Our iBook was stolen... :(

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
My wife's and my iBook was stolen this afternoon while she was studying in the library (supposedly access is limited to students with ID's, but whatever...). Yeah, she should have used the cable lock that we have (which she usually uses), but it's over and done with at this point.

My question is: Does anyone have any sense of where stolen laptops end up these days? In other words, is it worth checking out eBay or something on a regular basis?

Also, does anyone know of statistics on how often laptops are stolen for the hardware and how often they are stolen to "mine" the personal information on the computer? I have already cancelled all credit cards and changed account numbers for all accounts which I have accessed and/or downloaded statements from the computer.

One bright spot: I had a personal articles insurance policy on the computer (no deductible ), so depending on how much we get reimbrused, it might be time for an upgrade...

Signed,

Sad ex-iBook Owner

Comments

• Reply 1 of 19
    alcimedesalcimedes Posts: 5,486member
    you can check e-bay, although good luck knowing which one is yours and which isn't. if you have the serial number, report it stolen to the police and apple as well. that way if it ever comes in for repair, you can get it back.
  • Reply 2 of 19
    I checked eBay and there are numerous iBooks, but no new postings today. I'll keep checking and see if something fishy pops up. I knows it's unlikely, but I'm in the mood for some vigilante justice.

Apple is going to reimburse us for the remainder of our AppleCare policy (pro-rated for what's left of the three years). I thought that was pretty cool.

Also, for the laptop owners out there, get a personal articles insurance policy for your laptop! I already got a call from the insurance adjuster, and he was ready to order a new iBook to replace the one that was stolen or cut a check for the replacement cost. I think we are going to take the check and put it towards a AlBook 12.1". I guess that's the silver lining, although I'm sad to see the iBook go.
  • Reply 3 of 19
    That sucks....

And just because access is student only doesn't mean none of them aren't theving little....(shakes fist). Someone's having a kegger tonight on you.

Losing the computer if it's insured wouldn't bother me so much....it's the canceling credit card stuff you had to do. Smart of you to remember that...a lot of folks wouldn't. But like you said...maybe you can get a PowerBook out of it .
  • Reply 4 of 19
    lucaluca Posts: 3,833member
    Something similar happened to a friend of mine... they had a lot of computers. All but one was stolen. His dad's 500 MHz Pismo, his superdrive iMac, and his brother's 500 MHz graphite iMac. The only one they left was a G3-upgraded PowerMac 6100

Anyway, their insurance covered it and they were able to buy TWO new flat panel iMacs AND a new TiBook.
  • Reply 5 of 19
    bluesignsbluesigns Posts: 315member
    i remember a

"Stolen PowerBook serial number database"

or something like that - that the guy from O'grady's powerpage [i think] created or was promoting.

so, people with stolen portables would have a place to report their serial numbers and potential buyrs of used machines could check their potential urchases against the repository.

it's been a long time since i read that

and i don't know how far they got with it

but it's related so i thought i'd mention it.

also there was some guy recently in PA trying to sell an iBook in a hurry at a serious discount and i was wishing i could check the serial number on that one.
  • Reply 6 of 19
    ast3r3xast3r3x Posts: 5,012member
    sorry to sound like an ass, but if i had a laptop you better believe it wouldn't be out of my sight for more then 2seconds so if somone is within 30ft of it i pull the pen out of my pocket and go for the jugular(sorry bad spelling)!

if any of you do get any laptop and want something that is VERY nice...try this please

MacPhoneHome

i think this will solve ur needs and would have been the solution to all the problems of theft i think...it may have been another program but this even survives a reformat of the HD i think
  • Reply 7 of 19
    I found some references to the O'Grady Powerbook registration page, but they point to dead links. It doesn't seem there anymore, unfortunately. It would seem that laptops would be pretty traceable if such a database existed.

I noticed some iBook front-panels and back-panels for sale on eBay (not from anywhere near where I live)... They seemed somewhat suspicous to me, especially when I read the descriptions and it was clear that the writer had a limited understanding of computers (i.e. if someone was really running a reputable tech shop and had some spare parts lying around, I would expect a more computer savvy description, as opposed to someone who just took the thing apart and is trying to sell parts - who knows).
  • Reply 8 of 19
    Quote:

Originally posted by ast3r3x

sorry to sound like an ass, but if i had a laptop you better believe it wouldn't be out of my sight for more then 2seconds so if somone is within 30ft of it i pull the pen out of my pocket and go for the jugular(sorry bad spelling)!

if any of you do get any laptop and want something that is VERY nice...try this please

MacPhoneHome

i think this will solve ur needs and would have been the solution to all the problems of theft i think...it may have been another program but this even survives a reformat of the HD i think

Indeed. So, we live and learn.
  • Reply 9 of 19
    A funny/scary aside:

Apparently, the theft of my wife's computer led to a bit of a review of the security policy in the library at her school over the last couple of days. One of the interesting discoveries: homeless people were living in some of the quieter corners of the library at night - and this is at a school where we pay $25k per year and this a professional school library where you are supposed to show ID to enter. Importantly, I don't mean to suggest that the homeless individuals are any more or less likely to steal something, including the computer; I just think it showed what a joke the security is that people could move in and out that easily.
  • Reply 10 of 19
    cosmocosmo Posts: 662member
    Quote:

Originally posted by chuckster

Also, for the laptop owners out there, get a personal articles insurance policy for your laptop!

Out of curiousity, how much does personal articles insurance cost you?

Is it part of you homeowners insurance, or a seprate policy?
  • Reply 11 of 19
    Quote:

Originally posted by Cosmo

We have a renter's policy that covers stuff in our apartment for like $270. The computer is a separate policy which costs like $12 per year or every six month (I can't remember which). But, as I mentioned earlier, it has no deductible and it for a replacement costs (i.e. they gave us the amount that I paid for the computer in Dec. 2001 since it costs that much now to get something equivalent - which now is actually something much better for the same money!).
  • Reply 12 of 19
    Quote:

Originally posted by Cosmo

We have a renter's policy that covers stuff in our apartment for like $270. The computer is a separate policy which costs like $12 per year or every six month (I can't remember which). But, as I mentioned earlier, it has no deductible and it is for replacement costs (i.e. they gave us the amount that I paid for the computer in Dec. 2001 since it costs that much now to get something equivalent - which now is actually something much better for the same money!).
  • Reply 13 of 19
    ".... survives a reformatt of the HD."

who are you trying to kid ????
  • Reply 14 of 19
    defiantdefiant Posts: 4,876member
    Quote:

Originally posted by KingOfSomewhereHot

".... survives a reformatt of the HD."

who are you trying to kid ????

It's true. It does survive.
  • Reply 15 of 19
    Quote:

Originally posted by Defiant

Whether or not it does survive (it seems to me that if someone knows what they're doing that it's easy enough to get rid of even with open firmware passwords, etc... how about a really big magnet?), there seems to be an even more basic problem. It seems that you need a universal SMTP server to send the e-mail which is supposed to tell where your computer is so that, no matter which ISP the thief is using, it can send the distress call. Are there many "open" SMTP servers left these days with people trying to cut back on spam?
  • Reply 16 of 19
    escherescher Posts: 1,811member
    chuckster: Sorry to hear about your stolen iBook, and glad to hear about your insurance policy. You haven't mentioned loss of data on the iBook at all. Can I assume that you had diligently backed up your data shortly before the theft?

I just thought I'd remind people to back up your data. Personally, I don't have an insurance policy on my iBook, but I certainly back up my data. My data (notes, e-mail, pictures, movies) are significantly more important to me than my iBook itself. No insurance policy can replace lost data.

Escher
  • Reply 17 of 19
    der kopfder kopf Posts: 2,275member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Defiant

How does it survive? I really wonder. Imagine if you stole a computer, what would be the first thing you do? Well, maybe first you'd check out if there were some worthwhile files on the comp, but then, I'd certainly do a 'zero all data' reformat. That's what I and all my thieving buddies always do, by the way How can this thing survive that?

[please note I've never stolen a computer]
  • Reply 18 of 19
    defiantdefiant Posts: 4,876member
    Quote:

Originally posted by der Kopf

How can this thing survive that?

some answers:

http://www.protectyourlaptop.com/ztracegold.htm <-- uneraseable

http://www.computersecurity.com/stealth/faq.htm <-- erasable

http://www.relevanttechnologies.com/page59.html <-- ?

• Reply 19 of 19
    Quote:

Originally posted by Escher

chuckster: Sorry to hear about your stolen iBook, and glad to hear about your insurance policy. You haven't mentioned loss of data on the iBook at all. Can I assume that you had diligently backed up your data shortly before the theft?

I just thought I'd remind people to back up your data. Personally, I don't have an insurance policy on my iBook, but I certainly back up my data. My data (notes, e-mail, pictures, movies) are significantly more important to me than my iBook itself. No insurance policy can replace lost data.

Escher

We did okay on data loss. I have a Lacie firewire drive, and I cloned the whole drive in February. My wife has backed up intermittently up until about three weeks before the theft and unfortunately lost a bunch of school notes which are not replaceable. I totally agree that the value of the iBook was unimportant really - I would have gladly handed it over to the theif if he/she gave me 20 minutes to back the last few things up. I think we will be more diligent about backing up now. It took me about 30 minutes to move everything over to our replacement 12" AlBook this weekend (which is totally beautiful, by the way).

Perhaps even more of a pain was the "sensitive" data that was on the computer (i.e. some bank statements with account numbers on them). We just finished getting new accounts to replace all of the ones we cancelled just in case. I think now I am going to install Quicken on the firewire drive that stays at home, and when I want to do finances, I will boot from that drive (I know that defeats the point of a back-up somewhat, but I am more worried about security on that information - besides, that information is easily replaceable).