Apple's AR & VR headset not expected at WWDC, launch in 2023 instead

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited June 2022
Apple won't introduce its often-rumored VR/AR headset during WWDC, with battery issues reportedly forcing Apple to delay the hardware release into 2023.

Recent rumors have pushed the narrative that Apple will go big on AR and VR for WWDC 2022, to give developers a chance to make apps for a headset launch later in 2022. However, a report claims Apple will be waiting until 2023 to launch the hardware, casting doubt on its appearance during the developer conference.

In an article discussing Apple's tapping of Hollywood directors to develop content for the headset, sources of the New York Times discuss the hiring of Mike Rockwell from Dolby Technologies to work on the headset. The two people familiar with the project said that issues have forced Apple to postpone a release until 2023.

It is claimed that early attempts by Rockwell to create an AR product were "hobbled by weak computing power." However, challenges relating to battery power are supposedly behind the increased delay.

Among the rumors supporting a 2022 headset is one claim that Apple had started a second round of pre-production testing in February. By May, the headset had apparently entered an "advanced" stage of development, and was supposedly shown to members of Apple's board of directors.

A trademark filing has seemingly indicated that "realityOS" could be the name for the operating system used by the headset, which may still be shown off during WWDC itself. In preparation for the headset's launch, Apple could still offer developers tools for the creation of apps using existing available hardware, or possibly even via a developer kit.

The report offered that some of the elements being shown could be software tools that add new camera and voice functionality. Two people familiar with the project and documents reviewed by the publication suggested this could lay the groundwork for a hands-free headset interface.

The Saturday article claims Apple has brought aboard Hollywood directors to assist with creating content for its headset. One of the people named was Jon Favreau, who served as an executive producer for "Prehistoric Planet" on Apple TV+, and is apparently working to bring elements of that show to the headset.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 13
    Fred257Fred257 Posts: 237member
    Big mistake. Steve Jobs would have done it. The first iPhone launched barely worked when he showed it. Meta will instead be seen as the forerunner in this space. Dumb…
    cornchipwilliamlondonwatto_cobraanantksundaram
  • Reply 2 of 13
    Fred257 said:
    Big mistake. Steve Jobs would have done it. The first iPhone launched barely worked when he showed it. Meta will instead be seen as the forerunner in this space. Dumb…
    The flip side of that argument is that Apple is seldom the first to the game, but often the best when they enter.
    edited June 2022 williamlondonbyronlwatto_cobradk49lolliver
  • Reply 3 of 13
    dk49dk49 Posts: 267member
    In 2023: Apple's AR & VR headset not expected at WWDC, launch in 2024 instead.

In 2024: Apple's AR & VR headset not expected at WWDC, launch in 2025 instead.

designrwatto_cobraanantksundaram
  • Reply 4 of 13
    jcohjcoh Posts: 23member
    When will these so called tech news sites actually report anything useful.  It’s the same BS every year.  New product coming at WWDC.  New product not coming at WWDC.  New product actually coming in (insert year here).  

watto_cobraiOS_Guy80
  • Reply 5 of 13
    slow n easyslow n easy Posts: 322member
    JP234 said:
    Looks to me like this contraption is going to cost BIG bucks.
    No way anyone I know can spend $2000-3000 on a toy, no matter who makes it. Guess I'm hanging with the wrong crowd!
    I can't wait to see someone wearing them walk into an open sewer. Or a lawn sprinkler (I've seen this already. I live by a high school, and virtually every kid leaving for the day is 100% focused on his/her phone (I don't use plural pronouns for singular subjects. Not now, not ever), and it's happened twice in front of my neighbor's house).
    You sound quite intolerant to me. Mainly because you are so vocal about your hate instead of just being quiet about it.
    watto_cobraMacPro
  • Reply 6 of 13
    JapheyJaphey Posts: 1,767member
    JP234 said:
    No way anyone I know can spend $2000-3000 on a toy, no matter who makes it. Guess I'm hanging with the wrong crowd!
    I can't wait to see someone wearing them walk into an open sewer. Or a lawn sprinkler (I've seen this already. I live by a high school, and virtually every kid leaving for the day is 100% focused on his/her phone (I don't use plural pronouns for singular subjects. Not now, not ever), and it's happened twice in front of my neighbor's house).
    You sound quite intolerant to me. Mainly because you are so vocal about your hate instead of just being quiet about it.
    Hate? Lol. 
    If you go looking for hate, you’re sure to find it wherever you go. Get a grip, ffs. 
    mobirdwatto_cobraanantksundaramMacPro
  • Reply 7 of 13
    blastdoorblastdoor Posts: 3,278member
    The general mess of the supply chain might make a delay inevitable 
    MacProbyronl
  • Reply 8 of 13
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    Fred257 said:
    In recent years, with what seems like needless delays, Apple is actually waiting for some technical advancement in a component that isn't quite there yet, to enable the said product to be truly magical.
    lolliverbyronl
  • Reply 9 of 13
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    JP234 said:
    I have no idea what the Apple device will be, so this is speculative. If it were purely for VR, I assume it would use a guardian protocol, like the Quest 2. If designed for use outdoors for augmented reality, it would seem logical to a thinking person that seeing what is around you is necessary, so walking into a lawn sprinkler is probably unlikely. Sorry to hear about your grammar problems; I hope they get better soon.
  • Reply 10 of 13
    mattinozmattinoz Posts: 2,316member
    jcoh said:
    When will these so called tech news sites actually report anything useful.  It’s the same BS every year.  New product coming at WWDC.  New product not coming at WWDC.  New product actually coming in (insert year here).  

People make big bucks pushing the stock price a few cents each way with rumor A contradicting tumour B. Some would call that useful others would call it immoral 
    byronl
  • Reply 11 of 13
    danoxdanox Posts: 2,847member
    The tech isn’t small enough yet for Apple to ship a useful product? Probably years away unless there is a real disruption of the force coming which would fun to see Samsung panic….
    byronl
  • Reply 12 of 13
    bloggerblogbloggerblog Posts: 2,463member
    Apple will not ship VR, they’re working on AR