Tim Cook says 'stay tuned' to see how Apple will evolve AR with humanity

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited June 2022
Apple CEO Tim Cook has repeated how excited he is by AR, but now also emphasized how the company is working to make products that put "humanity at the center of it."

Tim Cook has regularly spoken about being excited over AR and what it can offer, without ever detailing anything about Apple AR plans. In a short new interview, though, he has both talked up the future of AR, and made it clear where Apple sees the challenges of it.

In this @ChinaDailyUSA interview, @tim_cook was asked about AR and VR headsets...watch his response... Reality is coming@mingchikuo @Scobleizer @CharlieFink @SkarredGhost @CapStark7 pic.twitter.com/tJz5j9dBVB

-- Csar (@cesarberardini)

"I am incredibly excited about AR as you might know," he told China Daily, "and the critical thing to any technology including AR is putting humanity at the center of it. And that is what we focus on every day."

"Right now, as an example, we have over 14,000 ARKit apps in the App Store which provide AR experiences for millions of people around the world," he continued. "But I think despite that, we're still in the very early innings of how this technology will evolve."

"I couldn't be more excited about the opportunities we've seen in this space," said Cook, "and sort of stay tuned, and you'll see what we have to offer."

Previously, Cook has also said that AR needs to avoid "distracting [users] from the physical world and your physical relationships."

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 13
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,384member
    I strongly believe what Apple reveals in this space will be mind blowing, and will actually have meaningful, useful and well thought out applications. They’re not just gonna shit out an AR product for the hell of it, or as a superfluous gimmick. 
    jas99iOS_Guy80byronllolliverwatto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 13
    emcnairemcnair Posts: 17member
    slurpy said:
    I strongly believe what Apple reveals in this space will be mind blowing, and will actually have meaningful, useful and well thought out applications. They’re not just gonna shit out an AR product for the hell of it, or as a superfluous gimmick. 
    I agree. It’s also clear that any headset that Apple creates won’t isolate you from the rest of the world.
    jas99iOS_Guy80byronllolliverwatto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 13
    Following his predecessor (the other guy managing SJ products well, while being unable to reproduce that level of creativity John Sculley), is this Tim Cooks Newton then?
    iOS_Guy80lkrupp
  • Reply 4 of 13
    OctoMonkeyOctoMonkey Posts: 311member
    Tuned in? Sadly after 35 years of being an Apple fanboy, I am largely tuned out. There is little, if anything, coming out of Cupertino which causes me to sit-up and take notice. I still keep abreast of Apple news, but twenty years ago I was checking twice a day, now maybe twice a week... maybe.
    9secondkox2lkrupp
  • Reply 5 of 13
    9secondkox29secondkox2 Posts: 2,707member
    Tuned in? Sadly after 35 years of being an Apple fanboy, I am largely tuned out. There is little, if anything, coming out of Cupertino which causes me to sit-up and take notice. I still keep abreast of Apple news, but twenty years ago I was checking twice a day, now maybe twice a week... maybe.
    Bruh… one company cannot change the world every day. Any company is fortunate if they ever have even one revolutionary product in its entire life cycle. 

Apple? Let’s see… the mouse, the mass market GUI, the first tablet (newton) which evolved into the most successful tablet (iPad), the iPod and iTunes, airdrop (I mean come on, this unsung hero has transformed computing life), the IPHONE, the Apple Watch, which ushered in a new era of smart watches snd defined the segment, and now bleeding edge SOCs, taking ARM architecture to unbelievable new heights. Then there are the car rumors, the AR evidence, etc. 

I’m sorry, but even if you hate Apple through and through for whatever reason, you must acknowledge they have developed hot after hit, are more exciting than any other tech company, execute impossible dreams nearly perfectly to make them reality, and unlike Microsoft, they don’t ditch them a couple years later. They iterate and iterate until it’s perfect snd then build on that some more. Your take just doesn’t align with the real world. 

Personally looking forward to AR, so long as it isn’t overreaching, censored to align with only one political or moral bias, or privacy invasive. 
    rammorrisbyronlkurai_kagewatto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 13
    22july201322july2013 Posts: 3,571member
    When Cook said his last dozen words, it looked like he was trying to hide a frown, the kind of facial expression people tend to make when they think they've said something that they shouldn't have.
    lkruppbyronl
  • Reply 7 of 13
    clemynxclemynx Posts: 1,552member
    Yes, Apple was so much more exciting at the end of the 90s. The iPhone certainly pales in comparison to the Macintosh II. 
  • Reply 8 of 13
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    clemynx said:
    Yes, Apple was so much more exciting at the end of the 90s. The iPhone certainly pales in comparison to the Macintosh II. 
    The Macintosh II wasn't released in the late 90s.
    lolliver
  • Reply 9 of 13
    these days, "insanely great" products from Apple, or any companies, just come out at a very slow pace, simply because the exponential growing phase for technology has passed, today's great products requires much more R&D work to make it happen
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 10 of 13
    macguimacgui Posts: 2,357member
    crowley said:
    clemynx said:
    Pedantry aside, it's a distinction without a difference, and point taken.

Surely, Apple has certified Industrial Hygienists onboard the company. They are subject matter experts that know how best to protect people from airborne pathogens. Listen to them, Tim Apple. 
    He probably did. Where I am is under mask-required-indoors because of a spike in Omicron outbreaks. The last thing I want is to go into a store where some yahoo is unmasked because it's his choice based likely on something he read on Face Book and not the health care professionals who required the mandate.

emcnair said:
    slurpy said:
    I agree. It’s also clear that any headset that Apple creates won’t isolate you from the rest of the world.
    Isolation from the rest of the world is exactly what I what in a headset that can deliver VR. There are time when the rest of the world just fks with your head and it's nice to virtually get some place you can't visit by walking out your front door.

AR on the street is not the same thing, and we don't really know what AR/VR or AR-VR madness Tim is conjuring. I'd like to see something like some sci-fi device that takes me on a realistic virtual vacation without the danger of turning me into a Manchurian Candidate. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 11 of 13
    clemynxclemynx Posts: 1,552member
    crowley said:
    clemynx said:
    Yes I meant end of the 80s. 
  • Reply 12 of 13
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    clemynx said:
    crowley said:
    clemynx said:
    Yes I meant end of the 80s. 
    Which wasn't 20 years ago. 
  • Reply 13 of 13
    boboliciousbobolicious Posts: 1,146member
    ...is this where all the 'anonymized' iCloud data collected gets monetized for 'our' benefit...? Does it simply take a flip of the EULA switch...?
    edited June 2022