Totally loving Safari now?

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
I really liked safari when it firstly came out but once I started using it as my primary browser I started to stumble across little bugs etc which meant I still had to go and use IE or whatever. Well now with the latest release it just totally rocks.

What do all you guys/gals think? Still lots of room for improvement?Or are you satisfied enough?

Really loving Safari now! (OT: Oh and this colour)

Comments

• Reply 1 of 43
    overhopeoverhope Posts: 1,123member
    Yes, I've now dumped IE from the Dock and I'm using Safari fulltime.

The only minor grievance I still have with it is that it screws up my own website (though all the others I work on now render correctly). Probably my own fault for cheating totally and having floating cell sizes in various table, so I'm going to regard it as an excellent opportunity to redo all the graphics...
  • Reply 2 of 43
    ast3r3xast3r3x Posts: 5,012member
    I like safari, and its my primary browser but is there a way to get it NOT to ask for my pw when i open it everytime?
  • Reply 3 of 43
    bill mbill m Posts: 324member
    I also use Safari as my primary browser, but it still has some major issues with Java applets on some of the sites I visit on a daily basis, including my bank. It doesn't seem to be an OS issue, since Exploder still renders those Java applets correctly, albeit really slow.

Why is it that Java is so "iffy" in Safari? Will it ever work well?

\
  • Reply 4 of 43
    mattismattis Posts: 17member
    i love it but it still always has problems with windows media player and java but the tabs and autofill are cooljavascript:smilie('8)')
  • Reply 5 of 43
    I am totally in love with the latest release. I tried using v.60-v.67 and did not care for it. Too many problems with pages and it had a tendency to just time out while trying to load certain pages. It was very frustrating. However v.73 finally works with few apparent bugs, and actually seems faster than Camino on my computer.
  • Reply 6 of 43
    amorphamorph Posts: 7,112member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Bill M

I also use Safari as my primary browser, but it still has some major issues with Java applets on some of the sites I visit on a daily basis, including my bank. It doesn't seem to be an OS issue, since Exploder still renders those Java applets correctly, albeit really slow.

Why is it that Java is so "iffy" in Safari? Will it ever work well?

\

Safari uses Java 1.4.1 by default (if it's available). IE uses Java 1.3. That might explain the differences.

There's a way to get Safari to use Java 1.3 if you have both runtimes. I don't have it to hand, but it shouldn't be too hard to find.
  • Reply 7 of 43
    Quote:

Originally posted by Amorph

Safari uses Java 1.4.1 by default (if it's available). IE uses Java 1.3. That might explain the differences.

There's a way to get Safari to use Java 1.3 if you have both runtimes. I don't have it to hand, but it shouldn't be too hard to find.

According to Apple, updating to Java 1.4.1 does not replace older Java versions (i.e. 1.3.1), but rather adds the new one. This is so apps that rely upon older Java versions won't break after the update. So, if I still have both runtimes, how do I change Safari from its default Java 1.4.1 to 1.3?
  • Reply 8 of 43
    badtzbadtz Posts: 949member
    i like the new safari also....

question :::

is there any way to get safari to play mpgs in the browser?
  • Reply 9 of 43
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    Loved it since the first beta. I have 100s of bookmarks and the way Safari does bookmarks allows you to handle MASSIVE amounts of information easily.

However the new version needs to be restarted frequently since after a while it'll just stop loading pages. They just come up blank. Restarting Safari fixes this.
  • Reply 10 of 43
    mrmistermrmister Posts: 1,095member
    When it can do simple contextual menu commands I'll be delighted to use it.
  • Reply 11 of 43
    Well, as suggested by Amorph, I searched and found the way to force Safari into bypassing Java 1.4.1 for a previous version. Easy one step details and explanation here:

Pick Java version for Safari - from Apple

I tried it. Safari still chokes on the same Java applets that Explorer handles correctly. There must be something else at fault here.

• Reply 12 of 43
    so does anyone else have to enter their password everytime they start it up or dont u have that problem...why does it do this it says it wants to access my keychain...y?
  • Reply 13 of 43
    No problems here. I launch it and it loads without asking keychain access.

What do you have for a homepage in Safari preferences? Change it to apple.com or something similar and try again. Maybe whatever website you have there calls for a password from your keychain.
  • Reply 14 of 43
    Quote:

Originally posted by Bill M

No problems here. I launch it and it loads without asking keychain access.

What do you have for a homepage in Safari preferences? Change it to apple.com or something similar and try again. Maybe whatever website you have there calls for a password from your keychain.

heh...i doubt google needs access to that, but i could be wrong
  • Reply 15 of 43
    trevormtrevorm Posts: 841member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Aquatic

Loved it since the first beta. I have 100s of bookmarks and the way Safari does bookmarks allows you to handle MASSIVE amounts of information easily.

However the new version needs to be restarted frequently since after a while it'll just stop loading pages. They just come up blank. Restarting Safari fixes this.

Yeah I really like the bookmark management feature. I must literally have around a 1000 bookmarks perfectly sorted in a handy fashion!
  • Reply 16 of 43
    spartspart Posts: 2,060member
    Quote:

Originally posted by ast3r3x

heh...i doubt google needs access to that, but i could be wrong

Indeed it does, Safari keeps your autofill stuff secure. This includes the little search box on Google.com.

It doesn't give your PW out to any site for whatever reason though. In fact, I don't think Safari even gets access to it, rather it has permission to access the item in your keychain. Or something like that.
  • Reply 17 of 43
    paulpaul Posts: 5,278member
    safari refuses to work for me tried reinstalling, no luck... OW may hawe screwed something up... oh well.. I DONT CARE!!
  • Reply 18 of 43
    Quote:

Originally posted by Spart

Indeed it does, Safari keeps your autofill stuff secure. This includes the little search box on Google.com.

It doesn't give your PW out to any site for whatever reason though. In fact, I don't think Safari even gets access to it, rather it has permission to access the item in your keychain. Or something like that.

so how do i fix this, i dont want to to ask me
  • Reply 19 of 43
    drewpropsdrewprops Posts: 2,321member
    It won't remember the new homepage that I set for it.

EVER!

Other than that I like it...but it crashes a lot more than the last version.

a LOT more!
  • Reply 20 of 43
    giantgiant Posts: 6,041member
    Quote:

Originally posted by ast3r3x

so does anyone else have to enter their password everytime they start it up or dont u have that problem...why does it do this it says it wants to access my keychain...y?

It's doing this to me as well, and I'm not sure why. I can't see anything that would cause it.

also, how do I get rid of the java console?