn’t get the numbers they hoped for. Despicable. 

Apple did no wrong. They explained the pros and cons, getting ahead of the fairy tale narrative the unions were spinning. That’s not intimidation. It’s just smart. 

As it is, Apple is paying big money for retail pretty soon. 
    iOS_Guy80headfull0winesnApple_InsiderMadbum
  • Reply 4 of 29
    baconstangbaconstang Posts: 1,105member
    Intimidation?  What, force them to use Android?
    snApple_Insider
  • Reply 5 of 29
    AniMillAniMill Posts: 155member
    No one knows nuthn. Why is anyone insulting the workers who seek representation? I question both groups tactics and intentions, but to name-call the employees as “Communists” is farcical and the worst hypocrisy when our own GOP has followed EVERY tactic communist ideology has wrought on citizens all over the world.
    ronnrobin hubermbenz1962h4y3sdelreyjonesJaiOh81danoxmuthuk_vanalingamzoetmbmichelb76
  • Reply 6 of 29
    XedXed Posts: 2,543member
    Madbum said:
    More likely cancelled because these union commies wanted to “sneak” union vote in without members having all the information .

a dirty bunch 
    Ah, yes, that ol' communism tentpole of lettering citizens freely vote to better obtain a living wage. 🙄
    edited May 2022 robin huberdelreyjonesJaiOh81danoxmuthuk_vanalingamzoetmbronn
  • Reply 7 of 29
    robin huberrobin huber Posts: 3,958member
    As a proud union founding member and Apple fan I am profoundly disappointed. I would hope that an enlightened company such as this would not fall back on old adversarial memes. Workers and management can work collegially as a team for the betterment of the company. Think Different!
    XedJaiOh81ronn
  • Reply 8 of 29
    RudeBoyRudyRudeBoyRudy Posts: 106member
    LOL

all the experts here!

mikeybabes
  • Reply 9 of 29
    All this anti-union nonsense from Apple is really sickening. As a share holder I would gladly give up my dividends if it meant Apple was ethically taking care of their workers. Unfortunately Tim would rather pal around with the sociopaths ruining the world in Davos than take care of his workers. 

I’m normally not one to harp on how much I liked Jobs over Cook. But Steve would have found a way to connect with the workers and make them feel heard instead of paying millions to a shady law firm to commit crimes and union bust. 

Apple’s unethical behaviour here isn’t even in line with the standards they set for suppliers. And that’s the thing that really bothers Me. 
    tehabeM68000michelb76
  • Reply 10 of 29
    RudeBoyRudyRudeBoyRudy Posts: 106member
    All this anti-union nonsense from Apple is really sickening. As a share holder I would gladly give up my dividends if it meant Apple was ethically taking care of their workers. Unfortunately Tim would rather pal around with the sociopaths ruining the world in Davos than take care of his workers. 

I’m normally not one to harp on how much I liked Jobs over Cook. But Steve would have found a way to connect with the workers and make them feel heard instead of paying millions to a shady law firm to commit crimes and union bust. 

Apple’s unethical behaviour here isn’t even in line with the standards they set for suppliers. And that’s the thing that really bothers Me. 

what proof do you have of Apple's unethical behavior of their employees? please share your findings or take a seat and stop trolling.  
    snApple_Insider13485
  • Reply 11 of 29
    tehabetehabe Posts: 70member
    DAalseth said:
    Apple might be doing something unethical.
    It’s also possible they didn’t have the support they thought they would and the vote was going to fail.
    Without more information it’s hard to tell. 
    Probably due to the unethical tactics by Apple the union vote was going to fail. Also if Apple were this ethical company they would accept a union w/o a vote. (This is not just about pay)
    ronn
  • Reply 12 of 29

what proof do you have of Apple's unethical behavior of their employees? please share your findings or take a seat and stop trolling.  
    The union vote was canceled/Apple didn't reconised the union w/o a vote.
  • Reply 13 of 29
    AniMill said:
    No one knows nuthn. Why is anyone insulting the workers who seek representation? I question both groups tactics and intentions, but to name-call the employees as “Communists” is farcical and the worst hypocrisy when our own GOP has followed EVERY tactic communist ideology has wrought on citizens all over the world.
    Actually...the post was calling the union 'commies', and not actually the employees, and was asserting the union would rig the vote to make it look like the employees voted for a union, regardless of what they really voted for.

But, yeah...typical GQP fever-dream stuff. Not saying that unions aren't above ballot-stuffing or other seriously corrupt behavior, but this kind of nonsense is equally prevalent on both the extreme right AND left. Nobody is innocent of it, and they're all detrimental to our democracy. 
    muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 14 of 29
    tehabe said:
    Just so there's no misunderstanding, are you asserting that the canceling of the vote is EVIDENCE that Apple behaved unethically?
    snApple_InsiderRudeBoyRudy
  • Reply 15 of 29
    spice-boyspice-boy Posts: 1,450member
    Madbum said:

a dirty bunch 
    Dear grandpa, "commies" are a thing of the past. Our newly minted Billionaires have flourished not only here but in former communists nations (Russia, China). I don't understand why you don't think your fellow Americans deserve living wage especially after trying explain to you how your mouse works each time you visit your local Apple Store. Wanting your neighbors to have less than you is a classic trait found in communist societies. Come to think of it, you would fit in perfectly in the Soviet Union if it had survived the capitalist junta. 
    Xedmuthuk_vanalingamzoetmbronn
  • Reply 16 of 29
    tehabe said:

Just so I'm not misunderstanding what you're communicating, are you asserting that the fact the vote was canceled as evidence Apple engaged in unethical behavior?
    snApple_Insider
  • Reply 17 of 29
    tundraboytundraboy Posts: 1,885member
    There is no information whatsoever in the article that indicates whether intimidation occurred or not.  Any post claiming it happened or not merely reveals the poster's own ideology-driven prejudices.
    snApple_Insider
  • Reply 18 of 29
    WeetuWeetu Posts: 8member
    Well if they violated the NLRA, I certainly hope the union pushes hard for board charges.
    ronn
  • Reply 19 of 29
    tundraboy said:
    There is no information whatsoever in the article that indicates whether intimidation occurred or not.  Any post claiming it happened or not merely reveals the poster's own ideology-driven prejudices.
    Not in the Appleinsider piece, but in the linked Bloomberg piece the situation is explained more in depth and what Apple did what could be seen unethical:
    In complaints filed last week with the National Labor Relations Board, the CWA accused Apple of violating federal labor law by forcing workers in Atlanta and New York City to attend “captive audience” meetings about unionization.
    Existing precedent allows companies to hold such meetings, but the labor board’s current general counsel, Jennifer Abruzzo, views them as inherently coercive and illegal. And she’s pursuing cases that could change the precedent.

ronn
  • Reply 20 of 29
    JinTechJinTech Posts: 1,022member
    tehabe said:
    In complaints filed last week with the National Labor Relations Board, the CWA accused Apple of violating federal labor law by forcing workers in Atlanta and New York City to attend “captive audience” meetings about unionization.
    Existing precedent allows companies to hold such meetings, but the labor board’s current general counsel, Jennifer Abruzzo, views them as inherently coercive and illegal. And she’s pursuing cases that could change the precedent.
    Forcing? I'm willing to bet that these mandatory (which is the verbiage I am sure Apple used) you were paid to be there. Companies are allowed to have mandatory meetings when they are discussing things of high importance. Generally, the only way out is if you are sick, have a family emergency, or have other work responsibilities, which I am sure were the guidelines here too.
    snApple_Insider