Apple Watch Series 8's S8 chip may not be a big upgrade from S7

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 29
    bulk001bulk001 Posts: 764member
    I am guessing the “S&” chip mentioned in the first paragraph is so speedy it is good for 2 years. Maybe 3! 
    Beatswilliamlondon
  • Reply 22 of 29
    dewmedewme Posts: 5,372member
    Is speed even an issue for Apple Watch? I have a Series 5 Apple Watch and its speed isn’t even something I think about. On my list of priorities for a smart watch battery life and usefulness of features are at the very top of my list. The speed only has to be good enough to provide a pleasant user interaction experience, and even subjectively older version like the Series 5 more than deliver on this front.

Are technology geeks running benchmarks and overclocking their smart watches?

Would overclocking your watch allow you speed up time and transport yourself into the future? 
    avon b7mike1
  • Reply 23 of 29
    ApplePoorApplePoor Posts: 286member
    My interest has been in the new health monitoring capability that has come with every recent upgrade. The S7 size upgrade  is great as my eyes appreciate being able to see the details.
  • Reply 24 of 29
    sphericspheric Posts: 2,564member
    dewme said:
    Is speed even an issue for Apple Watch? I have a Series 5 Apple Watch and its speed isn’t even something I think about. On my list of priorities for a smart watch battery life and usefulness of features are at the very top of my list. The speed only has to be good enough to provide a pleasant user interaction experience, and even subjectively older version like the Series 5 more than deliver on this front.

Would overclocking your watch allow you speed up time and transport yourself into the future? 
    Transport yourself into the future — is your watch still pleasantly interactive? 

One main reason I replaced my Series 0 was that it had increasingly become sluggish over the years, as functionality was added that it was not initially designed for.
    dewmewilliamlondon
  • Reply 25 of 29
    dewmedewme Posts: 5,372member
    spheric said:
    dewme said:

Transport yourself into the future — is your watch still pleasantly interactive? 

One main reason I replaced my Series 0 was that it had increasingly become sluggish over the years, as functionality was added that it was not initially designed for.
    I went from Series 0 to Series 5 mostly because of new features (cellular capability especially) and diminishing battery life on the original Apple Watch. But sure, all of the features added to Apple Watch from the original to Series 5 did tax the original one, and it definitively wasn’t as pleasant to use as it once was. I guess I could have gotten some dry ice and liquid nitrogen, a Lincoln Electric welder for power, and attempted to overclock the thing into the future. The ergonomics on that setup would be distracting, but man, the benchmarks would rock. 
    sphericelijahg
  • Reply 26 of 29
    BeatsBeats Posts: 3,073member
    Correct me if my memory is wrong, but wasn’t the S7 a negligible update over the S6? And wasn’t the S5 almost the same as the S4? Apple hasn’t exactly made all that much progress with the S-series System-in-Packages for the Apple Watch in quite a while. Not faulting them, as I am almost totally ignorant of this stuff, but … yeah, it’s not a big surprise that the S8 isn’t going to be much of an improvement, but it also is a little disappointing.

The last 2 were nearly identical and S7 was an excuse for an upgrade. When Watch first released people were slightly confused Apple took its time to release the 2nd generation. I figured it could be Apple’s product that will upgrade when the time is right and not rush engineers with a yearly update. So every model was a meaningful release.

Now it seems Apple is heading toward the iPhone model of updating every year. Wouldn’t this cause more stress for the company and smaller updates? I guess money talks though as I’m sure it brings more $$$ faster.
  • Reply 27 of 29
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,881member
    dk49 said:
    How dissappointing. Even 7 uses the same chip as 6. So we will be two generations behind now. Perfect. 
    Er, behind what? Who’s making better watch chips that this is two generations behind? Nobody I know. Another person said behind themselves, but Apple isn’t two generations behind Apple. That sentence doesn’t even make sense. I think what some folks mean is, they expected new processors every year because that’s what they think they wanted. Which is not at all the same thing as what Apple’s roadmap actually is. 
    edited June 2022 williamlondonmuthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 28 of 29
    charlesncharlesn Posts: 841member
    The Apple Watch is the true definition of a commodity product. 
    Yeah, no. Not by anyone's definition. Coffee, sugar, oil... those are commodity products. Apple Watch, not so much.

Apple Watch IS a mature product in the sense that significant development will happen at a fairly slow pace, at least for tech. 
    melgrossdewme
  • Reply 29 of 29
    I really wanted to buy the new Apple Watch Ultra. I had it in my shopping cart and was about to click “purchase” when I discovered that it basically has a 3 year old processor. HARD PASS! 

I’ve been wanting a new Apple Watch for many years now, but Apple keeps pulling stuff like this, tainting the product and making me wait yet another year. Maybe next year.