Lock screen changes in iOS 16 an 'act of love,' says Craig Federighi

Posted:
in iOS edited June 2022
Apple's overhaul of the iOS 16 lock screen was an "act of love" to make the iPhone even more personal, according to Apple SVP of Software Engineering Craig Federighi.

Apple's introduction of an updated lock screen in iOS 16 provides a way for users to personalize their iPhone beyond selecting a wallpaper. Speaking after WWDC, Craig Federighi and Apple Design VP Alan Dye discussed the development of the lock screen changes.

"We knew this was a multi-act play, and we knew our next venue would be the Lock Screen," Federighi told TechRadar. "We saw a real opportunity to take that area that really has evolved slowly over time but has never seen this kind of massive step forward, and to do something really big -- but something very Apple and very personal."

Federighi refers to it as being "an act of love this year."

Dye explained, "Our goal was to make the iPhone even more personal - and definitely more useful - but also keep intact those key elements that make iPhone, iPhone."

He went on to say that the Design Team had a goal to "create something that felt almost more editorial, and to give the user the ability to create a Lock Screen that really ends up looking like a great magazine cover or film poster but doing it in a way that's hopefully really simple to create, very fun, and even with a lot of automation there."

Part of the magazine look is having elements intersecting with others, such as having the subject of the wallpaper appear in front of the clock. Dye says the segmentation is a years-long goal of the team, but had to wait until it was perfect as "unless the segmentation is just ridiculously good, it breaks the illusion."

Machine learning is also used to determine how to tweak a lock screen image to perfection. Federighi says there's "dozen neural networks that judge the photo based on whether it's a desirable subject, if there are people there, how they're framed and cropped in the photo, their expressions. All these things that allow us to surface automatically really great, compelling options for people and then to render them on the screen in a way that makes them feel almost all-new."

This information is used to provide users a selection of looks to choose from, rather than specific filters. According to Dye, if the system doesn't believe the image will look great, it simply won't offer it to the user, and instead choose something more appropriate.

"You get something so much more compelling than just laying a filter over the photo," Federighi adds.

The introduction of more items to the lock screen was certainly inspired by the Apple Watch complications, Dye adds, to make them as glanceable as possible. "There's no question - one of the benefits of having one design team that works on every product and the design across all of our products, we learned a lot about glanceable information and how to portray that over a variety of different images"

On notification changes, Dye offers the idea of them flowing in from the base of the screen is nice for personalization "because so often we see notifications completely obscuring the photo on your Lock Screen, which we didn't want to do with this new design."

With the influx of a new iOS version, the additional personalization options may be confusing to some users, but Federighi is confident it will be accepted by the public. Apple doesn't intend to force users into making major changes to their lock screen if they don't want to, and that it is a choice to engage.

"Somebody who would occasionally change the photo on their Lock Screen, they'd go into settings, and they'd go to that screen [that lets them make the change]," Federighi explains. "We meet them right there, as they go there and, some of this isn't in the seed build right now, but we make them aware of their option to either change what they have like they did in the past or to add another [lock screen]"

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 14
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,384member
    Apple once again shows everyone how it’s done, even when it comes to less critical things like customization. Custom Android homescreens have always looked like absolute trash. It takes skill and deep thinking to provide the user with customization options, but in a way that provides a high likelihood that the end result will actually look good. 
    williamlondonAnilu_777macxpresslkruppStrangeDaysappleinsideruserMrBunsidebluefire1doozydozengregoriusm
  • Reply 2 of 14
    techridertechrider Posts: 102member
    This cool feature will help attract attention to the iPhone and make Lock Screen better. Personally, I’m more interested in the great features beyond the Lock Screen (you know, where 99.99% of one’s device time is spent).
    baconstangjony0
  • Reply 3 of 14
    Anilu_777Anilu_777 Posts: 526member
    I’m very interested in how the Lock Screen customizations flow with Focus modes. I’m really going to go deep with that as I already use several per day but they’re meh right now. 
  • Reply 4 of 14
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,808member
    slurpy said:
    Apple once again shows everyone how it’s done, even when it comes to less critical things like customization. Custom Android homescreens have always looked like absolute trash. It takes skill and deep thinking to provide the user with customization options, but in a way that provides a high likelihood that the end result will actually look good. 
    This! Apple is almost never the company that does things first, but when they do it, they typically do it far better than anyone else with lots of refinement. First doesn't mean better. It really doesn't mean shit in the grand scheme of things. 
    edited June 2022 lkruppbrometheusradarthekatargonautlolliverjony0
  • Reply 5 of 14
    baconstangbaconstang Posts: 1,105member
    Does this mean they've finally made it so you have the option to disable the camera when the screen is locked?
    Alex1Ndarkvader
  • Reply 6 of 14
    Where’s the love for the iPadOS Lock Screen?
    avon b7appleinsideruserurashidAlex1N
  • Reply 7 of 14
    bluefire1bluefire1 Posts: 1,302member
    Hard to believe the original iPhone came out 25 years ago. At the time, it put all other mobile phones to shame. Over the years, Apple has continued to be a model of inspiration and excellence. Here’s to the next 25 years!
  • Reply 8 of 14
    bageljoeybageljoey Posts: 2,004member
    bluefire1 said:
    Hard to believe the original iPhone came out 25 years ago. At the time, it put all other mobile phones to shame. Over the years, Apple has continued to be a model of inspiration and excellence. Here’s to the next 25 years!
    Ummm, 15. 
    But yeah
    urashiddoozydozenradarthekatlolliverdarkvader
  • Reply 9 of 14
    iPadOS 17 😅
  • Reply 10 of 14
    coolfactorcoolfactor Posts: 2,241member
    techrider said:
    This cool feature will help attract attention to the iPhone and make Lock Screen better. Personally, I’m more interested in the great features beyond the Lock Screen (you know, where 99.99% of one’s device time is spent).

But that could be the point... transforming the Lock Screen into something that's not used into something that is used more, differentiating iPhone from the other options that just have a static lock screen.
    gregoriusmlolliver
  • Reply 11 of 14
    thrangthrang Posts: 1,008member
    Not specific to this topic, but while we're on new features...

PLEASE have the charge audio tone follow the focus mode, so that if in Sleep mode, it is silent and doesn't twern at high volume when I place the phone on the charger on my nightstand and disturb my wife. Yes, if I remember, I can manually physcially switch to silent mode, but that's not the answer (and then I have to remember to switch it out of mute in the morning) Follow the focus!

gregoriusmAlex1Nh4y3sargonaut
  • Reply 12 of 14
    dewmedewme Posts: 5,359member
    That was my thought too. Only after installing iPadOS 16 on a spare iPad did I realize the lock screen enhancements were nowhere to be found. After thinking about it for a bit I can understand why this feature would be a big deal on iOS but a much less big deal on iPadOS. A lot of people keep their phone stowed in a pocket, purse, or sitting on a surface next to them. Being able to tap the phone or pick it up to activate the Lock Screen and be immediately greeted with a collection of useful information and personal pictures is a good thing. It’ll be even better and more immediate if the iPhone gets an always-on display, but no matter what, this is something that users may do dozens of times a day on their phone. But on an iPad? I don’t think it’s even close.

What would make sense for iPad, for my usage at least, would be to have the same modal Lock Screen capability coupled with a customizable always-on display capability when the iPad plugged into power. This would allow me to have an iPad on a dock, stand, or Magic Keyboard on my desk next to my Mac and have it showing useful information while it’s locked. Of course I’d expect it to have a user definable dimming percentage and a maximum timeout so it’s not displaying anything while I’m sleeping. Or maybe a proximity detection driven blanking function. Incidentally this is kind of how Amazon’s Echo Show devices work in ambient conditions, except they also cycle through a few ads/suggestions and have none of the iPad functionality. On the iPad I’d just want to see the appropriate Lock Screen, with perhaps a widget that cycles through my photos.
    edited June 2022
  • Reply 13 of 14
    AI_liasAI_lias Posts: 434member
    ..."Act of love"... no sooner Jonathan Ive and his bullshit left, and Federighi picks up the mantle. 
    TRAG
  • Reply 14 of 14
    darkvaderdarkvader Posts: 1,146member
    Why would anybody want this?

The lock screen has too much on it as it is.  I'm good with the time and date being there.  I'm ok with the battery SoC.  I'd rather not have any info about WiFi, cell carrier, cell signal strength, Bluetooth connections, location services, or rotation lock on there.  

If the phone is locked and I need that info, I'll unlock it.  If somebody else wants that info they shouldn't be able to get it.  A locked phone should do nothing and give nothing away.
    baconstang