Apple TV+ sees major gains in customer satisfaction & retention

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV
The Apple TV+ streaming service has sseen significant gains in both customer satisfaction and the likelihood that a user will keep paying for a subscription between 2021 and 2022, new data suggests.

Apple TV+
Apple TV+

According to research by Whip Media, the level of overall customer satisfaction for Apple TV+ jumped from 62% in 2021 to 76% in 2022. The 14 point increase marked the largest jump for any video-on-demand service.

Apple TV+ didn't have the highest rate of customer satisfaction among streaming services, however. The company ranked sixth. HBO Max, Disney+, Hulu, Netflix, and Paramount+ ranked first through fifth, in that order.

Credit: Whip Media

The Apple streaming service also saw a massive jump in the likelihood that customers keep their subscriptions active. In 2021, 54% of customers said they'd keep paying for Apple TV+. The following year, that number jumped to 73%.

Comparatively, Netflix saw the largest decline in customers saying they'll keep paying for service. Between 2021 and 2022, the number of users who plan on paying for a subscription dropped from 93% to 81%.

Apple TV+ also ranked highly in overall catalog quality, particularly when it came to quality of original series. However, research participants seemed to acknowledge that Apple TV+ lacked in quality of movies and the quality of their overall library.

Despite the customer satisfaction, Apple TV+ had the highest rate of churn in 2022. According to the data, 13% of respondents said they canceled Apple TV+, compared to just 6% the year prior. The jump is likely attributable to free trial periods expiring.

Prior data indicated that most Apple TV+ users were on a trial, and Apple has been extending free promotional periods since launch.

The research study surveyed 2,460 U.S. users of the TV Time app -- which lets users track their streaming consumption -- from April 29 to May 4, 2022. Whip Media weighted the results to balance with the U.S. population by gender and age.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 9
    As well they should. The content is fantastic and literally gets better by the day. In 2 years at most they’ll be looking down at the rest. 
    ronnlolliverwatto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 9
    BeatsBeats Posts: 3,073member
    I found it funny when people were comparing Disney to Apple day one. Comparing a century of content vs. a day.

Of course it will get better in time. My biggest complaint would be Apple ignoring iTunes which is the best store for movies and shows. It’s a differentiator that Netflix, Disney, HBO, no one has and all their content is there. (Amazon has a digital store no one uses. Forgot about that one.)
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 9
    aderutteraderutter Posts: 604member
    Apple’s bundles are quite sticky, no way I’ll be unsubscribing - their shows are the highest quality and the bundle with Apple Music makes it a no-brainer compared to Netflix or Disney. Quality is what matters most for me for TV and the family bundle effectively makes ATV free for us. 
    ronnlolliverBeatswatto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 9
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,384member
    I’ve been blown away by how quickly Apple TV+ original content has been added and how fast the library has grown. 
    ronnlolliverBeatswatto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 9
    lolliverlolliver Posts: 494member
    slurpy said:
    I’ve been blown away by how quickly Apple TV+ original content has been added and how fast the library has grown. 
    I totally agree. Especially with the quality of that content. While some services like Netflix have pumped out a lot of low quality originals (mixed in with the odd decent show) to increase their library, Apple has been able to increase their catalogue substantially while still producing very high quality shows.   
    Beatswatto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 9
    entropysentropys Posts: 4,166member
    Oh come on, it is still behind nearly all the rest. 
    talk about positive spin. ignoring the headline, tucked away in the article detail:
    The company ranked sixth. HBO Max, Disney+, Hulu, Netflix, and Paramount+ ranked first through fifth, in that order.
    Yes satisfaction has jumped, but is still thrashed badly by most of the others including Netflix. Netflix!,
    I am surprised it skipped past Prime as well TBH. How did Foundation beat The Expanse? Amazon in the end will just have to consolidate Paramount+ and Prime. Consolidation or buyout is the future of any studio streamer, with the special exception of ATV+.

Let's face it, ATV+ satisfaction can only grow from a very low bar, and what content there is is good, but there is still very little content to justify monthly payments and it is most likely subscription bundling keeping numbers. It will take years and years of building content without catalogue purchase to reach the top.

edited June 2022
  • Reply 7 of 9
    fallenjtfallenjt Posts: 4,054member
    Worth every penny. From See to Tehran and then Defending Jacob. Great shows.
    Beatswatto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 9
    chasmchasm Posts: 3,294member
    Everyone’s tastes are different, but Apple TV+ is growing its audience in the usual Apple way, I.e. the long game.

Some people here apparently don’t quite “get it” and think all these services are in a race to be the next Netflix.

Apple TV+ has about as much interest in being everything to everybody as PBS has in being CBS.

Apple wants TV+ to be a diverse but high-quality, somewhat highbrow (but not “Met Opera on Demand” highbrow) affordable premium service. The value of their present catalog compared to the price is fantastic — even the shows that aren’t to my tastes look great and are clearly very well-made.

I can think of at least 20 shows and movies I’ve really enjoyed on the service recently, for less than the cost of one Starbucks drink per month. Only Britbox is giving me more bang for my TV buck right now, but to be fair HBO Max looks great too — but I haven’t signed up for that because it is nearly four times the cost.

I’d say Apple TV+ is going almost exactly according to the original plan. It’s never going to “beat” Prime/Netflix/Disney/HBO, because it’s not trying to, in the same way that the iPhone is never going to outsell the combined Android market.

jroyaderutterwatto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 9
    BeatsBeats Posts: 3,073member
    Slightly off topic but I believe Apple needs just one more service to make the Apple One bundle enticing to the average consumer.

Something innovative would help. One idea I can think of is Stocks+ with trading and advice.

someone mentioned a free rental every month which is great as it would remind people that iTunes, the biggest digital store in the world exists.