Tesla, BMW don't appear to be gearing up to join Apple's new CarPlay vision

Comments

• Reply 21 of 59
    BeatsBeats Posts: 3,073member
    MrBunside said:
    So let me get this right... people call Apple a monopoly for not allowing other app stores on their smart phone devices, but nobody calls Tesla a monopoly for not allowing other entertainment apps on their smart car devices. Can someone explain the hypocrisy? 
    Tesla has less than a 3% market share. 

Irrelevant.
    MplsPwatto_cobra
  • Reply 22 of 59
    dcgoodcgoo Posts: 280member
    rob53 said:
    Tesla has a great system, something CarPlay won’t be able to fully replace. Other car manufacturers don’t really have a fraction of the computing and operating capabilities Tesla has. CarPlay can help the other companies but I don’t see it actually running the entire car. 
    Agreed. CarPlay will never come to Tesla, because Tesla’s built-in system is much more integrated with the car, the charging infrastructure, navigation and Full Self Driving.  

Now what would be nice would be to have Apple Music as a media source. Tesla now uses LiveOne (fka Slacker), Spotify and Tidal.  I’d like to see Apple Music added. Tesla is considering becoming an AirPlay 2 destination. Perhaps an AppleTV+ client could be developed, especially with the addition of the rear seat media screen.  

But there is no need whatsoever for CarPlay in a Tesla.
    ravnorodom
  • Reply 23 of 59
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,153member
    My partner uses CarPlay and I use Android Auto. Test driving a Tesla, I can see why Tesla wouldn’t want to adopt these right away. They could end up sacrificing car metrics if these interfaces don’t allow them to surface them. And they would probably prefer their Maps to Google Maps or Apple Maps because their maps can surface Tesla charging stations. Something that is CRUCIAL for EV’s right now.
    Google Maps does surface Tesla stations. All you have to do is voice search for "EV charging stations" to get area results.
    muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 24 of 59
    jamnapjamnap Posts: 85member
    Madbum said:
    Considering BMW is first do Apple Keyless and the fact Apple used  their car on their presentation, I think BMW is in there

Tesla uses Android dude lol 
    I do not carry my BM fob and instead have been using BM digital key in Wallet on my iPhone 13 and Series 7 Watch.  The digital key works, but it does take a few weeks of getting use to sans fob.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 25 of 59
    jamnapjamnap Posts: 85member
    chadbag said:
    jamnap said:
    I admit I own a 2021 BM loaded x5.  It is an amazing brand with super engineering.  I like nice things and BM is a very nice thing.  But Chadbag is wrong to assume we are all a-holes.  I am one if the nicest guys on the road.  I do use Apple Music with my car and sometimes Apple Maps.  Everything works great together, but I do not want to use any version of CarPlay that replaces my instrument panel with an Apple look.  Apple screens in CarPlay look so cartoonist. I am happy with BM OEM display clusters and options.  
    I am not wrong. You are the exception that proves the rule 😂

I did say it was a stereotype and not all members of a stereotyped class will actually match the stereotype.  But enough do to create the stereotype.  

A good friend of mine just recently ordered a BMW (upgrade from his Mazda).  He is the nicest guy in the world.  I kidded  him about joining the a-hole class.  We had a good laugh about that.   Another friend ofmine works for BMW bank in the US and of course drives a BMW.   He is reasonbly nice as well.  But almost every day I see a BMW being driven in such a way as it reinforces the stereotype.  

Even 30 years ago when I lived in Germany working for DEC the BMW drivers kind of had the reputation as all the (male) businessmen with company supplied BMW cars drove like the rules of the road didn't apply to them. (Like instead of waiting in line in the left turn lane at an intersection they would go down the normal lane and at the last minute turn left outside the normal people turning and then cut them off -- saw that sort of thing regularly).   
    Point well taken, but these days the highways are all saturated with stupid, careless drivers of of makes/model.  I have witnessed more chuckleheads dominating the roads in a Mustang GT, Dodge Charger and Chevy Camaro.  Roadways are a scary place to be these days.
    chadbaglolliverwatto_cobra
  • Reply 26 of 59
    rob53rob53 Posts: 3,239member
    dcgoo said:
    rob53 said:
    Tesla has a great system, something CarPlay won’t be able to fully replace. Other car manufacturers don’t really have a fraction of the computing and operating capabilities Tesla has. CarPlay can help the other companies but I don’t see it actually running the entire car. 
    Agreed. CarPlay will never come to Tesla, because Tesla’s built-in system is much more integrated with the car, the charging infrastructure, navigation and Full Self Driving.  

Now what would be nice would be to have Apple Music as a media source. Tesla now uses LiveOne (fka Slacker), Spotify and Tidal.  I’d like to see Apple Music added. Tesla is considering becoming an AirPlay 2 destination. Perhaps an AppleTV+ client could be developed, especially with the addition of the rear seat media screen.  

But there is no need whatsoever for CarPlay in a Tesla.
    Disagree with last paragraph. Current CarPlay gives you access to Messages, calls, music and a few other things. Didn’t include Maps because Tesla’s maps does a whole lot more than any other maps app. Allowing Apple and Android users to use hands free capabilities their phones have is a plus. 
    BeatsMplsPlolliverwatto_cobra
  • Reply 27 of 59
    jamnap said:
    I admit I own a 2021 BM loaded x5.  It is an amazing brand with super engineering.  I like nice things and BM is a very nice thing.  But Chadbag is wrong to assume we are all a-holes.  I am one if the nicest guys on the road.  I do use Apple Music with my car and sometimes Apple Maps.  Everything works great together, but I do not want to use any version of CarPlay that replaces my instrument panel with an Apple look.  Apple screens in CarPlay look so cartoonist. I am happy with BM OEM display clusters and options.  
    You took the "Cartoonish" aspect out of my mouth. I totally agree. CarPlay UI just doesn't look classy enough in high-end car such as that ultra wide screen panel in Mercedes. CarPlay UI is basically an iOS UI which serves perfectly fine for iPhone and iPad. I wouldn't want that UI look on my Mac either.
    edited June 2022
  • Reply 28 of 59
    Beats said:
    Who’s surprised by Tesla?

Knowing Apple, they will update software frequently and it will be secure. If Apple can kick Tesla’s ass in software, this will make non-Tesla electric cars more tempting.
    Yup, and Tesla is a fraud in its own right that no one in a regulatory agency, in any country does anything about. How’s that solar panel business Elon saved his brother from working out? How about it’s cozy relationship with the gov’t of China? Has anyone even started to look at the security risks the Tesla products introduce to our society? How long did it recently take hackers to make a set of Tesla keys and make away with their vehicle? Like 130 seconds, or something like that? The company was created to suck as much public money as it can (corporate welfare) to enrich its founder, fund its technological R&D, and swindle uniformed investors alike… the accounting standards its being subjected to are suspect at best. Apple not being accepted into that ecosystem is no loss to Apple… they would be fighting the Tesla companies sneaky ways to funnel user/customer data into the hands of the highest bidder…
    Beatswatto_cobra
  • Reply 29 of 59
    JWSCJWSC Posts: 1,203member
    command_f said:
    "According to statistics published by Apple, 79% of U.S. car buyers wouldn't even consider purchasing a vehicle without CarPlay". Wow! If this is true then the US car market is certainly different to that in the UK. I presume the people surveyed were those owning or actually able to buy cars; do 79% of car buyers even use iPhone over Android?

In the UK, factors like running-costs, safety, cabin and boot (trunk) size figure alongside comfort and driving-pleasure. ICE is certainly a factor but as likely to appear as a desire for Bluetooth, SatNav and access to music.

I have a (much-maligned) BMW with CarPlay. BMW has never (to my knowledge) charged a recurring fee for CarPlay in the UK: my car came with it as part of a spec-upgrade package. I'm not impressed personally - perhaps it's BMW's implementation but it only uses about 75% of my display's width and it barely exploits the iDrive controller's versatility. Navigation is little better than the BMW-native system (that includes real-time traffic status) though messaging and other less essential apps are clearly superior.

It's worth mentioning that I do not like touch-screens in cars. They implicitly need the driver to look at them to place their fingers on buttons etc whilst a joystick-style controller (eg iDrive) can just click from one control to the next and then press them using a physical button that's always in the same place. The driver's eyes stay on the road for much more of the time: that's a good thing whatever you think of the stereotypical BMW Tesla driver.
    BMW has got to cut bait with its central iDrive controller.  It was cool and innovative when it first came out.  But at this point it would be like Apple sticking with an iPod click wheel interface for an iPhone.  So come on BMW, admit that you can’t do electronic interfaces worth a damn and move on.
    edited June 2022 Beatswatto_cobra
  • Reply 30 of 59
    jccjcc Posts: 323member
    rob53 said:
    You’re kidding right? Because Tesla has a turd for dashboard UI. Who ever heard of one giant screen on the bottom of the center console for drivers to take their eyes off the road as a good system? The only reason they chose this route was that it’s cheap to design and build. Not user friendly, not convenient, not safe, and not at all considered ‘good design’. They might as well have put the darn thing at the drivers crotch area…
    BeatsrotateleftbyteJanNLlolliverwatto_cobra
  • Reply 31 of 59
    chadbag said:
    Now I know why BMW drivers are  attracted to BMWs.   "Takes one to know one".  Arrogant a-hole drivers attracted to arrogant company.

(Note the above is said in jest, but only partially.  Whether deserved or Not, BMW drivers do have a certain stereotyped reputation). 
    In this part of the world... the 'BMW' driver deserted to 'Audi' about 10 years ago. Now? They are moving to Teslas. Black M3 Performance seems to be the preferred vehicle of the idiot driver. The sweet income tax deals for business leasing of EVs have not helped.
    The very small rear indicator light of the M3 might as well not be there for all the use it gets. 
    When cruising at around the 70mph limit on the Motorways, I regularly get overtaken by these black blobs doing well over 90mph.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 32 of 59
    chadbagchadbag Posts: 1,999member
    chadbag said:
    Now I know why BMW drivers are  attracted to BMWs.   "Takes one to know one".  Arrogant a-hole drivers attracted to arrogant company.

(Note the above is said in jest, but only partially.  Whether deserved or Not, BMW drivers do have a certain stereotyped reputation). 
    In this part of the world... the 'BMW' driver deserted to 'Audi' about 10 years ago. Now? They are moving to Teslas. Black M3 Performance seems to be the preferred vehicle of the idiot driver. The sweet income tax deals for business leasing of EVs have not helped.
    The very small rear indicator light of the M3 might as well not be there for all the use it gets. 
    When cruising at around the 70mph limit on the Motorways, I regularly get overtaken by these black blobs doing well over 90mph.
    Around here the Audi drivers are mostly Q class SUV types and are affluent soccer moms and that sort of thing.  Don't see many a-hole Audis.  Tesla runs the gamut.  Occasionally see one who must have converted from  BMW 🤣.  The Model X are all affluent soccer moms.  The Model 3 around here are just another car.  Though I was passed by the Model 3 driver you described going into our neighborhood yesterday. Had never seen the guy before.  (Won't call them M3 as that is a BMW). 

Disclaimer:  I drive an Audi A3 e-tron sportback PHEV. Our other car is a VW (as we're almost all my previous  cars back to 1988).  I'll probably not buy another Audi.  While I like the styling it is just an expensive VW.  If VW had sole their version of the PHEV that the A3 is based on and which they sold in Europe, I would have bought that. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 33 of 59
    morkymorky Posts: 200member
    ForumPost said:
    [...]

Tesla infotainment system
    Tesla infotainment system

[...]

Read on AppleInsider

Never like Tesla. Mediocre design in and out to me personally. I mean, look at the display  :s 
    That's an ancient version of their software.
  • Reply 34 of 59
    Anyone who has closely followed Apple over the past 20 years should recognize Tesla taking a very similar approach on vertical integration. They are innovating like no one else in the auto industry in manufacturing, and they are relying less and less on external suppliers for parts. Their in-house seat manufacturing and one-piece casting underbody are prime examples. As far as their software, unlike traditional OEMs, their software is not a pathetic joke. They actually have high-caliber software and hardware teams, regularly release over-the-air updates, and they even design their own silicon for their self-driving computer. Apple may develop a better UI in the near term than Tesla, but Tesla has the chops to keep up. More importantly, Tesla's Apple-like focus on vertical integration means they will never cede control of their UI to a third party, especially as they move toward a self-driving future where there is big money to be made on their infotainment system. The OEMs are accepting CarPlay because they know their software is terrible and have no chance of catching up.
    MplsP
  • Reply 35 of 59
    Beats said:
    Who’s surprised by Tesla?

Knowing Apple, they will update software frequently and it will be secure. If Apple can kick Tesla’s ass in software, this will make non-Tesla electric cars more tempting.
    Yup, and Tesla is a fraud in its own right that no one in a regulatory agency, in any country does anything about. How’s that solar panel business Elon saved his brother from working out? How about it’s cozy relationship with the gov’t of China? Has anyone even started to look at the security risks the Tesla products introduce to our society? How long did it recently take hackers to make a set of Tesla keys and make away with their vehicle? Like 130 seconds, or something like that? The company was created to suck as much public money as it can (corporate welfare) to enrich its founder, fund its technological R&D, and swindle uniformed investors alike… the accounting standards its being subjected to are suspect at best. Apple not being accepted into that ecosystem is no loss to Apple… they would be fighting the Tesla companies sneaky ways to funnel user/customer data into the hands of the highest bidder…
    You've got the narrative all wrong. Everything you stated above is patently false.
    MplsP
  • Reply 36 of 59
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,796member
    chadbag said:

It's funny, the other day I was thinking that Tesla drivers had surpassed BMW drives for that reputation. So not terribly surprised to see the two companies linked in this article. 
    Yeah, Tesla people are very attached to the brand...even though the car as a whole is a POS. 
    JanNLrotateleftbyte
  • Reply 37 of 59
    As when the 1st revision of CarPlay arrived I think it'll take a few more years to get other brand onboard, but I think Apple is at the right moment to try and capture as many brands as possible with cars getting larger and more screens in their vehicles. There's a lot of very bad UI's out there. Some aren't too bad such as the ones from Stallantis (Formally FCA, or Chrysler) but then there are others that are just horrible.  

I wonder how many months before there is a similar option on Android? Or, did Apple possibly try to make the next revision of Apple CarPlay exclusive meaning they cannot work with Google to also create an Android version? I'm sure that would throw some red flags up by some people but I don't see that stopping any company from doing so. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 38 of 59
    macxpress said:
    chadbag said:

It's funny, the other day I was thinking that Tesla drivers had surpassed BMW drives for that reputation. So not terribly surprised to see the two companies linked in this article. 
    Yeah, Tesla people are very attached to the brand...even though the car as a whole is a POS. 
    No, it isn't. 
  • Reply 39 of 59
    morky said:
    macxpress said:
    chadbag said:

No, it isn't. 
    Yes it is...its horribly built and has some of the worst reliability of any car on the road. 
    rotateleftbytelolliver
  • Reply 40 of 59
    narwhalnarwhal Posts: 118member
    Something BMW needs to add first is turn indicators to indicate lane changes and turns. AFAIK, every other car manufacturer has blinkers, but apparently BMWs do not.
    crowleylolliverwatto_cobra