CarPlay's forthcoming fuel app will let drivers buy gas from the car

Posted:
in iOS
Initially believed to be a guide for drivers to gas stations, future CarPlay apps will be able to pay for fuel right from the dash -- and they may arrive as soon as the launch of iOS 16.

Apple's sneak peek at the future of CarPlay included the news that it was adding two new categories of apps. Specifically, fuel apps and what the company called driving task ones.

Fuelling ones are tied to Apple Maps and provide an extended version of the current ability to find nearby gas stations. In this version of CarPlay, not expected in cars until late 2023, the app would include filtering gas stations by price.

According to Reuters, however, the CarPlay fuel app will go further. It will enable drivers to pay for their fuel right from the car's dashboard.

Apple has not announced this, but Reuters reports that the Dallas-based HF Sinclair gasoline firm says it will be using the feature.

"We are excited by the idea that consumers could navigate to a Sinclair station and purchase fuel from their vehicle navigation screen," Jack Barger, HF Sinclair's senior vice president of marketing said.

Although Apple said that a new whole-dashboard CarPlay experience would be coming to cars first toward the end of 2023, Thursday's report says that the fuel purchasing ability may be coming sooner. It suggests that fuel buying may be part of iOS 16, coming later this year.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    byronlbyronl Posts: 363member
    that’s cool but it should also support paying for charging for EVs
    Beatswatto_cobraAlex1N
  • Reply 2 of 8
    BeatsBeats Posts: 3,073member
    byronl said:
    that’s cool but it should also support paying for charging for EVs
    Apple getting in on the gas game here. 
  • Reply 3 of 8
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,095member
    ApplePay has given me peace of mind with not passing my credit card around, including at gas pumps.  This is the logical next step. I support this.
    StrangeDayslolliverwatto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 8
    jdgazjdgaz Posts: 404member
    If I didn’t have to get out of the car to open the gas cap, select fuel type, and insert the filler hose in the tank inlet this feature to pay from inside the car might be helpful. 
    Japheymaltzbeowulfschmidt
  • Reply 5 of 8
    amar99amar99 Posts: 181member
    Where are the promos for "say no to gasoline / fossil fuels" as they do with "other aspects of conventional society"?

Don't tell me Apple is seeking to profit from a gas powered vehicle while also decrying "global warming", including its many euphemistic equivalents...

edited June 2022 beowulfschmidt
  • Reply 6 of 8
    coolfactorcoolfactor Posts: 2,243member
    We use the Shell app to pay for gas at the pump before exiting the vehicle. It works extremely well, and we get all gas receipts by email, which is a nice touch.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 8
    coolfactorcoolfactor Posts: 2,243member
    amar99 said:
    Where are the promos for "say no to gasoline / fossil fuels" as they do with "other aspects of conventional society"?

Don't tell me Apple is seeking to profit from a gas powered vehicle while also decrying "global warming", including its many euphemistic equivalents...

Research and development is not black-and-white. They are not "motivated to profit from fossil fuels", but looking how to improve the customer experience, and this same payment process would carry over to other energy sources, such as electric "pumps".
    watto_cobraAlex1N
  • Reply 8 of 8
    I can with BP and my daughter does with Shell already here in the UK.
    watto_cobra