Google uses Drake's 'Texts Go Green' track to troll Apple

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 26
    Beats said:
    gatorguy said:
    Beats said:
    “It would make texting more secure too”???

What a sick company. Apple should sue them for lying and make a big media circus about it. 
    Oh, no doubt in my mind that Google hasn't always been 100% upfront (aka dishonest) in some past instances. Every big company "fluffs" the facts IMO.
    But they aren't lying about RCS being way more secure than SMS.

That Apple chooses not to replace SMS in iMessage plainly indicates it's only refusing for competition reasons, which ignores the security benefits of using RCS instead. Apple users would benefit. Apple themselves perhaps not. 

I thought the point of Google telling Apple what to do is to snoop through iPhone user’s data. 

auxio said:
    gatorguy said:
    Beats said:

What a sick company. Apple should sue them for lying and make a big media circus about it. 
    Oh, no doubt in my mind that Google hasn't always been 100% upfront (aka dishonest) in some past instances. Every big company "fluffs" the facts IMO.

That Apple chooses not to replace SMS in iMessage plainly indicates it's only refusing for competition reasons, which ignores the security benefits of using RCS instead. Apple users would benefit. Apple themselves perhaps not. 
    No need to be obtuse, we all understand the business models of each company: Google uses technology as a vehicle to fuel their main business (advertising), Apple sells technology as their main product.

Google sells themselves as "free and open" to those naïve enough in the tech industry to believe that they're altruistic, when in reality any technology they come across which requires licensing, they'll clone and own it (i.e. make/buy their own copy which is just different enough to not be sued) and release it for free, undercutting the original company who made it.  It happened with Sun/Oracle (Java), font foundries (free metric compatible clones of major fonts), MPEG-LA (VP8), and more.

Tech companies who love to get everything for free will cheer Google's openness right up until the point where whatever technology they create is undercut by them.  Though most companies have just come to the realization by now that they need to be in the data harvesting/advertising business too since there's no way to compete with free.  The devaluation of software as a product.

But yes, let's keep the narrative going and hope that Apple one day is forced to give their technology away for free and become yet another data harvesting/advertising company.

Don’t forget Google releases knockoff Apple products too and spreads the spyware for free to undercut Apple. I think Google is fuming that Apple sells hardware at a premium and has 20%+ world market share with their authentic products while their iKnockoffs can’t be cheap enough to beat Apple. 
    Are you so stupid that you think RCS was developed by Google? It was not. It was developed by the 3GPP and the OMA. 2 of the organizations that develop and set the standards for the mobile telecommunications network. 3GPP developed RCS just like they did the 3G, 4G, 5G standards and just like they are developing the 6G standard. They created RCS and released the first version in 2008. RCS has nothing to do with Google other then Google trying to push it. RCS is more secure then SMS as the 3GPP and OMA designed it in 2005-2008 to be. RCS is the future of SMS. But you din't care about facts. You won't respond because you are a coward.
  • Reply 22 of 26
    BeatsBeats Posts: 3,073member
    Beats said:

Do you think RCS is something Google came up with? It's not. The 3GPP and the OMA developed it in the mid 2000s and released the first standard spec in 2008 with the goal of it replacing SMS. RCS is was designed by them to be more secure.

No. I just know there’s an agenda behind their push.
    jony0
  • Reply 23 of 26
    docbburk said:
    Google is such a joke! Let's poke fun at the competitor for having had superior product for a long time, and try to get congress to force them to use our crap!  Trolls gonna troll
    RCS is not Google's "crap" RCS is a s standard developed by the 3GPP and the OMA. The first specification for the standard was released by them in 2008 as the next generation of text messaging service as a replacement for SMS and MMS. It was developed the same way they developed the standard for 3G and 4G. Educate yourself. But you won't and you are too much of a coward to respond.

It’s not that serious haha. But I don’t trust anything Google pushes. If Google can’t get their hands in your data, Google doesn’t care.

At this point I doubt Google is twiddling their thumbs and confused about how to improve iMessages beyond RCS.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 24 of 26
    Beats said:
    gatorguy said:
    Beats said:

I thought the point of Google telling Apple what to do is to snoop through iPhone user’s data. 

auxio said:
    gatorguy said:
    Beats said:

No need to be obtuse, we all understand the business models of each company: Google uses technology as a vehicle to fuel their main business (advertising), Apple sells technology as their main product.

Google sells themselves as "free and open" to those naïve enough in the tech industry to believe that they're altruistic, when in reality any technology they come across which requires licensing, they'll clone and own it (i.e. make/buy their own copy which is just different enough to not be sued) and release it for free, undercutting the original company who made it.  It happened with Sun/Oracle (Java), font foundries (free metric compatible clones of major fonts), MPEG-LA (VP8), and more.

Tech companies who love to get everything for free will cheer Google's openness right up until the point where whatever technology they create is undercut by them.  Though most companies have just come to the realization by now that they need to be in the data harvesting/advertising business too since there's no way to compete with free.  The devaluation of software as a product.

But yes, let's keep the narrative going and hope that Apple one day is forced to give their technology away for free and become yet another data harvesting/advertising company.

Don’t forget Google releases knockoff Apple products too and spreads the spyware for free to undercut Apple. I think Google is fuming that Apple sells hardware at a premium and has 20%+ world market share with their authentic products while their iKnockoffs can’t be cheap enough to beat Apple. 
    Are you so stupid that you think RCS was developed by Google? It was not. It was developed by the 3GPP and the OMA. 2 of the organizations that develop and set the standards for the mobile telecommunications network. 3GPP developed RCS just like they did the 3G, 4G, 5G standards and just like they are developing the 6G standard. They created RCS and released the first version in 2008. RCS has nothing to do with Google other then Google trying to push it. RCS is more secure then SMS as the 3GPP and OMA designed it in 2005-2008 to be. RCS is the future of SMS. But you din't care about facts. You won't respond because you are a coward.

Yes we are all dumb cowards who believe Google innovates and made RCS.

But we are also dumb cowards who don’t want Google telling Apple what to do. 
  • Reply 25 of 26
    coolfactorcoolfactor Posts: 2,241member
    Japhey said:
    Who cares? Why are they so fucking obsessed with this colors issue? They probably have an entire team assigned to it. Aren’t there more important things to fix in the world? Get a life, ffs. 

It's not about the colors. It's about the technology.

iMessage is secure, rich messaging between iPhone users elegantly integrated into the very same app that's used to message any phone. The problem is that the existing alternative is SMS (and MMS), both of which are NOT secure and not feature-rich. Google is trying to address that by making RCS the defacto standard, and they are being blocked (in a sense) because of Apple's huge influence in this area. Apple doesn't need RCS. It doesn't really benefit them.

That said, as long as RCS is in the same realm is iMessage, in terms of features, security and efficiency, then I think Apple should find a way to blend iMessage with RCS.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 26 of 26
    JapheyJaphey Posts: 1,767member
    Japhey said:
    Who cares? Why are they so fucking obsessed with this colors issue? They probably have an entire team assigned to it. Aren’t there more important things to fix in the world? Get a life, ffs. 

It's not about the colors. It's about the technology.

iMessage is secure, rich messaging between iPhone users elegantly integrated into the very same app that's used to message any phone. The problem is that the existing alternative is SMS (and MMS), both of which are NOT secure and not feature-rich. Google is trying to address that by making RCS the defacto standard, and they are being blocked (in a sense) because of Apple's huge influence in this area. Apple doesn't need RCS. It doesn't really benefit them.

That said, as long as RCS is in the same realm is iMessage, in terms of features, security and efficiency, then I think Apple should find a way to blend iMessage with RCS.
    Of course it’s about the technology, but Google is trying to exert its influence by crying about friggin colors to make it easier for the non-savvy Android user to understand. 

Also, I don’t quite understand how or why you can say that “Apple doesn’t need RCS. It doesn’t really benefit them”, then say “I think they should find a way to blend” the two. Um…why exactly? If it doesn’t benefit then, then why would they go out of their way to help benefit Google? And since we rarely, if ever, hear iOS users complain about this issue, why should/would Apple go out of their way to help benefit Android users? Why?

This logic makes no sense. 
    edited June 2022 watto_cobra