Second-generation M2 Apple Silicon chip arrives in MacBook Air, MacBook Pro

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited June 2022
Apple has used WWDC 2022 to announce its second-generation Apple Silicon chips in the M2 processor with more performance per watt than the M1.

As predicted, Apple has unveiled the M2 processor, with over 20 billion transistors, and starting off a next generation of chips.

"M2 starts the second generation of M-series chips and goes beyond the remarkable features of M1," said Johny Srouji, Apple's senior vice president of Hardware Technologies. "With our relentless focus on power-efficient performance, M2 delivers a faster CPU, GPU, and Neural Engine."

"And along with higher memory bandwidth and new capabilities like ProRes acceleration," he continued, "M2 continues the tremendous pace of innovation in Apple silicon for the Mac."

Apple says that the new 5-nanometer M2 processor contains:

• 20 billion transistors

• 100 gigabytes per second memory controller

• up to 24GB memory LPDDR5

• 18% faster CPU

• 40% faster Neural Engine, processing up to 15.8 trillion operations per second

• 35% more powerful GPU

• Higher-bandwidth video decoder, with 8K H.264 and HEVC video

• Updated Secure Enclave for "best-in-class" security

• New image signal processor for better image noise reduction

The 100 gigabytes per second memory controller is 50% more than was possible in the base M1 processor. The M2's 20 billion transistors are 25% more than M1.

"The performance cores are faster and feature a larger cache," continued Srouji, "efficiency cores have been significantly enhanced for even greater performance gains."

"The 10-core GPU delivers a big boost in graphics performance and two delivers up to 25% higher graphics performance at the same power level as M1," he said. "The GPU in M2 delivers 2.3 times faster performance at the same power level.'

Srouji claims that this means "much higher performance per watt" yet also enables the system "to run cooler with exceptional battery life."

Source: Apple
Source: Apple

Apple says that "compared to the latest 12-core PC laptop chip... M2 provides nearly 90 percent of the peak performance of the 12-core chip while using just one-fourth the power."

The company says it bases this figure on performance measuring of the 12-core testing MSI Prestige 14Evo (A12M-011) with Core i7-1260P and 16GB of RAM. Apple also notes that this and similar PCs need "dramatically more power to deliver an increase in performance."

The new M2 also features a next generation of the Secure Enclave, plus an advanced neural engine. It also provides a higher bandwidth video decoder which means M2 can play back multiple streams of 4K and 8K video.

"The fact that we're already starting our next generation of Apple silicon for the Mac is remarkable," said John Ternus, senior vice president of hardware engineering.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 28
    k2kwk2kw Posts: 2,075member
    Still has TouchId on 13 inch MBP 
  • Reply 2 of 28
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    k2kw said:
    So does the MBA?  Different sensor, but still TouchId.

MBP 13 is just cruising.
  • Reply 3 of 28
    k2kwk2kw Posts: 2,075member
    crowley said:
    k2kw said:
    So does the MBA?  Different sensor, but still TouchId.

MBP 13 is just cruising.

whoops.  Meant TouchBar.

I guess they have many of those to use up.

edited June 2022
  • Reply 4 of 28
    DAalsethDAalseth Posts: 2,783member
    I was surprised by the Macbook Pro being updated and by the Mac Mini not. 
    9secondkox2dewmeStrangeDayswatto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 28
    docno42docno42 Posts: 3,755member
    Still relentlessly focused on wattage and battery life - here's to still hoping for pure desktop chips or implementations scaled for always on power and amped up cooling  :#
    williamlondondanoxdoozydozenwatto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 28
    blastdoorblastdoor Posts: 3,278member
    docno42 said:
    Still relentlessly focused on wattage and battery life - here's to still hoping for pure desktop chips or implementations scaled for always on power and amped up cooling  :#
    Like this?

https://www.apple.com/mac-studio/
    appleinsideruserbageljoeylolliverAlex1NStrangeDayswatto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 28
    Some pre-WWDC rumors made it sound like the M2 wouldn't be an upgrade worthy of an integer increment, but it looks to me like that worry wasn't correct. This is a substantially upgraded SOC compared to M1. 

I think the issue is that the improvements came to components of the SOC other than the performance cores, and some people tend to focus almost exclusively on the performance cores. This clearly demonstrates that there's a lot more to the SOC than just the performance cores. 
    lolliverAlex1Nmuthuk_vanalingamwatto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 28
    9secondkox29secondkox2 Posts: 2,707member
    DAalseth said:
    I think they are waiting for the M2 Pro. 

Moving away from M1 in newly announced products now. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 28
    entropysentropys Posts: 4,166member
    blastdoor said:
    Some pre-WWDC rumors made it sound like the M2 wouldn't be an upgrade worthy of an integer increment, but it looks to me like that worry wasn't correct. This is a substantially upgraded SOC compared to M1. 

I think the issue is that the improvements came to components of the SOC other than the performance cores, and some people tend to focus almost exclusively on the performance cores. This clearly demonstrates that there's a lot more to the SOC than just the performance cores. 
    True.  It is a worthy upgrade although I am annoyed at the restriction it one screen and 24GB RAM limitation. They seem to be more marketing decisions to restrict M2 design and to make sure the M1Pro will get preferences for another six months.
    danox
  • Reply 10 of 28
    aderutteraderutter Posts: 604member
    entropys said:
    True.  It is a worthy upgrade although I am annoyed at the restriction it one screen and 24GB RAM limitation. They seem to be more marketing decisions to restrict M2 design and to make sure the M1Pro will get preferences for another six months.

For entry level devices I think a laptop screen and a single external monitor is enough, same with 24GB RAM.

If you need more you buy a better machine.
    lolliverForumPostAlex1Nmuthuk_vanalingamJapheydoozydozenwatto_cobrajony0
  • Reply 11 of 28
    mpantonempantone Posts: 2,040member
    docno42 said:
    Let it go: not with Apple's environmental initiatives.

The greenest power is the power that you don't use.

Secondly, over 85% of Mac sales are notebook models. We've already seen them create a new desktop product line Mac Studio because the cooling capacity of the Mac mini design was insufficient so in a way your dream is already reality.

It is highly unlikely that Apple is going to make some 400W SoC behemoth. Remember that large dies are far more costly and have much lower yields than smaller dies.
    williamlondonlolliverAlex1Nwatto_cobrajony0
  • Reply 12 of 28
    blastdoor said:

I'm guessing Apple actually employs people who know how to design semiconductors and presumably these people knew where the bottlenecks are and focused on them.

The biggest change in the M2 SoC is the impressive jump in memory bandwidth. They also increased secondary cache sizes and boosted the machine learning cores.

edited June 2022 lolliverAlex1Ndoozydozenwatto_cobrajony0
  • Reply 13 of 28
    dewmedewme Posts: 5,362member
    All in all, I thought the announced software improvements were a lot more impressive than the M2 Air and MacBook Pro 13 announcements. Finally unleashing some of the M1 potential of the latest iPad Pros is a very good sign. I was hoping for a M2 Mac mini but it looks like I'll have to wait a little longer. On the downside, too many "sneak peeks" for my liking. It's nice to know that Apple has some cool stuff in the pipeline, but who really knows when any of it will see the light of day. It's a recipe for another AirPower type of disappointment if they don't deliver very soon. 

Better start closing off pedestrian access to high bridges and tall buildings from all of the AR/VR fans who were begging to see any signs of life for their dreams and wishes. All I can say is get in line behind all of those who are waiting to take a test drive in an Apple Car. 
    muthuk_vanalingamwatto_cobra
  • Reply 14 of 28
    Alex1NAlex1N Posts: 130member
    And no sign of the Apple Silicon MacPro (as far as I can tell)…
    danoxwatto_cobra
  • Reply 15 of 28
    dewme said:
    All I can say is get in line behind all of those who are waiting to take a test drive in an Apple Car. 
    Apple Car isn't going to happen in the near future.

Autonomous driving technology needs to be heavily tested on public roads. Companies who are developing such technology are required to apply for permits to do so. Apple does have this permit here in California but the program does not have the same vehicle miles as companies like Waymo or Nuro.

For Apple to get California DMV and US DOT approval to market a mass-market autonomous vehicle they will likely need to show tens of millions of miles of successful prototype vehicle tests in a variety of conditions (dense fog, black ice, snowstorms, heavy night rainstorms, high wind), not just leisurely cruising through residential neighborhoods in Cupertino, Sunnyvale, Mountain View on sunny days.

Apple simply has not logged many miles. There are a few months where there were very few test vehicles and their actual mileage was extremely minimal. You can download the reports from the DMV website.

All of the major auto manufacturers are working on this, plus a bunch of startups. Many of these prototype test vehicles don't advertise their affiliation.

Recently I've seen a Mercedes with the typical array of odd appendages and instrumentations on the road. Realistically there is only one company on this planet who would pick a Mercedes to be a test platform for an autonomous vehicle: Daimler-Benz. I've seen a Toyota with a discreet marking of "Toyota Research Institute" on it. I'm keeping my eyes open for Porsche and BMW. They are probably around and I simply haven't seen them yet.
    edited June 2022 Alex1Nwatto_cobra
  • Reply 16 of 28
    danoxdanox Posts: 2,849member
    mpantone said:
    docno42 said:

Secondly, over 85% of Mac sales are notebook models. We've already seen them create a new desktop product line Mac Studio because the cooling capacity of the Mac mini design was insufficient so in a way your dream is already reality.

It is highly unlikely that Apple is going to make some 400W SoC behemoth. Remember that large dies are far more costly and have much lower yields than smaller dies.
    Apple doesn’t need to just make it go to 120 watts?
    Alex1N
  • Reply 17 of 28
    DAalseth said:
    I'm not.

Over 85% of Macs sold are notebook systems and the Air and entry-level MBP are the top selling models. My guess is that Apple prioritized the redesign of the MBA first (as the top selling Mac) and decided that the path of least resistance to upgrade the entry-level MBP was an SoC bump. This gets the devices out the door for back-to-school sale in July-August.

I myself was hoping for an M2 Mac mini but A.) desktop Macs aren't big unit sellers and B.) the Mac mini sells fewer units than the iMac. I expect the M2 Mac mini to come sometime this autumn though.
    Alex1Nwatto_cobra
  • Reply 18 of 28
    danox said:
    mpantone said:
    docno42 said:

Apple doesn’t need to just make it go to 120 watts?
    Nah, the M-series SoCs also include RAM, graphics cores, machine learning cores, memory controller, Secure Enclave, hardware video encode/decode and other functions that would be performed by what would be considered a northbridge chipset (like AMD X570) or other external silicon like the T1 Security Chip.

People here (and elsewhere) continue to erroneously think of the M-series SoCs as a traditional CPU.

The M2 is a great example of how differently Apple is approaching silicon development.

Much of its improvement over the M1 is due to memory bandwidth increases and superior machine learning capabilities. The nearly useless Geekbench measurement tool won't always capture the former and certainly won't accurately measure the latter.
    edited June 2022 Alex1Nwatto_cobra
  • Reply 19 of 28
    timmilleatimmillea Posts: 243member
    DAalseth said:
    It was. It is now the Mac Studio, bloated, overweight but apparently giving users what they want. 
    danoxwatto_cobra
  • Reply 20 of 28
    timmillea said:
    DAalseth said:
    It was. It is now the Mac Studio, bloated, overweight but apparently giving users what they want. 
    Are you Jony Ive’s anger translator?
    Alex1Nwatto_cobra