Rumor that Apple will launch a web search engine pops up again

Posted:
in General Discussion
AR evangelist Robert Scoble believes that Apple will unveil a new user-centric web search engine similar to Google's, but is waiting until January 2023 to do so.

It's not as if rumors of Apple creating a Google rival are new, but they aren't common, either. Now Robert Scoble has been detailing everything he believes Apple is about to launch, from WWDC to next year, and has revived the search engine rumor.

Oh, and a new search engine is coming too. Will Siri finally get "smart?" Hmmm.

-- Robert Scoble (@Scobleizer)

Scoble offers no further detail in his Twitter thread, but did tell TechRadar Pro that he bases this partly on conversations with sources, and partly on deduction.

Previously Scoble has said that Apple would launch its VR "bases this">Apple Glass" at WWDC 2022 -- and come alongside a "new iPod."

That claim originated on Twitter as well, but Scoble soon followed it with another tweet that tried to walk back all of his Apple claims.

"Consider anything I say about Apple as untrustworthy," he tweeted. "But it is informed."

There is a precedent for Apple replacing a Google service. It did exactly that with ditching Google Maps in favor of its own Apple Maps, although that didn't start well.

Plus Apple does already have a search engine which powers Siri and Spotlight. So it wouldn't appear to be an enormous stretch for Apple to expand that into a full Google-style general search service.

Should Apple launch this general search engine for users, it will likely lose a great deal of money. For it's been previously reported that Google expected to pay Apple $15 billion over the course of 2021, in order to remain as the default search engine on iOS. If correct, that one deal was the equivalent of between 15% and 20% of Apple's annual profits in 2020.

At the time, it was suggested that Google was paying this amount in order to avoid losing its default search engine status to Microsoft Bing.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 13
    It took five days for that Apple Search tweet to be picked up and given an article. The topic was brought up and had nearly faded away due to Scoble being busy with AWE and other things related to augmented reality. Oh well. >:)
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 13
    dewmedewme Posts: 5,362member
    Surprising that more folks aren’t talking about this in light of the recent revelation that DuckDuckGo is not nearly as “privacy focused” as it is purported to be, i.e., giving special treatment that allows Microsoft to slurp up your search data. 
    williamlondonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 13
    mjtomlinmjtomlin Posts: 2,673member
    Spotlight for the web has been a long time coming. I'm sure Apple has been building it up for years, just waiting for the moment their deal with Google ends.
  • Reply 4 of 13
    Has Scoble ever been a reliable source of Apple info? I seem to remember him being an Apple basher, years ago. Not that I care about the bashing, just that that was all he did re: Apple and otherwise was a trumpet for all things MS. 

dewme said:
    Surprising that more folks aren’t talking about this in light of the recent revelation that DuckDuckGo is not nearly as “privacy focused” as it is purported to be, i.e., giving special treatment that allows Microsoft to slurp up your search data. 

I thought it was the DDG browser allowing trackers from MS, but using DDG for search wasn’t sharing info and kept searches private. The MS deal being only related to the browser but not search. 

ETA: found this: https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/news/security/duckduckgo-browser-allows-microsoft-trackers-due-to-search-agreement/

” However, Weinberg has made it clear that this restriction is only in their browser and does not affect the DuckDuckGo search engine.”

Also, the Apple web crawler is nothing new and sparked the “Apple web search is coming” rumors a long time ago, maybe 10 years or so. I wonder what makes Scoble think things are different this year. 
    edited June 2022 dewmeJapheywilliamlondonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 13
    dewmedewme Posts: 5,362member
    Has Scoble ever been a reliable source of Apple info? I seem to remember him being an Apple basher, years ago. Not that I care about the bashing, just that that was all he did re: Apple and otherwise was a trumpet for all things MS. 

dewme said:

I thought it was the DDG browser allowing trackers from MS, but using DDG for search wasn’t sharing info and kept searches private. The MS deal being only related to the browser but not search. 

ETA: found this: https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/news/security/duckduckgo-browser-allows-microsoft-trackers-due-to-search-agreement/

” However, Weinberg has made it clear that this restriction is only in their browser and does not affect the DuckDuckGo search engine.”

Also, the Apple web crawler is nothing new and sparked the “Apple web search is coming” rumors a long time ago, maybe 10 years or so. I wonder what makes Scoble think things are different this year. 
    Thanks for the clarification. I started looking at alternatives to DDG but none of the ones assignable as the default search engine on Apple platforms were any better. 
    edited June 2022 watto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 13
    I just totally agree that comment regarding Siri finally getting smart , just shows all the money in the world can’t  make  Siri any better, how about fixing Siri before jumping to something else . 
    Then and maybe then we could understand why CEO’s can keep getting huge salaries. There was a saying that at apple they take time to make nit just products but exceptional products for the consumer, wow how they left someone alone in a room on Siri . 
    williamlondon
  • Reply 7 of 13
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,423member
    All Search engines primary focus is revenue generation. 

Marketing to consumers about Privacy or lack of bubbles means little. 

What they want is the noise reduced so that the signal can be heard more clearly 
    which means an adequate search engine needs blocking mechanisms for unwanted sites or results as well as 
    the ability to set your own custom preferences and priority. 

Search Operators is an area Apple could make less byzantine. 
    The web has turned into a cacophony of noise, clangs and bangs and honestly today a search engine doesn't need to 
    search the interernet as much as it needs to surface good content which was a goal of Google that quickly failed. 

lorca2770watto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 13
    avon b7avon b7 Posts: 7,667member
    I wouldn't worry about lost revenue from Google.

Search engines make money off of every single search that is pumped into them. There is a lot to be had if you can get users to actually use your engine. 

From a user perspective (especially a multi lingual user perspective) even Google falls short in returning the best spread of results and to this day is unable to present results correctly from newest to oldest.

It is still my go-to though followed by Petal Search. 
    narwhal
  • Reply 9 of 13
    danoxdanox Posts: 2,849member
    avon b7 said:
    I wouldn't worry about lost revenue from Google.

Search engines make money off of every single search that is pumped into them. There is a lot to be had if you can get users to actually use your engine. 

From a user perspective (especially a multi lingual user perspective) even Google falls short in returning the best spread of results and to this day is unable to present results correctly from newest to oldest.

It is still my go-to though followed by Petal Search. 

Most have learned a long time ago to look on page two for what you really want to find.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 10 of 13
    jamnapjamnap Posts: 89member
    Yes, about time we have a great search engine from Apple ( call it Core or Seed or Granny green🫣).  I refuse to use any Google products, period.  Have been using DDG but really hope Apple develops its own search engine loaded with privacy options.
    narwhalhydrogenwatto_cobra
  • Reply 11 of 13
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,322moderator
    jamnap said:
    Yes, about time we have a great search engine from Apple ( call it Core or Seed or Granny green🫣).
    Apple has setup the domain https://search.apple.com and the certificate domain name is apple-ads.apple.com. I'd expect it to be called Search.

They could potentially buy the company behind duckduckgo and just have that be their own search engine. They only have around 175 employees:

https://duckduckgo.com/hiring

It might not need to be a full independent search engine, they could pull results from Google, Bing and other sources (Wolfram, IMDB, StackOverflow, news companies) similar to what Siri does and they'd earn revenue from their own ad system.
    rundhvidwatto_cobra
  • Reply 12 of 13
    danoxdanox Posts: 2,849member
    Marvin said:
    jamnap said:
    Yes, about time we have a great search engine from Apple ( call it Core or Seed or Granny green🫣).
    Apple has setup the domain https://search.apple.com and the certificate domain name is apple-ads.apple.com. I'd expect it to be called Search.

They could potentially buy the company behind duckduckgo and just have that be their own search engine. They only have around 175 employees:

https://duckduckgo.com/hiring

It might not need to be a full independent search engine, they could pull results from Google, Bing and other sources (Wolfram, IMDB, StackOverflow, news companies) similar to what Siri does and they'd earn revenue from their own ad system.

Or try and give the best results on page one?
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 13 of 13
    rhoninrhonin Posts: 60member
    While I could see Apple pursuing something like this, maybe folding in DDG, one aspect of this endeavor would always leave me tentative; Apple’s penchant for filtering based on its’ stance.  If it is a topic or subject Apple doesn’t like, you might not see it in the search results.  A second aspect I would think about is Apple’s penchant for telling us what we need vs what we as users want.

Still, it would be interesting to see what Apple could come up with.  Perhaps it will be another revenue source especially with various countries going after Apple and the way it handles the App Store.

Time will tell.  Call me interested.