Craig Federighi promises iPad Stage Management improvements coming

Posted:
in iPad
Apple's Craig Federighi says Apple is aware of criticisms of Stage Manager on iPad, and fixes were already planned for forthcoming beta releases.

One of the stand-out and most immediately popular features of both iPadOS 16 and macOS Ventura, is Stage Manager -- but it has had criticisms. Chiefly, beta testers have complained that the iPad version is limited to those few iPads with an M1 processor.

Apple says that this is due to hardware limitations in earlier iPads, and in a new interview with TechCrunch, Federighi stresses how they would have wanted to add it to every iPad.

"I mean, we would love to make it available everywhere we can," he said. "But this is what it requires."

"From the start, the iPad has always maintained this extremely high standard for responsiveness and interactivity," he continues. "That directness of interaction in that every app can respond to every touch instantaneously, as if you are touching the real thing underneath the screen."

"And I think it's hard sometimes for people to appreciate the technical constraints involved in achieving that," said Federighi. "It's only the M1 iPads that combined the high DRAM capacity with very high capacity, high performance NAND that allows our virtual memory swap to be super fast... we just don't have that ability on the other systems."

"This is the experience we're going to carry into the future," he said. "We didn't want to constrain our design to something lesser, we're setting the benchmark for the future."

Improvements coming

Beyond the criticism over the hardware limitation, though, Federighi says that feedback on Stage Manager for iPad has included other points that Apple has also seen.

"We already had a number of them planned as it relates to stage manager both on Mac and iPad," he says. "And some of the feedback we've received are things where we're like 'yeah I mean that that's coming in seed two or seed three!' We already have those things identified, either that or bugs or just incomplete elements or tweaks to behavior."

"There hasn't been anything we've seen, that has us thinking like, whoa, that is that is unexpected news," continued Federigi. "Many of them are either the reaction we expect from people who haven't sort of adapted to the system or in areas where we have refinements in flight. So yeah, we're certainly going to continue to do that."

Federighi didn't specify any of the Stage Manager criticisms, nor speak to when the next beta releases are due. Despite his comments about fixes and refinements, however, AppleInsider testing shows that Stage Manager for iPad is already a very welcome update.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 11
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    Seems like weird defensive posturing to claim that they already know about all the issues and they'll be fixed in later releases.  Just say you're thankful for constructive feedback and improvements are coming, preferably with a timescale, even a vague one.
  • Reply 2 of 11
    crowley said:
    Seems like weird defensive posturing to claim that they already know about all the issues and they'll be fixed in later releases.  Just say you're thankful for constructive feedback and improvements are coming, preferably with a timescale, even a vague one.
    I feel like he is just explaining software development not being defensive. Isn’t “I mean that that's coming in seed two or seed three!' a vague timeline? 

Maybe your comment was directed toward a different part of the article. 
    scstrrfStrangeDayswatto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 11
    I’m on an older iPad Pro so I have not tried the feature, but it looks like it takes up a lot of screen space?

watto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 11
    dewmedewme Posts: 5,365member
    I think this messaging was really intended just to reiterate the fact that Stage Manager is still going to be limited to M1 iPads and for what Apple believes are very sound, rational, and justifiable engineering and quality based reasons. I’m totally cool with that. The unspecified other “needs improvement” areas that are alluded to are probably things that most beta testers would not be surprised to see in a Developer Beta 1. Whether this messaging soothes the feelings of disappointment among owners of recent iPad Pros who feel “left behind” by virtue of missing out on Stage Manager remains to be seen. I’d say the answer is probably “no.” 

One takeaway for me for this particular situation is that “If you live by the benchmark - you die by the benchmark.” When Apple made claims about how some of its A-series chips were “faster” than some high percentage of PC chips on the market we can assume that they could back those claims up with some benchmarks. That’s all fine and good, but synthetic or narrowly focused benchmarks aren’t the same as the actual performance of real features running on complete systems in the hands of customers. So yeah, those benchmarks were impressive, but the systems that were on those losing side of those benchmarks are actually capable of running at least a major subset of the features that are not viable on the benchmark winning system.

The other takeaway is that every system Apple makes is purpose-built and optimized to deliver the maximum levels of performance, user experience, and utility for its intended applications. Once you step outside of those bounds, say by trying to run desktop features or applications on a tablet platform, there are no guarantees for performance, user experience, or utility. 
    edited June 2022 scstrrfmobirdstompywatto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 11
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    crowley said:
    Because what they said was very likely true. That’s why this is a very early beta. You first get the basic functions working, and then add the additional ones you’ve planned. People will suggest some of these, and like to think it’s just their idea, but that’s only true sometimes. Apple has been known to backtrack on features during the betas as people complain about something or the other.
    StrangeDayswatto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 11
    jose8964jose8964 Posts: 17member
    Are there really that much difference between A12X and M1?
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 11
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,877member
    crowley said:
    It was a conversational interview, not a press release. Everybody knows how betas work and that issues will be fixed over the coming builds.
    williamlondonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 11
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,877member
    jose8964 said:
    Well, yes..

“It’s only the M1 iPads that combined the high DRAM capacity with very high capacity, high performance NAND that allows our virtual memory swap to be super fast,” Federighi says. “Now that we’re letting you have up to four apps on a panel plus another four — up to eight apps to be instantaneously responsive and have plenty of memory, we just don’t have that ability on the other systems.”

It was not purely the availability of memory that led Apple to limit Stage Manager to M1 iPads though.

“We also view stage manager as a total experience that involves external display connectivity. And the I/O on the M1 supports connectivity that our previous iPads don’t, it can drive 4K, 5K, 6K displays, it can drive them at scaled resolutions. We can’t do that on other iPads.”

Graphics performance, too, was a limiter.

“We really designed Stage Manager to take full advantage [of the M1]. If you look at the way the apps tilt and shadow and how they animate in and out. To do that at super high frame rates, across very large displays and multiple displays, requires the peak of graphics performance that no one else can deliver.

edited June 2022 williamlondonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 11
    Completely anecdotal, but my latest gen M1 iPad Pro 11" slows to a crawl and becomes entirely unusable after starting Stage Manager. I'm not complaining, it's the first beta, it'll get better. But, it definitely has me thinking this is evidence that Apple isn't just making some arbitrary cut off by not supporting SM on non M1 iPads, if my latest gen Pro literally can't handle it.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 10 of 11
    wonkothesanewonkothesane Posts: 1,724member
    I mean, one thing I did not really realize until now is that the iPad does not beachball. While I am used to the spinning waiting time in a few situations on my MacOS devices, I think the responsiveness thingy Craig touched on, really is a thing. Ok, you can argue it is not a thing, bc otherwiese I would have noticed that much earlier on. However, what if the paradigm going forward is “no beachballing”? Just a thought.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 11 of 11
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    jose8964 said:
    Yes.
    watto_cobra