New M2 MacBook Air & MacBook Pro still only support one external monitor

Comments

• Reply 21 of 46
    MplsPMplsP Posts: 3,931member
    netrox said:
    lam92103 said:
    USB-A ports also still missing

USB-C is the future. USB4 mandates the use of the USB-C interface. While the protocol remains backward compatible, you need the adaptor/dongle if your device is USB-A. 

There is literally no reason for device makers to keep supporting USB-A that is truly outdated. 
    You need to tell the rest of the world that. USB A supports up to USB 3.2 and is still the most common connector on the market. 
    muthuk_vanalingamAI_lias
  • Reply 22 of 46
    mobird said:
    mpantone said:
    Another benefit of USB-C is the bi-directional plug. There isn't a right side up.

And that right there is enough to confuse people... :*

I like how people try to use that as an argument for why USB A should go away. Really? Because you’re not smart enough to figure out which side goes up?
    muthuk_vanalingamgrandact73
  • Reply 23 of 46
    Honestly this shouldn’t be surprising -  how many MBA users really need more than one external monitor? If you’re doing work on a laptop that needs 2 monitors the MBP would be a better choice for you anyway. 
    Alex1N
  • Reply 24 of 46
    mpantonempantone Posts: 2,040member
    entropys said:
    I am not spending big money to have to carry adapters around. How…inelegant.
    Well then congratulations, you have owned your very last MacBook Air.
    edited June 2022
  • Reply 25 of 46
        What I find ridiculous with the M2 chip is the fact that it does not support 2 external monitors. This has been a standard feature of Intel chips for a long time. I also find it apalling that to get a standard feature in a MacBook from 2019 or previous I have to purchase their higher end pro/etc. chips. Particularly since with the M1 pro and Max we know that they can support external monitors greater than one. This is particularly galling because these computers cost $1,000 Also 2 external mintors on ANY Mac in the last 5 years has been a standard feature for the same price.
    What we don’t need is more/faster speed on a chip that is already blazing fast for most people. What we need is a greater feature set on The chip. When you purchased an Intel chip even on the lowest and Mac you had a guaranteed To external monitor support, a eGPU (frankly a real GPU!!) on there desktops and laptops built-in or through the EGPU functionality.  
        These Apple M chips are Fisher-Price chips in comparison to Intel. At the rate they are moving it will take them 20 years to integrate all of the features that were in a basic Intel i3 CPU on the Mac. It will be a sad day when they cut off Intel chips from future macOS updates. The only thing the Apple M chips have going for them is speed and battery life if you’re on a laptop.
        Other than that they pale in comparison. It will be even worse when Apple removes Rosetta2 from macOS and then you are stuck with the ARM architecture and nothing else.  It is a shame at this point that Apple only allows macOS to run on Apple hardware. If Apple were smart they would open source macOS 10.15 and back and then Apple can go exile themselves on their apple chipset island. Apple can at least leave us Intel users with a decent Open-sourced operating system because Windows 10/11 is frankly a disaster.
  • Reply 26 of 46
    pjorlando said:
    That’s unfortunate 
    Not just unfortunate but really sucks. I think they did it on purpose so people would have to buy more of their products. They designed that chip from the ground up surely the designers were not stupid. This was intentional I reckon. How can such a powerful chipset with supposedly high bragging specs not be able to run two 4K monitors..?
    AI_liascaladanian
  • Reply 27 of 46
    pjorlando said:
    That’s unfortunate 
    Not just unfortunate but really sucks. I think they did it on purpose so people would have to buy more of their products. They designed that chip from the ground up surely the designers were not stupid. This was intentional I reckon. How can such a powerful chipset with supposedly high bragging specs not be able to run two 4K monitors..?

I agree; I think this is intentional. I understand Apple wants to sell computers & preferably higher end computers; However,I think more people would buy their products if their base models supported features old mac's had just 3 years ago & ANY windows computer from $300-$1,000. I Think Apple is taking their customer base severely for granted.
    AI_liascaladanian
  • Reply 28 of 46
    bestkeptsecretbestkeptsecret Posts: 4,265member
    mpantone said:
    Another benefit of USB-C is the bi-directional plug. There isn't a right side up.

LOL, when I plug in a USB-A cable, it always seems like I need 2-3 tries to get it to seat.  ;)

And the USB-C connector standard can carry far more in the way of video, data and power than the legacy USB-A connector.

usb.png 71.1K
  • Reply 29 of 46
    JapheyJaphey Posts: 1,767member
    mpantone said:

LOL, when I plug in a USB-A cable, it always seems like I need 2-3 tries to get it to seat.  ;)

And the USB-C connector standard can carry far more in the way of video, data and power than the legacy USB-A connector.
    Lol. I kept track of my success rate for a whole week once. You would think that with only 2 possible outcomes, that it would be 50-50 right? Nah. I was only successful on the first try about 10% of the time. 
    RIP USB-A. 
  • Reply 30 of 46
    Japhey said:
    mpantone said:

Lol. I kept track of my success rate for a whole week once. You would think that with only 2 possible outcomes, that it would be 50-50 right? Nah. I was only successful on the first try about 10% of the time. 
    RIP USB-A. 
    I have taken to putting on a little piece of masking tape on the "top" side. Some cables have some sort of symbol, but it's usually embossed black plastic on black plastic which is hard for my tired old eyes to discern. One particularly stupid USB-A cable has the company name (*cough* Sabrent *cough*) on both sides. Ugh.

With Lightning or USB-C connectors, I don't care. Hell, even the 30-pin Dock connector had a right and wrong way.

The worst was figuring out which mini or micro USB-B connector or cable to use. So I ended up slapping a piece of masking tape and writing "Jabra" or "Harmony 650" or something else so I knew which AC adapter or cable to use with which device.

Unfortunately USB-A is going to be around for years to come but I can't wait for the day it rides off into the sunset like the Dock connector.

The clock is ticking for unidirectional video connectors like HDMI and DisplayPort. We already have DisplayPort over USB-C/Thunderbolt.
    edited June 2022
  • Reply 31 of 46
    AI_liasAI_lias Posts: 434member
    It’s disappointing for all but hardest Apple kool-aid drinkers for Apple to make this kind of decision. Many times I almost purchased a refurb loaded Air only to catch myself and think of the upcoming one which surely will support dual external monitors. I think the feeling is, hey we helped you put your hundreds of billions in the bank, throw us a bone every now and then. The screen remained small. That was one, but this one, no dual external monitors was just uncalled for. Might be small beans for some but the effect it was on Apple as a company is much bigger. 
    grandact73
  • Reply 32 of 46
    AI_lias said:
    It’s disappointing for all but hardest Apple kool-aid drinkers for Apple to make this kind of decision. Many times I almost purchased a refurb loaded Air only to catch myself and think of the upcoming one which surely will support dual external monitors. 
    LOL...the new Air/MBP can drive a single 6K monitor. Most Intel laptops in the same price range support dual 4K (not Retina) or single 5K. Apple obviously uses the Retina standard for their products so they're not going to focus on driving dual non-Retina monitors. 
  • Reply 33 of 46
    danoxdanox Posts: 2,874member
    This is ridiculous I waited for this machine because I don’t need a pro machine since I primarily work with spreadsheets! Apple is only catering for these video editors who make up less of the user base! Normal people who work don’t edit videos all day so we don’t need all that extra power but when we work remote or even at our desk we connect into monitors and the more space the better!!! Apple is forcing us to get a pro machine we don’t need! It’s 2022 and I’m still stuck with an intel MacBook!
    I feel your pain there are many things, Apple isn’t making based strictly on marketing decisions not technical.

Like using the camera on a iPhone as a webcam, which should have happen back in the days of the 4s iPhone.

Finally happened.

Another item why can’t you sit two new 24” iMacs side by side connected together and use them as one computer if you choose to? (that 24”iMac screen is very nice).

We are in the era of multiple screens for many people, the decision was marketing not technical.

Note: curated Apple monitors have over years been much better than LG and Samsung making monitors on their own for Mac users.
  • Reply 34 of 46
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,096member
    crowley said:
    mpantone said:
    lam92103 said:
    That ship has sailed. USB-A ports aren't coming back to the Air. 
    Like HDMI?
    Where is the HDMI port in the MBA?

Oh yeah, there isn’t one.  Nor will they’re ever be.  Nice try though.
  • Reply 35 of 46
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    sflocal said:
    crowley said:
    mpantone said:
    lam92103 said:
    Like HDMI?

You know what I meant though didn't you?

Things that are gone can come back.

I could have mentioned the SD card slot instead, how about that?
    muthuk_vanalingamMplsP
  • Reply 36 of 46
    Somewhere on a whiteboard in Cupertino, there's a wishlist of desired features for the MacBook Air.

Senior management crosses out HDMI every time it shows up on that whiteboard.

Every. Single. Time.

And this probably follows years of MBA prototypes with HDMI ports getting thrown on the scrap heap after a new MacBook Air is launched.

It's worth pointing out that Thunderbolt has more functionality (data, video, power) than the legacy HDMI connector.

That said, I am happy that my ghetto Acer Swift 3 notebook has an HDMI port. (Yes, it also has Thunderbolt.)

:p 

It's important to remember that all products include compromises: features, cost, price, availability, etc. and are still subject to the laws of physics.

And no one can please everyone all the time.
    edited June 2022 AI_lias
  • Reply 37 of 46
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,810member
    crowley said:
    sflocal said:
    crowley said:
    mpantone said:
    lam92103 said:
    Like HDMI?

You know what I meant though didn't you?

Things that are gone can come back.

I could have mentioned the SD card slot instead, how about that?
    The HDMI port also isn't changing unlike USB-A vs USB-C. The HDMI port can stay the same even though the spec improves. Why would Apple go backwards with USB-A on a laptop? I doubt you'll ever see a USB-A port on any future Mac laptop, including future versions of the MacBook Pro. If Apple wanted to include USB-A it would have done so on the current M1 version of the MacBook Pro when they redesigned it. 
  • Reply 38 of 46
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,810member
    mpantone said:
    Somewhere on a whiteboard in Cupertino, there's a wishlist of desired features for the MacBook Air.

Every. Single. Time.

And this probably follows years of MBA prototypes with HDMI ports getting thrown on the scrap heap after a new MacBook Air is launched.

It's worth pointing out that Thunderbolt has more functionality (data, video, power) than the legacy HDMI connector.

That said, I am happy that my ghetto Acer Swift 3 notebook has an HDMI port. (Yes, it also has Thunderbolt.)

It's important to remember that all products include compromises: features, cost, price, availability, etc. and are still subject to the laws of physics.

And yet the MacBook Air is still the best selling laptop....so I'm guessing the lack of both a USB-A port and an HDMI port is really a non issue. If it were, then it wouldn't be the best selling laptop. 
    edited June 2022
  • Reply 39 of 46
        What I find ridiculous with the M2 chip is the fact that it does not support 2 external monitors. This has been a standard feature of Intel chips for a long time. I also find it apalling that to get a standard feature in a MacBook from 2019 or previous I have to purchase their higher end pro/etc. chips. Particularly since with the M1 pro and Max we know that they can support external monitors greater than one. This is particularly galling because these computers cost $1,000 Also 2 external mintors on ANY Mac in the last 5 years has been a standard feature for the same price.
    What we don’t need is more/faster speed on a chip that is already blazing fast for most people. What we need is a greater feature set on The chip. When you purchased an Intel chip even on the lowest and Mac you had a guaranteed To external monitor support, a eGPU (frankly a real GPU!!) on there desktops and laptops built-in or through the EGPU functionality.  
        These Apple M chips are Fisher-Price chips in comparison to Intel. At the rate they are moving it will take them 20 years to integrate all of the features that were in a basic Intel i3 CPU on the Mac. It will be a sad day when they cut off Intel chips from future macOS updates. The only thing the Apple M chips have going for them is speed and battery life if you’re on a laptop.
        Other than that they pale in comparison. It will be even worse when Apple removes Rosetta2 from macOS and then you are stuck with the ARM architecture and nothing else.  It is a shame at this point that Apple only allows macOS to run on Apple hardware. If Apple were smart they would open source macOS 10.15 and back and then Apple can go exile themselves on their apple chipset island. Apple can at least leave us Intel users with a decent Open-sourced operating system because Windows 10/11 is frankly a disaster.
    Where do you see that? The old MacBook Air had an M1 chip and only supported one monitor, but MacBook Pros with the M1 supported more. Aside from that, the MacBook Air is Apple's lower-powered offering, and how many people need more than one external monitor anyway? If you need more than one external monitor then get a MBP.

You clearly have no clue what you're talking about anyway. Intel is still trying to catch up to the M1 in many areas. Which is exactly why Apple ditched Intel to begin with.
  • Reply 40 of 46
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    macxpress said:
    mpantone said:

Every. Single. Time.

And yet the MacBook Air is still the best selling laptop....so I'm guessing the lack of both a USB-A port and an HDMI port is really a non issue. If it were, then it wouldn't be the best selling laptop. 
    There's a range of different issue levels between something being a deal-breaking issue, and something being a non-issue.  Apple selling laptops doesn't not mean that the purchasers of those laptops aren't annoyed by the lack of USB-A.  It's not a good idea to annoy your customers.
    muthuk_vanalingamAI_lias