Tesla, BMW don't appear to be gearing up to join Apple's new CarPlay vision

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 59
    lukeilukei Posts: 379member
    MrBunside said:
    So let me get this right... people call Apple a monopoly for not allowing other app stores on their smart phone devices, but nobody calls Tesla a monopoly for not allowing other entertainment apps on their smart car devices. Can someone explain the hypocrisy? 
    Tesla has less than a 3% market share. 

In the U.K. the Model Y is the best selling car (not just EV, all cars), Model 3 is in second place
    lolliver
  • Reply 42 of 59
    MplsPMplsP Posts: 3,925member
    macxpress said:
    chadbag said:
    Now I know why BMW drivers are  attracted to BMWs.   "Takes one to know one".  Arrogant a-hole drivers attracted to arrogant company.

(Note the above is said in jest, but only partially.  Whether deserved or Not, BMW drivers do have a certain stereotyped reputation). 
    It's funny, the other day I was thinking that Tesla drivers had surpassed BMW drives for that reputation. So not terribly surprised to see the two companies linked in this article. 
    Yeah, Tesla people are very attached to the brand...even though the car as a whole is a POS. 
    The ironic thing is Tesla fans
    /fanatics are very similar to Apple fans. There are plenty of people who still say “you’re holding it wrong” and there are plenty of Tesla fans who say “you’re driving it wrong.” What’s really entertaining is to see Tesla fans slam Apple fans, and see Apple fans slam Tesla fans both for the same reason. 

I say this as someone who owns and likes Apple products and owns and likes a Tesla. I’m also someone who doesn’t drink Kool Aid from either company. I like my MBP and iPhone and I like my Tesla. Neither company is perfect, though.
    avon b7muthuk_vanalingamwatto_cobra
  • Reply 43 of 59
    “According to statistics published by Apple, 79% of U.S. car buyers wouldn't even consider purchasing a vehicle without CarPlay“

wow - I’m not sure how that statistic works since iPhone has far less than a 79% market share. Apparently people want to buy cars based on compatibility with a device they don’t own?

I’ve owned a model Y for a year and a half. The lack of CarPlay was something I was concerned about but I went ahead and bought it after talking with other owners. In general it hasn’t been as big of an issue as I was worried about. Teslas interface, while not perfect, is better than the majority of other car makers out there. I did end up getting a Spotify account because of the lack of Apple Music and I have to say that for my purposes Spotify and Apple Music are basically equivalent in the many ways Spotify is better.

The main thing I continue to miss with CarPlay is messages and the podcast app. Tesla has a decent messaging app but it still isn’t as quite good as CarPlay’s, In Spotify’s podcast functionality isn’t quite on par with other podcast apps.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 44 of 59
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    MplsP said:
    “According to statistics published by Apple, 79% of U.S. car buyers wouldn't even consider purchasing a vehicle without CarPlay“

wow - I’m not sure how that statistic works since iPhone has far less than a 79% market share. Apparently people want to buy cars based on compatibility with a device they don’t own?
    On Gruber's Talk Show, Greg Joswiak clarified that that number was a survey of people buying new cars, i.e. not used.  Which changes the maths a bit.
    muthuk_vanalingamlolliverwatto_cobra
  • Reply 45 of 59
    temperortemperor Posts: 66member
    MplsP said:

/fanatics are very similar to Apple fans. There are plenty of people who still say “you’re holding it wrong” and there are plenty of Tesla fans who say “you’re driving it wrong.” What’s really entertaining is to see Tesla fans slam Apple fans, and see Apple fans slam Tesla fans both for the same reason. 

I say this as someone who owns and likes Apple products and owns and likes a Tesla. I’m also someone who doesn’t drink Kool Aid from either company. I like my MBP and iPhone and I like my Tesla. Neither company is perfect, though.
    The funny thing though was that if you held your blackberry the same way, the antenna attenuation was the same …

Anyway I’m bought and Apple user and a Tesla driver, I can only say this, I will keep on buying Apple Products, buit my 2020 Model X will be my first and last Tesla … 
    I would be limited by the number of characters I can post. A colleague of mine recently had an accident with her Tesla Model 3, still in the repair chop after 4 month’s … 

Some random points me and my friends experienced Tesla ownership:
    - Phantom breaking (my 6 year old Germans car has better high way adaptive cruise control)
    - low sun, no AP available
    - no real 360 camera, really? (Pathetic rear and side view cam’s are not really 360, let alone if you drive fwd)
    - accusing Apple of being closed, yet no Android auto or Apple CarPlay
    - try to get in when it’s freezing, guess they do not have that in CA ;-)
    - automatic wipers, still beta and utterly unusable 
    - no cross traffic assistance when reversing of the drive way (again my 6 year old German car has that)
    The list of missing features is long, but I’m bored …

I’ll leave out the personal service issues I have, had to many to count and to small a sample, but if you go on social media, strangely enough the list I see there, matches mine 90%

I thought it would be better with Model Y, but some reviews on YT made me decide to cancel my Y.

They are/where the most efficient EV’s out there, but the current generation of EV’s come pretty close and even beat Tesla at that, the only reason for me left was the supercharger network, but after they have opened that up in many EU countries, I decided my next one will not be a Tesla anymore, and in fact my friends that have one, only one will stay Tesla, the rest will move to their previous brands, mostly BMW, Audi, VW, Porsche … seems like Germans know how to build cars and are finally catching up to Tesla, now if they only could build them at scale, granted that is something Tesla has figured out, and is in this society probably more important, as waiting 12 month’s for a car is something most of us can’t stand, instant gratification is the rage and pleasure delaying is not ;-) 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 46 of 59
    Rogue01Rogue01 Posts: 158member
    Apple can’t make the car, so now they want to take over the entire vehicle’s operating system?  No thanks.  CarPlay is great for infotainment, but not for the entire operation of the car.  

It took over two years for CarPlay to be reality.  This will likely take longer and probably more auto makers nixing the idea.  Lots of liability involved with regards to accidents and whether or not CarPlay was showing the correct info.  iOS isn’t exactly rock solid with every release.  Once after an iOS update, I had to acknowledge an Apple Music nag advertisement before CarPlay would work again.  So I had to pull over and decline the message in the Music app.  Then CarPlay worked again.  Imagine that hijacking the entire interface of the car?
  • Reply 47 of 59
    command_fcommand_f Posts: 422member
    crowley said:
    MplsP said:

On Gruber's Talk Show, Greg Joswiak clarified that that number was a survey of people buying new cars, i.e. not used.  Which changes the maths a bit.
    Which Apple Store did they do the survey in?  ;)   And do US new car sales bear this out (ie do less than 20% of them not support CarPlay)?

Seriously, I still find it hard to believe. There are people out there that use Android by choice, not just to spend less on their phone. And people who buy base-model cars.
    muthuk_vanalingamwatto_cobra
  • Reply 48 of 59
    anantksundaramanantksundaram Posts: 20,404member
    rob53 said:
    Tesla has a great system, something CarPlay won’t be able to fully replace. Other car manufacturers don’t really have a fraction of the computing and operating capabilities Tesla has. CarPlay can help the other companies but I don’t see it actually running the entire car. 
    I got my Model S three months ago. Magnificent vehicle. Better than anything else I’ve owned. Much of the software interface is great (although, font sizes for alerts are ridiculously small, and I find it surprising you can’t control font size). 

It has a lot going for it. 

However, their BT based music interface is an embarrassment. Buggy, laggy, clunky, can’t even change playlists if playing from an iPhone etc. (heck, a Hyundai Elantra that my kids had five years ago didn’t have these issues). Can’t stream from AppleMusic either. CarPlay would be an easy way to overcome these limitations. But it seems that Cook and Musk don’t play well together — there seems to be some bad blood there. 
    muthuk_vanalingamMplsPwatto_cobra
  • Reply 49 of 59
    79% of potential car buyers is not the same as 79% of smart phone owners. People wondering how the survey says 79% car buyers say that won't consider a car without CarPlay, when the iPhone does not have 79% market share in smart phones are mixing 2 things up.
    lolliverwatto_cobra
  • Reply 50 of 59
    davidwdavidw Posts: 2,050member
    MrBunside said:
    So let me get this right... people call Apple a monopoly for not allowing other app stores on their smart phone devices, but nobody calls Tesla a monopoly for not allowing other entertainment apps on their smart car devices. Can someone explain the hypocrisy? 
    Tesla has over 70% of the EV market. But the market that counts for determining "monopoly" status, for people that don't have a clue about what a "relevant market" is, is that Tesla has 100% of the market of cars that runs on "TeslaOS".

If Apple and Google thought like Epic, they would sue Tesla, claiming they have a "monopoly" with the informational display system on a Tesla and violating the Sherman Act by not allowing CarPlay and Android Auto to be installed.

And if Tesla got labeled as a "gatekeeper" in the EU, they would not be allow to promote or pre-install their own informational display system in their own autos (that are sold in the EU). And they must open up "TeslaOS' so EU competitors can develop software for a Tesla or be allow to use features from it for their own EV autos. And for sure, Tesla would not be able to use their own proprietary plug and connector on their superchargers.  

And some here would claim ... It's my God Dam car, I paid for it and i should be able to sideload and use any car informational display system I want. Or download software that will let me use the car computer to mine for bitcoin. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 51 of 59
    jcs2305jcs2305 Posts: 1,337member
    macxpress said:
    morky said:
    macxpress said:
    chadbag said:
    Now I know why BMW drivers are  attracted to BMWs.   "Takes one to know one".  Arrogant a-hole drivers attracted to arrogant company.

(Note the above is said in jest, but only partially.  Whether deserved or Not, BMW drivers do have a certain stereotyped reputation). 
    It's funny, the other day I was thinking that Tesla drivers had surpassed BMW drives for that reputation. So not terribly surprised to see the two companies linked in this article. 
    Yeah, Tesla people are very attached to the brand...even though the car as a whole is a POS. 
    No, it isn't. 
    Yes it is...its horribly built and has some of the worst reliability of any car on the road. 
    BMW reliability is anything to write home about either....

MplsP
  • Reply 52 of 59
    morkymorky Posts: 200member
    macxpress said:
    morky said:
    macxpress said:
    chadbag said:

No, it isn't. 
    Yes it is...its horribly built and has some of the worst reliability of any car on the road. 
    macxpress said:
    morky said:
    macxpress said:
    chadbag said:

No, it isn't. 
    I'll take Sandy Munro's assessments over yours, sorry.
    MplsP
  • Reply 53 of 59
    nicholfdnicholfd Posts: 824member
    Madbum said:
    Considering BMW is first do Apple Keyless and the fact Apple used  their car on their presentation, I think BMW is in there

Tesla uses Android dude lol 
    Tesla does not use Android - they use Linux.  And Linux is not the same thing as Android.
  • Reply 54 of 59
    temperor said:
    MplsP said:

The funny thing though was that if you held your blackberry the same way, the antenna attenuation was the same …

Anyway I’m bought and Apple user and a Tesla driver, I can only say this, I will keep on buying Apple Products, buit my 2020 Model X will be my first and last Tesla … 
    I would be limited by the number of characters I can post. A colleague of mine recently had an accident with her Tesla Model 3, still in the repair chop after 4 month’s … 

Some random points me and my friends experienced Tesla ownership:
    - Phantom breaking (my 6 year old Germans car has better high way adaptive cruise control)
    - low sun, no AP available
    - no real 360 camera, really? (Pathetic rear and side view cam’s are not really 360, let alone if you drive fwd)
    - accusing Apple of being closed, yet no Android auto or Apple CarPlay
    - try to get in when it’s freezing, guess they do not have that in CA ;-)
    - automatic wipers, still beta and utterly unusable 
    - no cross traffic assistance when reversing of the drive way (again my 6 year old German car has that)
    The list of missing features is long, but I’m bored …

I’ll leave out the personal service issues I have, had to many to count and to small a sample, but if you go on social media, strangely enough the list I see there, matches mine 90%

I thought it would be better with Model Y, but some reviews on YT made me decide to cancel my Y.

They are/where the most efficient EV’s out there, but the current generation of EV’s come pretty close and even beat Tesla at that, the only reason for me left was the supercharger network, but after they have opened that up in many EU countries, I decided my next one will not be a Tesla anymore, and in fact my friends that have one, only one will stay Tesla, the rest will move to their previous brands, mostly BMW, Audi, VW, Porsche … seems like Germans know how to build cars and are finally catching up to Tesla, now if they only could build them at scale, granted that is something Tesla has figured out, and is in this society probably more important, as waiting 12 month’s for a car is something most of us can’t stand, instant gratification is the rage and pleasure delaying is not ;-) 
    - Agree on phantom braking. They've improved it with recent software updates but Tesla's implementation of adaptive cruise is still worse than most other car makers'
    - Disagree with the sun on AP. I've been repeatedly impressed by how well it handles driving into the sun. The times it hasn't been able to handle it are times that I've had a hard time myself. Not sure how you expect a system to handle glare from the sun in all situations - how many humans are in accidents because of this? If you have excessive problems, make sure dirty glass in front of the cameras isn't the problem.
    - Agree I'd like them to offer CarPlay or the ability to add 3rd party apps, but by the same token if you support Apple's closed system you can't criticize Tesla in this regard.
    - I've had my Model Y through 2 MN winters and never had a problem with the handles freezing. Not sure what you're doing but it's not an issue for me.
    - The auto wipers are definitely average. I've had better but I've also had worse.

If you're not happy with your Model X then I wouldn't get a Model Y - you won't be happy with that, either. I'm nobody's fanboy and I won't deny that Tesla's have issues, but so do other cars and they also have a lot of good attributes. Pick the car you like.
  • Reply 55 of 59
    79% of potential car buyers is not the same as 79% of smart phone owners. People wondering how the survey says 79% car buyers say that won't consider a car without CarPlay, when the iPhone does not have 79% market share in smart phones are mixing 2 things up.
    Yes, but looking at the statistics It's still hard to believe that 79% of car buyers are iPhone owners
    avon b7muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 56 of 59
    davidw said:
    MrBunside said:
    Tesla has over 70% of the EV market. But the market that counts for determining "monopoly" status, for people that don't have a clue about what a "relevant market" is, is that Tesla has 100% of the market of cars that runs on "TeslaOS".

If Apple and Google thought like Epic, they would sue Tesla, claiming they have a "monopoly" with the informational display system on a Tesla and violating the Sherman Act by not allowing CarPlay and Android Auto to be installed.

And if Tesla got labeled as a "gatekeeper" in the EU, they would not be allow to promote or pre-install their own informational display system in their own autos (that are sold in the EU). And they must open up "TeslaOS' so EU competitors can develop software for a Tesla or be allow to use features from it for their own EV autos. And for sure, Tesla would not be able to use their own proprietary plug and connector on their superchargers.  

And some here would claim ... It's my God Dam car, I paid for it and i should be able to sideload and use any car informational display system I want. Or download software that will let me use the car computer to mine for bitcoin. 
    Funny how Tesla is being treated differently than other carmakers. Toyota didn't allow CarPlay until recently and people complained but no one was arguing Toyota should be forced to allow it, why should it be different for Tesla?

If the Tesla OS wasn't designed with 3rd party apps in mind then security and stability could be legitimate reasons not to allow them. Currently, CarPlay is essentially nothing more than an external display so it shouldn't be a concern there, but the newer version is more 'invasive' as far as interactions with the car go.
  • Reply 57 of 59
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,808member
    morky said:
    macxpress said:
    morky said:
    macxpress said:
    chadbag said:

No, it isn't. 
    macxpress said:
    morky said:
    macxpress said:
    chadbag said:

No, it isn't. 
    Consumer Reports Still Ranks Tesla Reliability 27th Out Of 28 (insideevs.com)

Detailer Makes Demolishing Analysis of Tesla's Build Quality - autoevolution

How Was the Build Quality on Our Model Y? | News | Cars.com

Want more articles, or are you gonna call these all BS? I'll believe my assessments over Sandy's, sorry!
    lollivercrowleywatto_cobra
  • Reply 58 of 59
    anantksundaramanantksundaram Posts: 20,404member
    macxpress said:
    morky said:
    macxpress said:
    morky said:
    macxpress said:
    chadbag said:

No, it isn't. 
    macxpress said:
    morky said:
    macxpress said:
    chadbag said:

No, it isn't. 

Want more articles, or are you gonna call these all BS? I'll believe my assessments over Sandy's, sorry!
    Ah, you're now a fan of Consumer Reports... nice
  • Reply 59 of 59
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    macxpress said:
    morky said:
    macxpress said:
    morky said:
    macxpress said:
    chadbag said:

No, it isn't. 
    macxpress said:
    morky said:
    macxpress said:
    chadbag said:

No, it isn't. 

Ah, you're now a fan of Consumer Reports... nice
    There's three links there dude.