Apple's iPadOS 16 brings full external display support, overlapping windows to M1 iPads

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 23
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,881member
    brianus said:
    danvm said:
    I find interesting how a years ago how Apple told everyone that touchscreen notebooks were "ergonomically terrible", and that's what we have today with the iPad Pro.  Apple is definitely changing.  

Steve Jobs: Touchscreen Laptops Don't Work (businessinsider.com)
    Well, I think he meant just slapping a touchscreen on an existing laptop form factor and UI was dumb and pointless. And he was right. That doesn't mean that a tablet can't make a decent laptop replacement given good peripherals and software support though. Kind of the reverse of what he was talking about.
    Entirely right; the poster you’re replying too has it backwards. Trying to reach up and touch the screen to do all this stuff *is* ergonomically terrible. Using a touchpad on your iPad (and the keyboard as much as possible) is entirely different. It’s a pointer-based system, not dependent on reaching up and touching the display. 

Hands down, not hands up.
    edited June 2022
  • Reply 22 of 23
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,881member
    They're making iPadOS less and less crippled, but never go far enough.  We need third party web engines.  We need Java.  Will need apps from outside the App Store.  In short, we need to control our devices the same as the Mac. Apple deciding what code users can run is what holds iPadOS back from replacing the Mac and taking a large share of the Windows installed base. 
    Dear god, no, we *don’t* need Java. You don’t know what you’re talking about, I’m afraid. “Write Once Run Many” is a marketing phrase for a company that markets a cross-platform engine, but Java apps suck for most people most of the time. iPadOS doesn’t need this. Native apps are superior to cross-platform kit apps, every time. 

Sounds like you want a Mac. Get a Mac. 
    tht
  • Reply 23 of 23
    danvmdanvm Posts: 1,409member
    brianus said:
    danvm said:
    I find interesting how a years ago how Apple told everyone that touchscreen notebooks were "ergonomically terrible", and that's what we have today with the iPad Pro.  Apple is definitely changing.  

Steve Jobs: Touchscreen Laptops Don't Work (businessinsider.com)
    Well, I think he meant just slapping a touchscreen on an existing laptop form factor and UI was dumb and pointless. And he was right. That doesn't mean that a tablet can't make a decent laptop replacement given good peripherals and software support though. Kind of the reverse of what he was talking about.
    Entirely right; the poster you’re replying too has it backwards. Trying to reach up and touch the screen to do all this stuff *is* ergonomically terrible. Using a touchpad on your iPad (and the keyboard as much as possible) is entirely different. It’s a pointer-based system, not dependent on reaching up and touching the display. 

Hands down, not hands up.
    Read the link I posted.  Apple said that touchscreen notebooks are "ergonomically terrible".  And those notebooks had touchpads / mouse.  At least notebook users had touchscreen in addition to trackpads and mouse, so they weren't forced to touch screens as Apple did with the Smart Keyboard.  Now we have the Magic Keyboard to make iPad work as a touchscreen notebook.  So now iPads have the same "bad experience" as touchscreen notebooks.  
    edited June 2022