'Captain America' star Chris Evans finally gives up his iPhone 6s

Posted:
in iPhone
He had an Android phone in "Knives Out," and at least saw new devices while filming Apple TV+ "Defending Jacob," but actor Chris Evans was a long-time iPhone 6s user -- until now.

Moving from iPhone 6s to what looks like an iPhone 13. (Source: Chris Evans on Instagram.)
Moving from iPhone 6s to what looks like an iPhone 13. (Source: Chris Evans on Instagram.)

Not to spoil the 2019 hit "Knives Out," but there was a reason Chris Evans character had to have an Android phone. It's less clear exactly when the actor got himself an iPhone 6s, but it came out in 2015 and the last ones were sold in 2018.

Now Evans has announced that he's switching phones, and it's specifically because of the mounting problems with his aging iPhone 6s. In posts on Twitter and Instagram, he wrote a little eulogy to his departing phone.

RIP iPhone 6s

We had a good run. I'll miss your home button.

I won't miss the nightly battle of trying to get you to charge. Or your grainy pictures. Or your sudden drops from 100% battery, to 15%, to completely dead all within minutes.

It was a wild ride. Rest easy, pal.

-- Chris Evans (@ChrisEvans)

His Instagram posting has had over a million likes in under 12 hours, while the Twitter one has had half a million, plus an ever-growing discussion thread. The Twitter responses that stay on topic include ones reassuring him that you soon forget the home button.

Evans does not actually say what iPhone he's switched to. But the post on Instagram includes a photo of him transferring data from the iPhone 6s to what looks like a model of either iPhone 12, or iPhone 13.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 14
    DAalsethDAalseth Posts: 2,783member
    He’ll love FaceID. I know I stopped missing the Home Button within a day or so. 
    CluntBaby92byronlmike1jas99jony0watto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 14
    peterhartpeterhart Posts: 156member
    If you look at the location of the speaker pill cutout, you’d know it is not a 13.
    edited June 2022 watto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 14
    darkvaderdarkvader Posts: 1,146member
    DAalseth said:

Doubt it.  I've got a X that I use occasionally for testing, and I HATE FaceID.

And his problems would have been easily fixed with a new battery and new Lightning port.  It takes less time to do that than move data to a new phone, AND he'd still have a headphone port, which Apple is too cowardly to put back.

I'm currently using a 7+ as my daily carry phone.  At least a few times a week I miss the headphone port.  Every time that happens I seriously consider upgrading back to my 6s+ even though it's a bit slower.
    williamlondonMrBunside
  • Reply 4 of 14
    pichaelpichael Posts: 50member
    peterhart said:
    If you look at the location of the speaker pill cutout, you’d know it is not a 13.
    Good deduction but you seem to be looking at the 6S. The phone to the left appears to have the speaker grill right at the top denoting a 13 series. 
    byronljony0watto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 14
    I knew someone who got a free iPhone because the network he was on was trying to drop support for whatever type of phone he had before and he was one of the last holdouts.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 14
    DAalsethDAalseth Posts: 2,783member
    darkvader said:
    I hear people say that but I honestly can’t see why. You look at it and it unlocks, nothing could be simpler. For me it essentially works well over 90% of the time. It even has a way, a couple of ways actually, of working around masks.
    And his problems would have been easily fixed with a new battery and new Lightning port.  It takes less time to do that than move data to a new phone, AND he'd still have a headphone port, which Apple is too cowardly to put back.
    When I went from my SE to my 11 it took about half an hour. Activate the 11, lay it on top of the SE, walk away, and when I came back everything was transferred and set up. It could not have been simpler and it definitely took less time to do that than drop it off and have the plug and battery changed. That also wouldn’t have helped his other complaint, the old fuzzy screen.
    I'm currently using a 7+ as my daily carry phone.  At least a few times a week I miss the headphone port.  Every time that happens I seriously consider upgrading back to my 6s+ even though it's a bit slower.
    I will agree on the headphone jack. But to be honest it’s been ages since I actually wanted to use to plug anything in.
    edited June 2022 williamlondonfred1StrangeDaysjas99FileMakerFellerjony0watto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 14
    BeatsBeats Posts: 3,073member
    Same can’t be said for iPhoneys. I’m on an iPhone 7 and it’s running as fast as the latest iPhoneys from Samsung (who will drop support in a few months).

The home button comment is probably a joke as he could upgrade to
    iPhone 7
    iPhone 8
    iPhone SE 2
    iPhone SE 3 (2022, literally the latest iPhone)
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 14
    Might as well upgrade now too since 6s is losing ios support with 16. My wife uses a 6s plus (since launch day...still going strong) and I'll be trickling down my 11 pro to her in the fall and get a 14 pro.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 14
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,834member
    darkvader said:
    DAalseth said:

Lots of nonsense, as per usual. 

Lack of legacy analog audio port has been a non-issue in this techie’s life. Good thing you can use the cheap adapter if needed. Do like the improved water gaskets gain which is actually useful in my regular life.

Face ID is quite seamless, zero complaints. 

Sounds like you have a lot of trouble with iPhones and Macs. Have you tried a Dell? Or an Android knockoff? Sound right up your alley…don’t stay unhappy, find your joy!
    edited June 2022 Japheyh4y3smike1jas99FileMakerFellerjony0watto_cobra
  • Reply 10 of 14
    JapheyJaphey Posts: 1,767member
    darkvader said:
    DAalseth said:

Yeah…you HATE FaceID, so he probably will too. And since you’re 1 out of maybe 9 people who still miss that 3.5 jack, Apple must be cowards for prioritizing the other billion that don’t. 

This all makes perfect sense to me. 
    edited June 2022 jas99FileMakerFellerjony0watto_cobra
  • Reply 11 of 14
    JapheyJaphey Posts: 1,767member
    peterhart said:
    Wrong. 
    If you look at the location of the speaker pill (sic) cutout, you’d know it is a 13. Are you looking at the right iPhone, or the left?
    jas99jony0watto_cobra
  • Reply 12 of 14
    jdwjdw Posts: 1,324member
    I still use my iPhone 7 because I don't have grainy pictures or charging problems, and I await an iPhone without a notch.  FaceID in a world of masks is ridiculous, and I still prefer a physical button over silly gestures and swipes.  

I did pay Apple to replace the battery once, but doing so is far cheaper than buying a new iPhone.  Phones aren't cheap, and even the iPhone 7 is a very decent phone, so I honestly don't understand the lack of frugality among the younger generation today.  Use a thing until it either dies or you get too frustrated with the limited functionality to keep using it.  When you do that, you will use a thing for a long time and save a bundle in the process.  

With that said, I do own AAPL stock, so I appreciate you folks very much who don't follow my sage advice!  From that perspective I'm happy to tell you: keep buying them every single year!   :-)
    muthuk_vanalingamFileMakerFeller
  • Reply 13 of 14
    tangeytangey Posts: 31member
    Not to spoil the 2019 hit "Knives Out," but there was a reason Chris Evans character had to have an Android phone"

well, no point in watching that that film now. Funny how you started that sentence with "not to spoil" and by the end you had done exactly that.

edited June 2022 watto_cobra
  • Reply 14 of 14
    jcs2305jcs2305 Posts: 1,336member
    DAalseth said:
    I like it as well.. My only wish is that it didn't require the swipe up after unlock. I have seen seen a couple of the Chinese brand Android phones that just open directly to the home screen after using the face or eyes to open. That would make Face Id perfect IMHO. B)