how long till we get a bootable X CD like os 9

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
hi, i was curious and its been on my mind how long we will have till os X cd's have a bootable well os X on them. one of the things thats nice about os 9 cd's that saved my important files many a times is being able to boot into it off the CD and use the finder and such. but so far for X it just goes right into set up. so i wonder if apple will ever impliment that into the X cd's.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    ibrowseibrowse Posts: 1,749member
    I don't know as if they will, but I know that there are a couple apps that will make a bootable OS X cd for you with only a Users folder and a few of the core application that you would need. Check VersionTracker.com, I know there's at least one there.
  • Reply 2 of 7
    ast3r3xast3r3x Posts: 5,012member
    i wouldn't hold ur breath for a CD...i'd think more DVD

and i think it gets difficult with the different privledges...i'm not really sure why you'd need to start up off a CD unless it was a utilities disk
  • Reply 3 of 7
    If you messed with themes or customizing your login panel or something, and you broke something real good (to the point where OS X won't start) it'd be nice to be able to boot into OS X and replace the file, since OS 9 might not be able to get into the folder. If your system won't boot, but you could fix it if you only had access to your hard drive and the files on it, this would be ideal. Especially since the new machines won't boot into OS 9.
  • Reply 4 of 7
    millhouse, you may want to check this out.

http://versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/macosx/15196
  • Reply 5 of 7
    from reading the description that looks awsome. cuz thats exactly what can save stuff in times. having a finder to work with if you broke something can save your life, i woulda lost loads of files i needed had i not had the os 9 CD, luckily i got a machine (blue and white) that still boots into os 9 but i guess this was more out of concern for those who have a machine that cant boot 9 but need to save files somewhere else, on another disk or somethin.
  • Reply 6 of 7
    serranoserrano Posts: 1,806member
    My X was KPing on boot, right after chime, I had to archive install to repair. A bootable X would have come in handy, I could've backed up to my server and clean installed like I'd wanted, and like I'll have to do now.
  • Reply 7 of 7
    messiahmessiah Posts: 1,689member
    This fortnight's UK MacUser has an article on how to create a bootable DVD.

The article says you install Mac OS X onto a clean hard disk, configure it exactly the way you want it, use Disk Copy to create a disk image of that hard disk, and then burn this disk image to a DVD.

I tried it, and it didn't even create the disk image properly (reported an internal error). I'm not sure if you have to boot from the hard disk that you've just installed, or boot from another installation - the article isn't clear...

It would be interesting to find out if it were really that easy!