Tesla, BMW don't appear to be gearing up to join Apple's new CarPlay vision

Posted:
in General Discussion edited June 2022
Apple gave a sneak peek of its new CarPlay vision at WWDC 2022 and announced some early partners, but there are a few notable holdouts who have yet to get involved.

CarPlay
CarPlay

During the developer conference keynote, Apple previewed a new generation of CarPlay that brings an entirely new level of customization to a car's infotainment systems, gauges, and more.

The iPhone maker also announced a list of automakers who are "excited to bring this new vision of CarPlay to customers," including many traditional car companies like Honda, Ford, and Mercedes-Benz.

However, BMW was notably absent from the list. And there are other companies, like Tesla, that have never adopted CarPlay.

BMW

BMW has always had a weird relationship with Apple CarPlay. Even before the feature debuted, company executives said that their vehicles wouldn't support the Apple infotainment system.

The company eventually reversed course and offered CarPlay on some select models in 2016. Before it did, it was one of the last major car manufacturers who hadn't released at least one vehicle with support for the system.

The German automaker continued to offer CarPlay as a normal package option to customers until 2019, when it began charging a subscription of $80 a year to use the service.

Just like its slow adoption, BMW stuck out as the only major carmaker to consider such a fee. Customers, as you'd expect, weren't happy. BMW eventually dropped the fee in 2019.

BMW's CarPlay weirdness is even underscored by more recent news, including the fact that it might ship new models
without Apple CarPlay or Android Auto. The automaker blamed the issue on ongoing chip shortages, but it doesn't appear like other automakers have followed suit.

The German firm has been an early adopter of Apple technology, too. It was the first company to announce support for Apple's CarKey system, which will allow users to unlock or start their vehicles with an iPhone.

CarPlay in a BMW
CarPlay in a BMW

All of this is to say that BMW's lack of early involvement could mean that the company is about to repeat its past mistakes with CarPlay.

However, it seems that BMW is -- at the very least -- not completely against the idea of eventually adopting the upgraded CarPlay. In a statement to The Verge, BMW says it will still need to evaluate how to integrate Apple's announcements.

"Currently, we have placed a clear focus on further enhancing our iDrive user interface system and, as part of this development, will continue the seamless integration of Apple's ecosystem," BMW said. "Integral to these efforts will be an evaluation of how the latest innovations announced at WWDC can be integrated into our solutions."

In other words, BMW was hedging its bets. It isn't an early partner of the new CarPlay, but if history is any indication, it'll probably eventually adopt the next-generation feature down the road.

Tesla

Tesla is not a traditional carmaker, but its weight in the market can rival competitors like Ford or GM. Unlike other automakers, however, Tesla has never supported Apple CarPlay.

Tesla, as a tech company, writes its own software for its in-car infotainment system. That's likely the main reason why it doesn't support CarPlay, Android Auto, or other products made by other tech companies.

The company's stubbornness might just be its undoing. According to statistics published by Apple, 79% of U.S. car buyers wouldn't even consider purchasing a vehicle without CarPlay.

CarPlay is all about a seamless experience for iPhone users. Depending on the time of year, Apple's devices are the dominant smartphones by market share. The company's premium target market overlaps to no small degree with Tesla's, too.

Tesla infotainment system

Between Tesla cars catching on fire and the outspokenness of the company's CEO, the carmaker should start planning for a future where it's not the only buzzy maker of electric vehicles.

Most other automakers are planning to release electric vehicles that could compete much more closely with Tesla. Looking back at the Apple-provided statistic, CarPlay adoption could be a boon for Tesla demand when its uniqueness starts to wane.

Users will likely to be happier as well. Apple and Google ecosystems have the benefit of having millions of developers -- a luxury Tesla doesn't have and likely never will. With CarPlay, Tesla drivers would instantly get access to a slew of new audio, messaging, and streaming apps.

Whether Tesla is going to change its mind about CarPlay remains to be seen. But, from an outside view, it seems like doing so would be a good idea.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 59
    rob53rob53 Posts: 3,239member
    Tesla has a great system, something CarPlay won’t be able to fully replace. Other car manufacturers don’t really have a fraction of the computing and operating capabilities Tesla has. CarPlay can help the other companies but I don’t see it actually running the entire car. 
    darkvadercommand_fgrandact73ravnorodomwattoukwilliamlondonMplsPwatto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 59
    chadbagchadbag Posts: 1,999member
    Now I know why BMW drivers are  attracted to BMWs.   "Takes one to know one".  Arrogant a-hole drivers attracted to arrogant company.

(Note the above is said in jest, but only partially.  Whether deserved or Not, BMW drivers do have a certain stereotyped reputation). 
    darkvaderBeats9secondkox2ravnorodomlolliverwatto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 59
    chadbag said:
    Now I know why BMW drivers are  attracted to BMWs.   "Takes one to know one".  Arrogant a-hole drivers attracted to arrogant company.

(Note the above is said in jest, but only partially.  Whether deserved or Not, BMW drivers do have a certain stereotyped reputation). 
    It's funny, the other day I was thinking that Tesla drivers had surpassed BMW drives for that reputation. So not terribly surprised to see the two companies linked in this article. 
    darkvaderchadbag9secondkox2williamlondonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 59
    jibjib Posts: 56member
    Agreed. And I wouldn't buy a car from either company.
    And definitely not a car without CarPlay!
    command_f9secondkox2lolliverwatto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 59
    BeatsBeats Posts: 3,073member
    Who’s surprised by Tesla?

Knowing Apple, they will update software frequently and it will be secure. If Apple can kick Tesla’s ass in software, this will make non-Tesla electric cars more tempting.
    TightLinesOferwilliamlondonlolliverwatto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 59
    JinTechJinTech Posts: 1,019member
    chadbag said:

I use to live in Marin County, north of San Francisco. The county has a certain type of vibe. Mainly with a high income, honor student-type kids, etc. Anyway, we use to say BMW stood for Basic Marin Wheels as a lot of people from Marin drive them.
    chadbagforegoneconclusionSpitbathwatto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 59
    KuyangkohKuyangkoh Posts: 838member
    jib said:
    True….dont buy if you cannot afford
    9secondkox2
  • Reply 8 of 59
    [...]

[...]

Read on AppleInsider

Never like Tesla. Mediocre design in and out to me personally. I mean, look at the display  :s 
    foregoneconclusion9secondkox2SpitbathJanNLlolliverwatto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 59
    command_fcommand_f Posts: 418member
    "According to statistics published by Apple, 79% of U.S. car buyers wouldn't even consider purchasing a vehicle without CarPlay". Wow! If this is true then the US car market is certainly different to that in the UK. I presume the people surveyed were those owning or actually able to buy cars; do 79% of car buyers even use iPhone over Android?

In the UK, factors like running-costs, safety, cabin and boot (trunk) size figure alongside comfort and driving-pleasure. ICE is certainly a factor but as likely to appear as a desire for Bluetooth, SatNav and access to music.

I have a (much-maligned) BMW with CarPlay. BMW has never (to my knowledge) charged a recurring fee for CarPlay in the UK: my car came with it as part of a spec-upgrade package. I'm not impressed personally - perhaps it's BMW's implementation but it only uses about 75% of my display's width and it barely exploits the iDrive controller's versatility. Navigation is little better than the BMW-native system (that includes real-time traffic status) though messaging and other less essential apps are clearly superior.

It's worth mentioning that I do not like touch-screens in cars. They implicitly need the driver to look at them to place their fingers on buttons etc whilst a joystick-style controller (eg iDrive) can just click from one control to the next and then press them using a physical button that's always in the same place. The driver's eyes stay on the road for much more of the time: that's a good thing whatever you think of the stereotypical BMW Tesla driver.
    JWSC
  • Reply 10 of 59
    22july201322july2013 Posts: 3,564member
    So let me get this right... people call Apple a monopoly for not allowing other app stores on their smart phone devices, but nobody calls Tesla a monopoly for not allowing other entertainment apps on their smart car devices. Can someone explain the hypocrisy? 
    doozydozenBeatsrob53MplsPwatto_cobra
  • Reply 11 of 59
    BMW continues to disappoint. 

I have a 2019 Mini Countryman (manufactured by BMW), and they have configured my beautiful display to only use half of its available width for CarPlay. It is pathetically ridiculous, and makes using apps like Maps less than optimal.
    doozydozenBeatswilliamlondonappleinsideruserwatto_cobra
  • Reply 12 of 59
    igorskyigorsky Posts: 747member
    Kuyangkoh said:
    jib said:
    True….dont buy if you cannot afford
    They didn't say they couldn't afford it, but you knew that already.
    BeatsSpitbathravnorodomiqatedoOferwilliamlondonMplsPmuthuk_vanalingamlolliverwatto_cobra
  • Reply 13 of 59
    So let me get this right... people call Apple a monopoly for not allowing other app stores on their smart phone devices, but nobody calls Tesla a monopoly for not allowing other entertainment apps on their smart car devices. Can someone explain the hypocrisy? 
    Tesla has less than a 3% market share. 
    grandact73ravnorodom
  • Reply 14 of 59
    robin huberrobin huber Posts: 3,945member
    Of course not, they plan on reinventing the wheel. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 15 of 59
    jamnapjamnap Posts: 85member
    I admit I own a 2021 BM loaded x5.  It is an amazing brand with super engineering.  I like nice things and BM is a very nice thing.  But Chadbag is wrong to assume we are all a-holes.  I am one if the nicest guys on the road.  I do use Apple Music with my car and sometimes Apple Maps.  Everything works great together, but I do not want to use any version of CarPlay that replaces my instrument panel with an Apple look.  Apple screens in CarPlay look so cartoonist. I am happy with BM OEM display clusters and options.  
    doozydozengrandact73chadbag
  • Reply 16 of 59
    doozydozendoozydozen Posts: 539member
    When BMW starting charging for CarPlay integration THAT was the moment I gave up on the brand. I know that sounds petty but I just cannot. Charging for a service that is free is pathetic and I will not forgive BMW for that decision. I used to be a big fan and owned a few vintage 3 Series (E30 and E36)
    lolliver
  • Reply 17 of 59
    MadbumMadbum Posts: 527member
    Considering BMW is first do Apple Keyless and the fact Apple used  their car on their presentation, I think BMW is in there

Tesla uses Android dude lol 
    edited June 2022 watto_cobra
  • Reply 18 of 59
    My partner uses CarPlay and I use Android Auto. Test driving a Tesla, I can see why Tesla wouldn’t want to adopt these right away. They could end up sacrificing car metrics if these interfaces don’t allow them to surface them. And they would probably prefer their Maps to Google Maps or Apple Maps because their maps can surface Tesla charging stations. Something that is CRUCIAL for EV’s right now.

I can see pushing legacy car manufacturers to integrate these interfaces because they are car manufacturers FIRST. Infotainment centers is CLEARLY not their core competency. It’s the same reason why we wouldn’t want phone manufacturers creating their own phone OS’s. That said Tesla seems like a tech first company and given the software chops needed to even come close, although not succeed, I can imagine building a good infotainment center is much easier and well within their wheel house.

Right now at least, I don’t see much that CarPlay or Android Auto provides over Tesla’s native interface outside of better notification handling. Which is something I think can be fixed.
    MplsPdoozydozen
  • Reply 19 of 59
    9secondkox29secondkox2 Posts: 2,631member
    I love what BMW is doing with the interior UI these days. Impressive and clean. Apple Carplay is a great fit. Love BMWs current Carplay integration already. This is going to be great. Not a fan of Tesla UI, but if they open it up to be overridden by Apple, all the better. I really like Tesla, but the UI is meh 
    edited June 2022 Beats
  • Reply 20 of 59
    chadbagchadbag Posts: 1,999member
    jamnap said:
    I admit I own a 2021 BM loaded x5.  It is an amazing brand with super engineering.  I like nice things and BM is a very nice thing.  But Chadbag is wrong to assume we are all a-holes.  I am one if the nicest guys on the road.  I do use Apple Music with my car and sometimes Apple Maps.  Everything works great together, but I do not want to use any version of CarPlay that replaces my instrument panel with an Apple look.  Apple screens in CarPlay look so cartoonist. I am happy with BM OEM display clusters and options.  
    I am not wrong. You are the exception that proves the rule 😂

I did say it was a stereotype and not all members of a stereotyped class will actually match the stereotype.  But enough do to create the stereotype.  

A good friend of mine just recently ordered a BMW (upgrade from his Mazda).  He is the nicest guy in the world.  I kidded  him about joining the a-hole class.  We had a good laugh about that.   Another friend ofmine works for BMW bank in the US and of course drives a BMW.   He is reasonbly nice as well.  But almost every day I see a BMW being driven in such a way as it reinforces the stereotype.  

Even 30 years ago when I lived in Germany working for DEC the BMW drivers kind of had the reputation as all the (male) businessmen with company supplied BMW cars drove like the rules of the road didn't apply to them. (Like instead of waiting in line in the left turn lane at an intersection they would go down the normal lane and at the last minute turn left outside the normal people turning and then cut them off -- saw that sort of thing regularly).   
    BeatsSpitbathjamnaplolliverwatto_cobra