Everything Apple Sherlocked in macOS Ventura, iOS 16, and iPadOS 16

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 36
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    Beats said:
    danox said:
    mattinoz said:
    No mention Of Apple Pay later I mean thing most likely to disrupt a company’s business model enough to cause them to close. 
    Apple Pay came about like iMessage the Mac and iOS ecosystems weren’t getting any real support, Apple Watch the same, Apple is currently in the process of Sherlocking game development software for the same reason no support from AAA game developers.

Apple over the years has had to roll up it’s sleeves many times because of lack the support on Mac or iOS.

Apple needs to destroy the Unreal Engine with their own that takes full advantage of Metal and Apple Silicon. We’d see some crazy fast games. With full support we’d see better games on older hardware also.
    Keep dreaming.
  • Reply 22 of 36
    heinzelheinzel Posts: 120member
    I’m just jumping in to show some love for the Touch Bar! I totally understand why it’s not for everyone, but I was really pleased to see it survive. I’m someone who hardly ever used function keys in the first place, so the Touch Bar is a nice little feature for me that I use occasionally, certainly more than I ever used that row of keys before. I wish developers would show it a bit more love, but now that it seems banished to the 13” MBP only, I fear it’s days are numbered. Personally I think it should be an option on all the MBPs, I’d happily pay a little extra for it, but it sounds like I might be the only one!
    I agree. The Touch Bar may not have many uses but it has saved me countless hours by allowing me to scroll through pre-content video ads. That alone has made it extremely useful.
    edited June 2022 Beatsjibwatto_cobra
  • Reply 23 of 36
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,801member
    crowley said:
    Beats said:
    danox said:
    mattinoz said:
    No mention Of Apple Pay later I mean thing most likely to disrupt a company’s business model enough to cause them to close. 
    Apple Pay came about like iMessage the Mac and iOS ecosystems weren’t getting any real support, Apple Watch the same, Apple is currently in the process of Sherlocking game development software for the same reason no support from AAA game developers.

Apple over the years has had to roll up it’s sleeves many times because of lack the support on Mac or iOS.

Apple needs to destroy the Unreal Engine with their own that takes full advantage of Metal and Apple Silicon. We’d see some crazy fast games. With full support we’d see better games on older hardware also.
    Keep dreaming.
    I don't think it's as far off as you may think. Apple now has the advantage of a developer that can make a game (not just port it) and have it work across all of the Apple platforms. It's certainly taken a while, but Apple has built the foundation for this to happen and it's already happening with other apps that aren't games. Previously, a game developer (or any developer for that matter) had to either port a game or write it for macOS and it ONLY worked for macOS, and Apple wasn't interested in making large, loud, heavy devices specifically for gaming. So, it wasn't lucrative for game developers to release games for macOS. It simply wasn't worth their time and money to do so.

With Apple Silicon, they now own the platform top to bottom. They can optimize the hell out of it and create API's and such for developers to also take advantage of these crazy fast SoC's. It's making a large commitment to Metal which is starting to take off.  Apple Silicon is making huge strides and they can create something very powerful while sipping power and limiting the amount of heat they create in the process. When a first revision of a new SoC hits the market and starts to approach graphics performance of something that costs $2000 just for a plug-in card itself, that's pretty impressive. Apple will only continue to develop Apple Silicon to be more and more powerful without the need for major cooling systems, separate cards to achieve this performance. Yes, Apple has a ways to go with gaming on their platforms, but I bet its making game developers look at Apple instead of looking the other way like they previously did as they have multiple platforms they can build for with the same code. 
    edited June 2022 tmaywatto_cobra
  • Reply 24 of 36
    BeatsBeats Posts: 3,073member
    crowley said:
    Beats said:
    danox said:
    mattinoz said:

Keep dreaming.

Yeah because Apple can’t destroy Epic at all. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 25 of 36
    macxpress said:
    crowley said:
    Beats said:
    danox said:
    mattinoz said:

Keep dreaming.
    I don't think it's as far off as you may think. Apple now has the advantage of a developer that can make a game (not just port it) and have it work across all of the Apple platforms. It's certainly taken a while, but Apple has built the foundation for this to happen and it's already happening with other apps that aren't games. Previously, a game developer (or any developer for that matter) had to either port a game or write it for macOS and it ONLY worked for macOS, and Apple wasn't interested in making large, loud, heavy devices specifically for gaming. So, it wasn't lucrative for game developers to release games for macOS. It simply wasn't worth their time and money to do so.

With Apple Silicon, they now own the platform top to bottom. They can optimize the hell out of it and create API's and such for developers to also take advantage of these crazy fast SoC's. It's making a large commitment to Metal which is starting to take off.  Apple Silicon is making huge strides and they can create something very powerful while sipping power and limiting the amount of heat they create in the process. When a first revision of a new SoC hits the market and starts to approach graphics performance of something that costs $2000 just for a plug-in card itself, that's pretty impressive. Apple will only continue to develop Apple Silicon to be more and more powerful without the need for major cooling systems, separate cards to achieve this performance. Yes, Apple has a ways to go with gaming on their platforms, but I bet its making game developers look at Apple instead of looking the other way like they previously did as they have multiple platforms they can build for with the same code. 

All the pieces are already there. I have no idea why Apple doesn’t take the step forward.

Apple has:
    Hardware (Mac, iPhone, iPad, Apple TV, Watch, Face ID, AirPods, HomePod, Beats)

Software (macOS, iOS, iPadOS, watchOS, tvOS, Metal, APIs, Face ID, AirPods)

Apple Arcade (could develop Apple Arcade+ for $9.99 to include AAA games)

Epic just has the software. Even then they don’t own the OS. Apple can create something that runs circles around Unreal. Why the f*** can’t they just hire a small dedicated team for gaming? I would argue even TODAY it’s easier to develop for Apple than Windows machines that have infinite configurations and hundreds of thousands of software issues and viruses etc.

Now imagine Apple develop an engine that fully supports Apple hardware/software and removes all the bottlenecks? It doesn’t even need to be as powerful as Unreal to surpass it.

Apples camera array used for FaceID can open a new era of game and movie development.

It’s not an argument of “they can’t” but “they don’t want to”.
  • Reply 26 of 36
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    Beats said:
    crowley said:
    Beats said:
    danox said:
    mattinoz said:

Keep dreaming.

Yeah because Apple can’t destroy Epic at all. 
    They could try, but they won't.

Epic have been making 3D engines for over 20 years, cross platform through multiple generations.  No one else comes close nowadays for general purpose 3D engines, and many have tried and either fallen or had to settle for a niche.  Apple have made no engines, have no experience in it, no sense of what is needed because they don't develop any games, don't operate the kind of developer relations that would be needed for such an engine, and moreover have no real impetus to do such a thing when Unreal and its competitors work on Apple platforms.

Not Microsoft, Sony or Nintendo operate an in-house game engine shop that licenses an engine for their consoles, because it's a huge undertaking that makes little commercial sense when restricted to a single platform.

So by all means keep dreaming, but that's all it is.  Apple won't do it.
    muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 27 of 36
    Beats said:
    macxpress said:
    crowley said:
    Beats said:
    danox said:
    mattinoz said:

Keep dreaming.

All the pieces are already there. I have no idea why Apple doesn’t take the step forward.

Apple has:

Epic just has the software. Even then they don’t own the OS. Apple can create something that runs circles around Unreal. Why the f*** can’t they just hire a small dedicated team for gaming? I would argue even TODAY it’s easier to develop for Apple than Windows machines that have infinite configurations and hundreds of thousands of software issues and viruses etc.

Now imagine Apple develop an engine that fully supports Apple hardware/software and removes all the bottlenecks? It doesn’t even need to be as powerful as Unreal to surpass it.

Apples camera array used for FaceID can open a new era of game and movie development.

It’s pretty obvious why the don’t. They feel resources are better spent on things. 

This is going to blow your mind. Apple has way more information on what it’s customers do with its products and what features they want than you do. 

Seriously, Apple has demonstrated it knows what’s it doing. Sorry your pet project doesn’t make the cut. I’m empathetic, I’d like Aperture to come back but it ain’t happening. 
    tmaymuthuk_vanalingamwatto_cobra
  • Reply 28 of 36
    Beats said:
    macxpress said:
    crowley said:
    Beats said:
    danox said:
    mattinoz said:

Keep dreaming.

Apple has:

It’s pretty obvious why the don’t. They feel resources are better spent on things. 

This is going to blow your mind. Apple has way more information on what it’s customers do with its products and what features they want than you do. 

Seriously, Apple has demonstrated it knows what’s it doing. Sorry your pet project doesn’t make the cut. I’m empathetic, I’d like Aperture to come back but it ain’t happening. 

Apple has also shown games have made them the most money and have created Apple Arcade.

Sorry!
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 29 of 36
    Beats said:
    Beats said:
    macxpress said:
    crowley said:
    Beats said:
    danox said:
    mattinoz said:

Keep dreaming.

Apple has:

Apple has also shown games have made them the most money and have created Apple Arcade.

Sorry!
    That’s just wrong. Apple makes the majority of its revenue, over half, from iPhone sales. I don’t recall Apple every reporting it’s revenue from gaming but please enlighten me. Cite your source where Apple has said games make them the most money. 

No idea what creating Apple Arcade has to do with creating a 3D creation tool. 
    edited June 2022 watto_cobra
  • Reply 30 of 36
    robin huberrobin huber Posts: 3,949member
    Why the cat pic?
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 31 of 36
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,801member
    Beats said:
    macxpress said:
    crowley said:
    Beats said:
    danox said:
    mattinoz said:

Keep dreaming.

Apple has:

Apple doesn't need to make games...instead they need to entice existing game developers to embrace what they have to offer. No need to reinvent the wheel when there are already people who do it. 
  • Reply 32 of 36
    The TouchBar is annoying garbage. 
  • Reply 33 of 36
    chasmchasm Posts: 3,275member
    For scrubbing through photo/video footage, for having emojis to hand when you are messaging on a Mac, and yes for media control, the touchbar was a bit of innovation that went way above the people who photograph their dinner for social media's heads, I guess, but I always found it useful. I have zero use for function keys and haven't needed them since the days of DOS; I was pleased when Apple really did something useful with that useless row and turned them into media keys, which Microsoft subsequently copied (a tacit admission that only programmer-types and a handful of rare others actually ever used function keys).

I'm glad to see it lives on in the 13-inch MBP, and I'm disappointed that not enough developers took advantage of its clever abilities. The few who did, though -- man what a help, especially for those of us who touch type!
    jibwatto_cobra
  • Reply 34 of 36
    entropysentropys Posts: 4,152member
    On that list the closest to genuine sherlocking would be the package tracking feature in wallet.
    the rest not really Sherlocking at all.

Ps: cool cat!
    edited June 2022 mattinozwatto_cobra
  • Reply 35 of 36
    MrBunside said:
    The touchbar is one of Apple’s products that they never really had much faith in. When you look at them in the Apple stores, most employees don’t know that much of what you could do with it. From that perspective, it’s clear that Apple didn’t want to spend a lot of time training their employees on how to really get good usage out of it. 

I'll give the hardware devs a pass on this one - they weren't certain how it could be used but threw it into the real world to let others see if they could figure something out. They could not.

Physical keys with embedded LCDs would be useful for apps like Logic and FCP, but again has no obvious advantage for most users
    What people were imagining, or hoping for, was the Optimus Maximus keyboard by Art Lebedev design.  Every single key has a reprogrammable full-color OLED display.  It was WAY ahead of its time in 2008, and also hideously expensive at $1,500.  

https://ifdesign.com/en/winner-ranking/project/optimus-maximus/40610

watto_cobra