Apple still plans iPad Pro updates for fall 2022

Posted:
in iPad
Apple is still planning to bring out an update to its iPad Pro lineup in the fall, a report claims, insisting new models are on the way despite rumors of a 2023 14.1-inch version.

On June 9, it was rumored that Apple was working on creating a new larger iPad Pro model, combining a 14.1-inch mini LED display with the M2 chip. While that iPad Pro was supposedly being prepared for an early 2023 release, it is thought that the current size options will still receive updates in 2022.

In the "Power On" newsletter for Bloomberg, Mark Gurman writes that there are no plans to stop producing its 11-inch iPad Pro or 12.9-inch iPad Pro models, despite the prospect of a 14.1-inch model.

Gurman believes that new iPad Pro models will land in September or October, putting the launch firmly within the fall Apple event window.

As for what to expect, Gurman writes that the iPad Pro update should include an upgrade to the M2, wireless charging with MagSafe, and camera system upgrades. The prediction reiterates his previous claims made earlier in 2022, complete with suggestions of a late-2022 launch.

Other suggestions for updates include introducing a glass back to the design, as well as mini LED backlighting for the 11-inch iPad Pro.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 16
    rob53rob53 Posts: 3,251member
    I would hope Apple includes M-series SoCs in all iPads in the future. They could stay with the M1 for lower end iPads and go with M2 for the Pro. This way Apple could use up all M1 chips, which we know work very well. No real reason to use A-series chips on iPads. Leave those for iPhones. 
  • Reply 2 of 16
    jcohjcoh Posts: 23member
    I suspect this is exactly Apples plan.  Once the new pros with M2 are released the M1 will make it to the standard IPad and Mini. Already in the air.    This way all iPads moving forward will get to take advantage of stage manager.  
    However I suspect there will be one budget version that will continue to use the A series. It will sub 300 dollars for the people who could care less about stage manager. (They don’t or won’t know what it is ) 

people with 2020 pros are bitter that stage manager doesn’t work but that’s the nature of the beast with tech.    For new features to work (well) often new hardware is needed.  

The pros will stay a chip generation ahead of the standard 
    rob53
  • Reply 3 of 16
    ApplePoorApplePoor Posts: 286member
    As the "A" series have powered all the iPhones and are the basis of the "M" series, I doubt the "A" series will go away soon. The operating systems seem to be the element to differentiate the various product lines. Perhaps the ultimate plan is to just have one series of chip for all products and tune the operating systems to only use specific features desired on each product line.
    rob53
  • Reply 4 of 16
    rob53rob53 Posts: 3,251member
    ApplePoor said:
    As the "A" series have powered all the iPhones and are the basis of the "M" series, I doubt the "A" series will go away soon. The operating systems seem to be the element to differentiate the various product lines. Perhaps the ultimate plan is to just have one series of chip for all products and tune the operating systems to only use specific features desired on each product line.
    I agree but only for iPhones. Apple needs to keep power requirements low to keep long battery life. My M1 MBA lasts a long time but also has huge battery compared to iPhones and even iPads. Long term, I see iPads and small laptops merging into one product (why not?). Apple already restricts the MBA to limited ports and thunderbolt controllers so why not a Touch MBA/iPad combination. Isn’t this what the iPad and magic keyboard is already? I don’t want to see Apple repeat the product smorgasbord of the non-Jobs era. Reduce the product line a bit instead of expanding it. 
  • Reply 5 of 16
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    rob53 said:
    I would hope Apple includes M-series SoCs in all iPads in the future. They could stay with the M1 for lower end iPads and go with M2 for the Pro. This way Apple could use up all M1 chips, which we know work very well. No real reason to use A-series chips on iPads. Leave those for iPhones. 
    jcoh said:
    I suspect this is exactly Apples plan.  Once the new pros with M2 are released the M1 will make it to the standard IPad and Mini. Already in the air.    This way all iPads moving forward will get to take advantage of stage manager.  
    However I suspect there will be one budget version that will continue to use the A series. It will sub 300 dollars for the people who could care less about stage manager. (They don’t or won’t know what it is ) 

people with 2020 pros are bitter that stage manager doesn’t work but that’s the nature of the beast with tech.    For new features to work (well) often new hardware is needed.  

The pros will stay a chip generation ahead of the standard 
    I don’t think so. The M1 costs a fair amount more than the A series. One, it’s much larger, two the cost of the A series is amortized by the fact that Apple sells phones which are several times the volume, and three, the M1 uses more power. The less expensive consumer lines of iPads don’t need them. The A series has gotten powerful enough for those uses, and will continue to. Peop,e buying smaller screen models also don’t need Stage Manager. That would be difficult to use properly on the small, lower resolution screen.

i’m pretty sure that only a tiny number of people with a 2020 iPad Pro are “bitter” they can’t use Stage Manager. Possibly disappointed. But they’ll upgrade at some point anyway.
    muthuk_vanalingamurahara
  • Reply 6 of 16
    My wife has a 2020 iPad Pro and has seldom used multitasking. I showed her what she is missing in StageManager, she said she didn’t care, and likes he machine just fine. My guess is many, if not most, feel this way. I could see the Pros always move to the next generation M chip ahead of the Air. It will be interesting to see what happens with the mini. Will it get an M1, or stay in the A series? The entry level iPad will always stay with the lower performance chips and therefore be in the A series for awhile.
    williamlondonMrBunside
  • Reply 7 of 16
    glhglh Posts: 17member
    I don't see any reason yet to upgrade my 2018 iPad pro. So there will be a new camera and a slightly better screen, and maybe a couple of other things I don't use or need. I don't think iPadOS requires an M1 or M2 chip. For what most of us use an iPad for, these chips are overkill, given the state of iPadOS. 
  • Reply 8 of 16
    netroxnetrox Posts: 1,421member
    There is a reason for M1 being in iPad... multitasking. 

But another solid reason is scale of economy. It is expensive to build desktop processors. It makes sense to include Mx in iPad devices if possible. And the fact that m1 runs on a variety of devices allow them to be able to compete well and install them in many devices.

I really think that M1 is really built with the future in mind - making sure there's a lot of room for scaling from low power usage to high power usage depending on configurations. What happens if there's a surplus of M1? No problem, they can come up with a device to include M1. Even future displays may have it. 

• Reply 9 of 16
    Wish they would just fix the stability issues using an iPad for Sidecar…

• Reply 10 of 16
    hmlongcohmlongco Posts: 537member
    jcoh said:
    Not "bitter" but definitely disappointed. Also, if you'll remember, the A12Z chip in the 2020 iPad was used in the Apple Silicon Developer Kit for macOS.

If an A12Z is capable of running a full-full multitasking version of macOS.... 

...then there's no good reason why it can't manage Stage Manager.
    edited June 2022
  • Reply 11 of 16
    Let’s go big here folks:

M1 Pro or M2 Pro (M2 Pro would be crazy, also,
    way less likely to happen than M1 Pro, which may not be very likely to happen).

magsafe 3 where the lightning and usb-c connector has always been.

a Thunderbolt 4 port on each side of the MagSafe 3

support for 2 external displays.

This would definitely live up to the “Pro” moniker.

• Reply 12 of 16
    uraharaurahara Posts: 733member
    glh said:
    I don't see any reason yet to upgrade my 2018 iPad pro. So there will be a new camera and a slightly better screen, and maybe a couple of other things I don't use or need. I don't think iPadOS requires an M1 or M2 chip. For what most of us use an iPad for, these chips are overkill, given the state of iPadOS. 
    It seems that you are saying that iPadOS in a bad state. What specifically of iPadOS 16 you think is bad?
  • Reply 13 of 16
    entropysentropys Posts: 4,166member
    IpadOS 16 does addresses a lot of issues, especially for M1 IPads.  The only things missing for me is a fully functional file management system (priority one), and for my work purposes, multi user support.

i will  wait for the next IPP before upgrading my old 10.5 inch IPP. It has been a good and elegant device, the only downsides being IpadOS limitations and the stagelight effect about 9 cms above the touchid button.
    edited June 2022 muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 14 of 16
    hmlongco said:
    jcoh said:
    Not "bitter" but definitely disappointed. Also, if you'll remember, the A12Z chip in the 2020 iPad was used in the Apple Silicon Developer Kit for macOS.

If an A12Z is capable of running a full-full multitasking version of macOS.... 

...then there's no good reason why it can't manage Stage Manager.
    The dev kit was an A12z with 16 gigs of RAM vs. the 8 gigs of RAM in the iPad Pro. That’s a significant difference. 
  • Reply 15 of 16
    mike1mike1 Posts: 3,283member
    rob53 said:

Apple does not need to "use up" chips and it is not part of the decision process of which chip to use in a product. They use older chips in products all the time and still manufacture those chips as needed.
  • Reply 16 of 16
    canukstormcanukstorm Posts: 2,700member
    mike1 said:
    rob53 said:

Apple does not need to "use up" chips and it is not part of the decision process of which chip to use in a product. They use older chips in products all the time and still manufacture those chips as needed.
    I can definitely see a couple of years from now, the entry-level iPad getting the M1 SoC.