Rumored 14-inch iPad may not be an iPad Pro after all, analyst claims

Posted:
in iPad
Display analyst Ross Young has walked back rumors of a 14.1-inch iPad Pro, stating that the supersized tablet would be a lower-tier iPad model without ProMotion or a mini LED display.

iPad on table
iPad on table

Initially, Young and his Display Supply Chain Consultants (DSCC) firm said that the new tablet would be an iPad Pro model with a 14.1-inch display and an M2 chip. Upon further discussions with his supply chain sources, Young has updated that prediction.

In a tweet to Super Followers, the analyst says that the device won't have mini LED backlighting after all and will instead rely on regular LED edge lighting. Similarly, he says the device isn't likely to have ProMotion.

Despite the fact that the iPad will be missing some Pro-level features, Young still says it's coming. Citing panel and LED suppliers, the analyst says that the 14.1-inch tablet could arrive in the first quarter of 2023.

As far as why the device will lack iPad Pro features, Young explains that 14-inch panels won't be much different in pricing from 10-inch panels in 2022. That could lead to a lower possible price point -- something that wouldn't be feasible with mini LED backlighting.

The timeline of the 14.1-inch iPad arriving in 2023 actually lines up with current iPad Pro predictions. According to Bloomberg, Apple is still planning on refreshing the 11-inch iPad Pro and 12.9-inch iPad Pro in the fall

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 12
    AniMillAniMill Posts: 155member
    This would be utterly pointless. The advantages of a larger iPad Pro are numerous to so many artists and content creators.

Please be wrong. 🙏
    Anilu_777watto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 12
    It is the touchscreen MacOS tablet/laptop we saw in an earlier post with the removable dock like the old Transformer series from Asus. 

Hopefully a dual boot device so it can run iPadOS when detached it wanted.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 12
    entropysentropys Posts: 4,166member
    Detachable keyboard tablets are heavy. They are not clunky tablets, and they are not good laptops, with poor balance.
    there are reasons those attempts by the wintel crowd were not successful.

as for this rumour, if there is any truth to a bigger iPad at all, weight is going to be a problem as it is. Full integration with a physical keyboard instead of the current iPad solution would be horrible.

I think it is possible a lower spec big iPad is possible, but the way Apple ticks is bigger devices are premium products at a premium price.

Regardless, I will be buying the next 11 inch IPP.
    edited June 2022 dewmejose8964chiawatto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 12
    SkepticalSkeptical Posts: 183member
    Oh the humanity. 
    jose8964watto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 12
    dewmedewme Posts: 5,362member
    Maybe they're experimenting with something akin to the Echo Show 15. A wall mounted hub for hosting apps like Home, some sort of shared family bulletin/status/schedules/whiteboard kind of thing plus media player, photos, FaceTime, weather, etc., kind of stuff.

Here's the thing, Apple's iPad Pros have shown us that Apple can get quite decent sound from an iPad form factor device, so maybe this is the HomePod Video I've been asking for? Wasn't there an embedded reference to a new HomePod version discovered recently?

I'd like nothing less than to see a HomePod Video that resembles the hideous "Tablet on a Stump" that Amazon and Facebook have already done. If Apple can get good sound from of a nearly flat device - and one that uses HomePod minis as satellite speakers - I think they will be on to something rather interesting. Having a real home for the Home hub in a permanently mounted display device would be awesome as well.
    edited June 2022 watto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 12
    thttht Posts: 5,443member
    I assume Young would know whether a 14.1" display is for an iPad or a MacBook by just the aspect ratio alone, or by resolution. iPad: 4:3 aspect ratio at 264 PPI. MB: 16:10 aspect ratio at 220 PPI for MBA or 254 PPI for MBP. These are pretty fundamental aspects of the display.

So, seems he really doesn't know. Since he thinks it remains an iPad, 4:3 aspect ratio it is. He sounds like he is only feeling one part of the elephant here.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 12
    canukstormcanukstorm Posts: 2,700member
    dewme said:
    Maybe they're experimenting with something akin to the Echo Show 15. A wall mounted hub for hosting apps like Home, some sort of shared family bulletin/status/schedules/whiteboard kind of thing plus media player, photos, FaceTime, weather, etc., kind of stuff.

Here's the thing, Apple's iPad Pros have shown us that Apple can get quite decent sound from an iPad form factor device, so maybe this is the HomePod Video I've been asking for? Wasn't there an embedded reference to a new HomePod version discovered recently?

I'd like nothing less than to see a HomePod Video that resembles the hideous "Tablet on a Stump" that Amazon and Facebook have already done. If Apple can get good sound from of a nearly flat device - and one that uses HomePod minis as satellite speakers - I think they will be on to something rather interesting. Having a real home for the Home hub in a permanently mounted display device would be awesome as well.
    What benefit would such a device give you that an iPad can't?
  • Reply 8 of 12
    canukstormcanukstorm Posts: 2,700member
    tht said:
    I assume Young would know whether a 14.1" display is for an iPad or a MacBook by just the aspect ratio alone, or by resolution. iPad: 4:3 aspect ratio at 264 PPI. MB: 16:10 aspect ratio at 220 PPI for MBA or 254 PPI for MBP. These are pretty fundamental aspects of the display.

So, seems he really doesn't know. Since he thinks it remains an iPad, 4:3 aspect ratio it is. He sounds like he is only feeling one part of the elephant here.
    Ross Young is by far the most accurate Display Analyst.  He's battiing well over 90%.  In fact, I find him much more credible vs Mark Gurman.
    applguywatto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 12
    I hope Apple will allow this iPad to be an external screen then. Hopefully for game consoles (Nintendo Switch, Xbox or PlayStation) since they are already allowing use of the controllers.  😅😅😅
    AniMillwatto_cobra
  • Reply 10 of 12
    dewmedewme Posts: 5,362member
    dewme said:

What benefit would such a device give you that an iPad can't?
    If Apple followed the model that the Amazon Echo Show 15 uses with a fixed set of built-in apps focused solely on audio and video media consumption, plus a few family sharing features, they could hit a much lower price point while still providing a decent sized display and speakers. The 15” Show retails for $250 but is sometimes on-sale for $199. 

Sure, you could use a $1000 iPad Pro for a similar collection of features and mount it to a wall, but that would be massive overkill for the limited features that make sense for the device’s role. Some people have repurposed old iPads for similar applications, which kind of conveys the notion that this isn’t something that demands all the latest and greatest components. 

In addition to this HomePod audio-video device only needing a small subset of iPad features, there’s also the unique aspects of what this device needs for its purpose  that the iPad doesn’t deliver, such as an integrated mounting system to make it easier to attach it to a wall, as Amazon has done with the 15” Show.
    h4y3swatto_cobra
  • Reply 11 of 12
    macguimacgui Posts: 2,358member
    AI said:
    As far as why the device will lack iPad Pro features, Young explains that 14-inch panels won't be much different in pricing from 10-inch panels in 2022. That could lead to a lower possible price point -- something that wouldn't be feasible with mini LED backlighting.

While Young may be right about the raw 14" panels not costing much more than 10" panels, I don't think that will translate in to a significantly lower delta between the two finished products.

But it certainly would be cheaper than a "well equipped" Pro, and could serve to slightly mitigate the sticker shock of a bigger, better Pro, as well as test the market for a 14" iPad.

watto_cobra
  • Reply 12 of 12
    AppleZuluAppleZulu Posts: 2,006member
    It is the touchscreen MacOS tablet/laptop we saw in an earlier post with the removable dock like the old Transformer series from Asus. 

Hopefully a dual boot device so it can run iPadOS when detached it wanted.
    Not going to happen.
    thtwatto_cobra