NFL considering Sunday Ticket bids from Apple, Amazon & Disney

Posted:
in General Discussion
Apple, Amazon, and Disney are currently waiting to find out which of the three has secured the rights to broadcast the NFL Sunday Ticket package.

NFL Sunday Ticket
NFL Sunday Ticket

All three companies each submitted separate bids for the broadcast rights "weeks ago," CNBC has reported. The NFL is currently in talks with all three bidders, and has not yet chosen a streaming partner.

The companies are bidding on the rights to broadcast the out-of-market Sunday Ticket package, as well as on a stake in NFL Media. The package could also include NFL mobile rights, since the league's agreement with Verizon has ended.

Reportedly, the NFL wants the buyer to pay more than $2 billion for the rights.

Apple has reportedly been in the running for the Sunday Ticket package for months. However, the CNBC report Friday counters previous rumors that a deal between Apple and the NFL was already done.

Since Apple TV+ launched, the iPhone has also been interested in expanding its streaming offerings to include sports -- an arena it entered with its Friday Night Baseball endeavor. Back in June, Apple also announced that its Apple TV app would also become the official home of Major League Soccer in 2023.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 11
    22july201322july2013 Posts: 3,573member
    Apple's Friday Night Baseball is available in 9 countries. Will this distribution also apply to the NFL show if Apple wins it? It's worth noting that not all baseball teams are American, which may be why Apple's baseball stream went international, but the same can't be said about the NFL.
    Beats
  • Reply 2 of 11
    geekmeegeekmee Posts: 629member
    The media landscape is about to change, the same as the era of social media has grown beyond the big 3 television networks.
    Beatsbyronl
  • Reply 3 of 11
    mobirdmobird Posts: 753member
    For $2.5B more you could purchase the Denver Broncos...
  • Reply 4 of 11
    mrshowmrshow Posts: 164member
    mobird said:
    Yeah but then you'd own the Broncos. 
    Beats
  • Reply 5 of 11
    mobirdmobird Posts: 753member
    mrshow said:
    mobird said:
    With great pleasure!
  • Reply 6 of 11
    BeatsBeats Posts: 3,073member
    mobird said:
    mrshow said:
    mobird said:
    With great pleasure!

I don’t see why Apple would wanna do that. 
  • Reply 7 of 11
    eightzeroeightzero Posts: 3,069member
    Of the three, isn't Amazon the only one that has offered NFL games on their service? My recollection is that a few games were offered on Amazon Prime. 

I think the Sunday Ticket was a Dish Network (or as the story reports Verizon) exclusive, but it came at a separate subscription cost. Will be sort of interesting to see how the winner adds it to their serive - will it be included in ATV+/Disney+/Amazon Prime packages gratis? Or an add - on, something I don't think any of those services now have.
  • Reply 8 of 11
    BeatsBeats Posts: 3,073member
    eightzero said:
    Of the three, isn't Amazon the only one that has offered NFL games on their service? My recollection is that a few games were offered on Amazon Prime. 

I think the Sunday Ticket was a Dish Network (or as the story reports Verizon) exclusive, but it came at a separate subscription cost. Will be sort of interesting to see how the winner adds it to their serive - will it be included in ATV+/Disney+/Amazon Prime packages gratis? Or an add - on, something I don't think any of those services now have.

I’m 90% sure Apple will include it. Adoption is more important than anything right now. 

Apple needs to move fast while Netflix is seeing their biggest downfall in history. 
  • Reply 9 of 11
    siretmansiretman Posts: 117member
    eightzero said:

NFL Sunday Ticket is on DIRECTV (not Dish Network) which is owned by ATT. I have DIRECTV just because I want NFL Sunday Ticket since 2004. If Apple wins it, there will be changes made. 
  • Reply 10 of 11
    panepane Posts: 2member
    mobird said:
    mrshow said:
    mobird said:
    With great pleasure!
    Hank Scorpio approves

https://youtu.be/xpOY4u8hL_E
  • Reply 11 of 11
    boltsfan17boltsfan17 Posts: 2,294member
    Beats said:
    eightzero said:

I’m 90% sure Apple will include it. Adoption is more important than anything right now. 

Apple needs to move fast while Netflix is seeing their biggest downfall in history. 
    There is no way Sunday Ticket will be included free with an Apple TV plus subscription. Apple bought the MLS streaming rights for the next 10 years and that's going to cost extra.