Apple Maps expanding to more cities & getting multistop routing in iOS 16

Posted:
in iOS
Apple announced upcoming Apple Maps features that will debut alongside iOS 16, including multistop routing and advanced syncing features across Apple devices.

Multistop routing will allow users to plan trips with up to 15 stops -- and even add stops using Siri voice commands while traveling. Additionally, users can plan trips on their Mac and sync them to their iPhone.

There will be expanded support for public transit, too. For example, users will be able to see how much their trip will cost, add their transit card to Wallet, and replenish their transit card balance from within Maps.

Additionally, Apple will be expanding its improved Apple Maps coverage to the following countries:
  • Belgium

• France

• Israel

• Liechtenstein

• Luxembourg

• Monaco

• Netherlands

• New Zealand

• Palestinian Territories

• Saudi Arabia

• Switzerland
This year, Apple has continued to improve Apple Maps, adding new three-dimensional landmarks, improved transit tracking, and expanding features such as Look Around and Siri Natural Language Guidance.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 15
    Wot? No Canada? No Quebec?
  • Reply 2 of 15
    Multi-stop routing? FINALLY?! NO WAY! This was my biggest beef with Apple Maps.  Here's hoping it's added to the Mac Desktop version, too, since that's where I usually do my trip planning.
    MasterBathingBearBeatsentropysJFC_PAdewmeMrBunsidedreyp82watto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 15
    Now I just need Siri to recommend trip optimizations so I don’t have to manually swap the order of stops until I get the fastest or most efficient route. 
    BeatsmeterestnzMariner8watto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 15
    creek0512creek0512 Posts: 111member
    Uh....Apple already announced the Canada expansion at WWDC 2 years ago.

Canada has had the new maps since 2020, including Look Around coverage everywhere and detailed city maps for Toronto, Montreal, and Vancouver.
    lolliverMrBunsidedreyp82watto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 15
    entropysentropys Posts: 4,163member
    With the look around feature and multistage map support it is pretty much there now as a map app. Competitive with Google maps.  Now Apple needs to roll features out worldwide more quickly and evenly, and most importantly, keep updating things like look around regularly.
    muthuk_vanalingamdreyp82watto_cobracaladanian
  • Reply 6 of 15
    dreyp82dreyp82 Posts: 1member
    Canada has the new map already.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 15
    The only thing stopping me from switching is a "Drive Mode" that allows me to use Maps as a traditional, stand alone GPS. Waze does this but oddly (since Google owns waze) Google Maps and Apple Maps do not.
    macgui
  • Reply 8 of 15
    command_fcommand_f Posts: 421member
    The problem remains that while Apple counts cities where Look Around works, Google counts countries for Street View.

Apple's mapping locations page has listed lots of parts of the UK where they are capturing imagery (including my town) but there's nothing online yet to show for it. Perhaps there's some big update coming but catching Google is a huge task.
    muthuk_vanalingamStrangeDayscaladanian
  • Reply 9 of 15
    In Australia even outback towns like Gulf Country Normanton and Burketown have Look Around. That is impressive, and so much better and responsive to use than street view.

the main thing Apple needs to do now is just accelerate the roll out and then globally update at decent regularity.  Employ people to keep the Look Around up to date, and fix errors quickly.
    command_fwatto_cobraAlex1Ncaladanian
  • Reply 10 of 15
    command_fcommand_f Posts: 421member
    entropys said:
    In Australia even outback towns like Gulf Country Normanton and Burketown have Look Around. That is impressive, and so much better and responsive to use than street view.

the main thing Apple needs to do now is just accelerate the roll out and then globally update at decent regularity.  Employ people to keep the Look Around up to date, and fix errors quickly. 
    It *is* impressive: I've just looked at Uluru using Look Around from the small desert road that runs alongside it. Roll on that level of coverage in UK!
    entropyswatto_cobra
  • Reply 11 of 15
    macguimacgui Posts: 2,357member
    Multi-stop routing? FINALLY?! NO WAY! This was my biggest beef with Apple Maps.  Here's hoping it's added to the Mac Desktop version, too, since that's where I usually do my trip planning.
    I'm really looking forward to this as it's often needed to make two or three stops in a day and it's a drag to program in the next destination.

It was said at WWDC that this would be done on a Mac and handed off to the iPhone. Doing it on the phone would be even better.

Now I just need Siri to recommend trip optimizations so I don’t have to manually swap the order of stops until I get the fastest or most efficient route. 
    That would be great though there are might be times when I would want to use a particular order (times scheduled etc.) that's not the most efficient route. The ability to add a stop to an existing route is also pretty cool.

The only thing stopping me from switching is a "Drive Mode" that allows me to use Maps as a traditional, stand alone GPS. Waze does this but oddly (since Google owns waze) Google Maps and Apple Maps do not.
    By "Drive Mode" do you mean how a dedicated GPS is always showing where you are and where you're going, etc. without ever plugging in a destination?  That's what I miss about my old Garmin the always on when I'd start the car. That would be awesome. I've sent that to Apple Feed back on numerous occasions.

watto_cobra
  • Reply 12 of 15
    You will be able to do  waypoints on your phone or iPad too, the hand off works across your devices I expect. They we’re just showing of travel,planning in your Mac. What I would be really impressive is if you could do it on a windows machine in a browser and the. Send it to your devices.
    I am not sure what’s drive mode is, but what you describe you can do in carplay just be tapping the GPS arrow in the top corner (top LHS in my country, not sure about countries with LHD).
    edited June 2022 watto_cobraAlex1N
  • Reply 13 of 15
    beowulfschmidtbeowulfschmidt Posts: 2,128member

Agreed!  The only feature left now to get me completely off of Waze is better rerouting around traffic problems.  Apple's is good, but Waze's excellent, and faster.

The Traveling Salesman Problem: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Travelling_salesman_problem

There are solutions to this issue, but they are "computationally difficult", as the article puts it.  I don't know if that means it would be too complex for a phone, or not.

watto_cobra
  • Reply 14 of 15
    entropys said:
    I am not sure what’s drive mode is, but what you describe you can do in carplay just be tapping the GPS arrow in the top corner (top LHS in my country, not sure about countries with LHD).
    I don't have CarPlay and don't have the finds or the time to upgrade my head unit. That's said, CarPlay does do exactly what I want but I don't understand why the non-CarPlay app will not.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 15 of 15
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,871member
    Still waiting for Look Around in New Orleans, a major US city with tons of tourism, multiple pro sportsball teams, repeatedly hosts the Super Bowl, etc. 
    Alex1N