Apple developing 14.1-inch iPad Pro with M2 chip, two sources claim

Posted:
in iPad
Apple may be developing a larger iPad Pro model with a 14.1-inch mini LED display and an M2 chipset for a potential release in early 2023, according to a display analyst.

iPad Pro
iPad Pro

Ross Young of Display Supply Chain Consultants (DSCC) on Thursday said that his supply chain sources confirmed a 14.1-inch iPad Pro was being developed. The model will have both ProMotion, Face ID, and mini LED backlighting, he added.

As far as release timing, Young said he isn't able to confirm when the device might debut. However, he said that an early 2023 launch could be likely.

The display analyst's confirmation appears to be in response to a tidbit from leaker Majin Bu on Wednesday. According to Bu, Apple is developing a 14.1-inch iPad Pro with an M2 chip and 16GB of base memory. He added that the device would be released alongside an 11-inch iPad Pro and a 12.9-inch iPad Pro with reduced bezels.

The pair of rumors are the first time we've seen any information related to a 14.-inch display size specifically. However, back in June 2021, Bloomberg reported that Apple was considering iPad Pro models with larger displays.

Young has an excellent track record of reporting accurate display-related Apple information. Bu's track record is much more hit-or-miss, but the leaker appears to have accurately released information about Apple's Stage Manager before WWDC 2022.

At the time, Bloomberg indicated that Apple was only exploring larger display sizes for its tablets. It added that a version with a beefier screen could arrive a "couple of years down the road at the earliest."

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 24
    thttht Posts: 5,421member
    To see how big 14.1 4:3 is, just look at an 8.5x11 sheet of paper. It's pretty darn close. Add about 0.3" on each side for bezel.

Biggest issue with large tablet isn't necessarily its size. It's the weight. It going to be about 1.8 to 2 lb. That's pretty heavy to be hand holding for long period of time. So, it will basically be a desk-tablet.
    twokatmewentropyswatto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 24
    AniMillAniMill Posts: 155member
    “Shut up and take my money!”
    mattinozTheObannonFilewatto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 24
    Hmmm...could this mean that a 27" or larger M2 iMac might show up in 2023? It would be ridiculous to have that many iPad sizes and continue with only one iMac size. 
    9secondkox2watto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 24
    A little more convergence and we'll reach the MacPad that quite a few people have been long waiting for.
    williamlondonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 24
    multimediamultimedia Posts: 1,035member
    It’ll be too heavy.
    williamlondonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 24
    Honestly I wish they would focus on a bigger version of its lower end iPads.  Maybe an iPad+ with a 12.5 inch screen or an iPad Air+ with a 12.7 inch screen.  The fact that they are reserving bigger screens for the pro models makes no sense when every day uses would like the real estate as well.
    williamlondonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 24
    aderutteraderutter Posts: 604member
    I’d love this for ZBrush sculpting
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 24
    wood1208wood1208 Posts: 2,905member
    Bigger(screen) is better for many real world applications usage. Basically, iPad Pro will be like more portable touch screen MAC.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 24
    JinTechJinTech Posts: 1,020member
    tht said:
    To see how big 14.1 4:3 is, just look at an 8.5x11 sheet of paper. It's pretty darn close. Add about 0.3" on each side for bezel.

Biggest issue with large tablet isn't necessarily its size. It's the weight. It going to be about 1.8 to 2 lb. That's pretty heavy to be hand holding for long period of time. So, it will basically be a desk-tablet.
    That's why you get a strap for the back.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 10 of 24
    JapheyJaphey Posts: 1,767member
    16GB of base memory? Surely that must be a typo, right?
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 11 of 24
    entropysentropys Posts: 4,152member
    Just release the next IPP please, it’s time to retire this 10.5 IPP with stagelight.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 12 of 24
    Japhey said:
    16GB of base memory? Surely that must be a typo, right?
    It's a rumor. What's a typo with rumors. ;)

Yes, probably not the base SKU. If it is $1300, it's probably 8 GB RAM, 256 GB storage. If it is $2000 with 1 TB of storage, 16 GB of RAM. If it is true, hopefully it will have a 24 GB RAM 2 TB storage option. I'd even go up to 4 TB.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 13 of 24
    Hmmm...could this mean that a 27" or larger M2 iMac might show up in 2023? It would be ridiculous to have that many iPad sizes and continue with only one iMac size. 
    I truly believe the iMac Pro is coming. Perhaps 27” and 32”. Apple seems to be embracing the collective desire for larger screen. Strongly rumored 15” air, 14” iPad, come on 18 inch MBP and 32” iMac!
    edited June 2022 watto_cobra
  • Reply 14 of 24
    wonkothesanewonkothesane Posts: 1,717member
    wood1208 said:
    Bigger(screen) is better for many real world applications usage. Basically, iPad Pro will be like more portable touch screen MAC.
    As long as certain apps are not on par with their MacOS counterpart, it does not serve me as a replacement, unfortunately. FCP and Lightroom come to my mind. Not to mention Resolve and others. I would love to have the hybrid, but right now, when traveling I need to carry both behind, the iPad and the MBP if I want to accomplish certain tasks.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 15 of 24
    wonkothesanewonkothesane Posts: 1,717member
    tht said:

Yes, it is big. And I don‘t think the target is using it hand-held. But either with the Keyboard/trackpad when in „MBP“-mode, or flat on the desk for drawing, pencil note taking. So , with pro apps on par with the MacOS side, it would be great for those two use cases. For hand-held media consumption a smaller one obviously would be easier to keep in your hands.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 16 of 24
    neilmneilm Posts: 985member
    Not just weight, but also inertia. If you've ever held a 12.9" iPad in one hand and wiggled it around, you'll know what I mean. A 14.1" iPad would be that much worse. As others have said, the main usage would likely not be as a handheld.

Is there a decent market for such a device? Beats me — I find the 12.9" too big.
    dewmewatto_cobra
  • Reply 17 of 24
    tht said:

Yes, it is big. And I don‘t think the target is using it hand-held. But either with the Keyboard/trackpad when in „MBP“-mode, or flat on the desk for drawing, pencil note taking. So , with pro apps on par with the MacOS side, it would be great for those two use cases. For hand-held media consumption a smaller one obviously would be easier to keep in your hands.
    Yes. I'm all in with Apple shipping this size tablet, then moving up to foldables. Just keep on going on both ends of the scale. Maybe a 16" tablet, where it's basically the upper limit for fitting inside backpacks. Then, they can move to foldables. A 14" foldable, where when folded you have a 14.1" of "display" would make a nice sized external monitor of 20". A 16" foldable would be 23" unfolded. All assuming you don't see a crease.

And, I wonder if a 8" 19:9 iPad nano would make an interesting product. iPhone aspect ratio. Less than 3.5" wide so you can still comfortable thumb type. You can still fit it in most pockets. Would be great for videos.
    wonkothesanewatto_cobra
  • Reply 18 of 24
    9secondkox29secondkox2 Posts: 2,666member
    That’s awesome. I’d love bigger screens on all my devices. 

I wished there was a 15” or larger iPad a year ago when I installed a large venue lighting system. We wanted touch screen for programming and running shows. But ended up adding an MS Studio to the all Mac mix to accomplish that. Hated it. 

Can’t wait for the day where there will simply be appleOS THAT IS RESPONSIVE AND RECONFIGURES BASED ON THE DEVICE ITS ON. 

And I can’t wait for the day Macs have touch capability. 

As far as the iPad, it’s shaping up to be a nice laptop alternative. It’s not a replacement, considering all of the things you must add to it in order to help it function like a laptop. 

But there are situations where an iPad with laptop capabilities comes in handy. 

The apple laptop form factor is kind of like the wheel now. It’s the perfect computer. You mess with it too much snd it only hurts the experience. 

The iPad is the perfect tablet. But it would be handy when the Mac gets touch features and the iOS devices can do app portal management snd utilize keyboards, mice, and external monitors (as well as run full fledged software). The power has been there for a year now. No reason to compromise. 

At the same time, no reason to only add capability to iPad. Let’s add touch to mac, regardless if it is heavily utilized or not. Let it be there for the situations and users that benefit. Stop holding the Mac back. 
    edited June 2022 watto_cobra
  • Reply 19 of 24
    dewmedewme Posts: 5,335member
    neilm said:
    Not just weight, but also inertia. If you've ever held a 12.9" iPad in one hand and wiggled it around, you'll know what I mean. A 14.1" iPad would be that much worse. As others have said, the main usage would likely not be as a handheld.

Is there a decent market for such a device? Beats me — I find the 12.9" too big.

Me too. The jumbo iPads make pretty good touchscreen notebook replacements when used with a keyboard and trackpad. However, I find using them as tablets to be very clumsy, and especially so in portrait orientation. I have a 10.5" iPad Pro that I use with a keyboard+trackpad on a kitchen island and without a keyboard on the sofa. It excels in both use cases. It's about the perfect size for a multi-functional portable computer.

I also have a 12.9" iPad Pro, the slabinator maximus, and using it as a tablet on the sofa is like balancing a hefty cafeteria tray or gladiator shield in my hands. It's such a beast and my most regrettable iPad purchase ever. Wish I'd bought another MacBook Air instead. In fact, the new M2 MacBook Air may just be the next Apple purchase that pushes the regret of my 12.9" iPad Pro purchase deep enough into my long term memory so as to not inspire the scorn that I feel every time I see the massive thing glaring at me from its permanent home on my desk while it's tethered to a keyboard.
  • Reply 20 of 24
    danvmdanvm Posts: 1,400member
    After reading some comments, is interesting how some are looking forward to use an iPad to replace a notebook.  That's exactly what MS did with the Surface Pro, a tablet that can be used as a full notebook.  Many people thought it was a bad idea, but now Apple is doing it.  Maybe MS was right from the beginning.