Rumored Apple Watch Pro could cost $900

Comments

• Reply 21 of 55
    BeatsBeats Posts: 3,073member
    Bring back the $10k Edition. Only poor people were complaining.

I WISH I would have bought an original gold Edition Watch. Imagine how much it’s gonna be worth in 5 years?

And if you’re complaining about a $900 Watch then you must not know about Rolex or other watches that can easily cost $20K that do absolutely nothing!!

Apple Watch will literally save your life and alert you of life threatening diagnoses. Try that with a $50k Rolex!!
  • Reply 22 of 55
    mikeincamikeinca Posts: 20member
    Remember when the original gold Apple Watch was $10,000!  I knew a guy who had one lol. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 23 of 55
    mpantonempantone Posts: 2,040member
    Beats said:
    Apple Watch will literally save your life and alert you of life threatening diagnoses. Try that with a $50k Rolex!!
    You can wear both at the same time if you want. Or switch watches based on your whims.
    edited July 2022 watto_cobra
  • Reply 24 of 55
    dewmedewme Posts: 5,368member
    Xed said:
    Apple has a strange understanding of “professionals”, apparently.
    I think you aren't understanding what a marketing term is for and how it's used. While the Pro moniker may have originally stood for professional that isn't what it has to mean now. Remember the S branding on the iPhone 3GS? That originally stood for speed, according to Apple, but then in 2 years they gave it a different meaning, and then another different meaning.

Even if you have to pick a positive meaning that begins with pro, there's the definition of in favor of or advantage that fits nicely without even looking words that use pro- as prefix.
    So what you're saying is that "Pro" is not analogous to the "pro" as in "professional" wrestling? Really?

All kidding aside, as you say it's just a moniker (or badge) to differentiate the higher tier models from the standard tier models. I'm thinking along the lines of what BMW does with its M-series, Audi does with its S-series, and Mercedes does with its AMG line. Those brands seem to pull off the premium badging thing quite well. They have a decent track record and history behind the use of these badges. They are constantly adding to the badged product lineage but not necessarily at the same release cadence as the "standard" badged versions of the same products. These auto makers are also very selective about which products are worthy of their premium badge.  

One could argue that the MacBook (Pro), iPad (Pro), and iPhone (Pro) product lines kind-of adhere to a premium badging through the use of the "Pro" badge. The iPad and iPhone product lines are definitely closer to what BMW, Audi, and Mercedes are doing. The MacBook (Pro) is not as close because there is no non-Pro version. There is the Air badge on iPad and Mac, but its meaning seems to be a moving target. In the iPad product line the Air is bookended by a standard version and a Pro version. But where's the iPhone Air, or the iPad SE?

All of these inconsistencies can be seen as unforced errors by Apple, or at the very least evidence that Apple is just kind of winging it. One could also argue that Apple should not care whether it follows anything any other premium tier product maker is doing or has ever done. Maybe Apple's customers don't really care one way or the other, they'll just buy whatever Apple makes that they can afford. After all, computers and automobiles are vastly different products.

I personally think Apple could see a nice little incremental bump-up in average selling price by doing some things a little better with their premium badging lines, especially on the higher tier versions. They do need to be more consistent and more selective. The first time they roll out a "Pro" product that doesn't live up to its Pro badge, it dilutes the premium association just a little bit. On the other hand they don't want to overdo it like all those meaningless LE, LX, SE, etc., badges that just about every pedestrian level automobile seems to carry. At some point in over-badging nobody really cares.

I'm not really sure about the tweener badges like the "Air" and "SE." Apple could possibly manage to normalize these badges across the different product lines. If they did it consistently with clear meaning it may open up some products to other customers and streamline their portfolio, for example, define a Mac Studio SE instead of the Mac mini. 

If Apple really focuses on what it means to wear the "Pro" badge they should not feel pressured to release a "Pro" version every time a new non-Pro version of a product is released. Only release the "Pro" version when it really is a "Pro" version of the product in question. The iMac Pro seemed to adhere to this model, but it's hard to tell for sure because they only had one iMac Pro release before it went "poof and was gone forever." 

watto_cobra
  • Reply 25 of 55
    Some people (on the planet -- not just here at AppleInsider) don't understand that words can have multiple meanings.

This appears to be the case here. The "Pro" moniker doesn't have one specific officially mandated definition.

A certain number of people can't grasp that basic concept. This level of language awareness is acquired in grade school. If an adult can't accept that words can mean different things to different people in different contexts and situations, that person really is going to have a tough time going through life interacting with others.

Pity them.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 26 of 55
    chasmchasm Posts: 3,303member
    I would caution people reading this article to remember that this comes from Mark Gurman, who does not have a stellar track record on predictions. He's at his best when he is parroting something Ming-Chi Kuo "clarified" a week or two earlier, and at his worst when he's making up his own predictions. For comparison, he got 1.5 out of four predictions right about WWDC, and one of them was bloody obvious ("the Health app will get [unspecified] additional capabilities" -- yeah duh, that happens every year).

That said, a ruggedised Apple Watch probably would command a premium price compared to the regular Series 8 or SE, because ruggedised is something the extreme fitness crowd will want and can pay for (especially compared to the cost of replacing a non-ruggedised Watch that gets lost/destroyed), and it makes sense in Apple's lineup. I would imagine that the AppleCare for the ruggedised Watch would be more expensive as well, but also cover more types of damage or outright replacement.

I think the odds of this being called the "Apple Watch Pro" are low, but as many of us have understood for a long time, "Pro" in Apple language has always meant "extra power and extra features for extra money, which professionals want because the price means next to nothing to them compared to how much they can earn with that device." To me, this would be one of the rare instances where Apple should consider the term "Apple Watch Extreme" or "Fitness/Sports Edition" rather than "Pro."

hmlongcoStrangeDayswatto_cobra
  • Reply 27 of 55
    chasm said:
    I would caution people reading this article to remember that this comes from Mark Gurman, who does not have a stellar track record on predictions. He's at his best when he is parroting something Ming-Chi Kuo "clarified" a week or two earlier, and at his worst when he's making up his own predictions. For comparison, he got 1.5 out of four predictions right about WWDC, and one of them was bloody obvious ("the Health app will get [unspecified] additional capabilities" -- yeah duh, that happens every year).
    I've been on this site long enough to have seen countless forum participants unable to grasp the basic concept that most rumors posted here (or really any tech site) don't end up being true.

But a lot of people lack the ability to judge the plausibility of any given "theory."

For years rumors from Digitimes became a running joke because of their abysmally poor track record. At some point in the recent past AI started mentioning Digitimes' well-earned reputation for inaccuracy.

I really wish AI kept score of analyst predictions, sort of like the Starmine rating. Some analysts are actually so poor that if they say something will happen, it's FAR more likely that it won't happen. But that's why they're called ANALysts because they're full of "it", right?

That level of poor performance really reflects poorly on tech media sites that regurgitate these analysts' faulty prognostications but what can you do when these sites worship at the Altar of the Almighty Pageview?

But yeah, whenever I see one of these rumor articles, I scan through it to see who is making the prediction. Gurman's pretty bad but not as bad as Digitimes. But that's like saying that a .185 batter is better than a .170 batter.
    edited July 2022 StrangeDayswatto_cobra
  • Reply 28 of 55
    radarthekatradarthekat Posts: 3,842moderator
    Beats said:
    Bring back the $10k Edition. Only poor people were complaining.

I WISH I would have bought an original gold Edition Watch. Imagine how much it’s gonna be worth in 5 years?

And if you’re complaining about a $900 Watch then you must not know about Rolex or other watches that can easily cost $20K that do absolutely nothing!!

Exactly.  I also find it interesting that those who suggest the Rolex will be passed along to grandchildren as an defense of its far higher price don't lay out for us the cost of paying that $10k or $50k in today's dollars.  The $9100 extra for even a $10k Rolex versus a $900 Apple Watch can become a very large number indeed when considering the opportunity cost of not investing that amount instead in, say, TSLA or AAPL.  Even counting the additional cost of replacing the Apple Watch every few years (minus the resale value you get back selling or trading in each one), you're still going to end up far better off financially taking the Apple Watch road.  

Now the response I'll expect to this comment is that those who buy the railed aren't price sensitive, nor are they concerned about the pittance of losing the opportunity cost of the $9100 price difference.  Before making that argument I'd have them ask themselves why they are even giving any thought to the cost of a $900 Apple Watch?  
    BeatsStrangeDayswatto_cobra
  • Reply 29 of 55
    userblahuserblah Posts: 20member
    Apple has a strange understanding of “professionals”, apparently. I’m missing the white ceramic option despite the price, still love my AW 5 edition but it’s not even possible to get a white edition sport band as replacement any longer …discontinued was the short answer after 1,5 hours in phone calls with Apple support.  :/
    I’m not sure if you’re talking about the solo band but the white solo band was recently brought back. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 30 of 55
    BeatsBeats Posts: 3,073member
    mikeinca said:
    Remember when the original gold Apple Watch was $10,000!  I knew a guy who had one lol. 

And he’ll get the last laugh. Imagine what it will be worth. 
  • Reply 31 of 55
    CheeseFreezeCheeseFreeze Posts: 1,249member
    What a ridiculous product proposition. When “Pro” starts to become “more expensive”… 

Why not offer a rugged version for the same price with the same internals? It’s just a different target audience; one that is prepared to swap a luxury feel for a more sporty/rugged one… it doesn’t warrant extra cost. 
  • Reply 32 of 55
    What a ridiculous product proposition. When “Pro” starts to become “more expensive”… 

Why not offer a rugged version for the same price with the same internals? It’s just a different target audience; one that is prepared to swap a luxury feel for a more sporty/rugged one… it doesn’t warrant extra cost. 
    There was an Apple Watch Sport model (aluminum case). Apple ditched it after the first year. The stainless steel case of the regular Apple Watch is actually more durable.

The more durable case materials (titanium and ceramic) are more expensive to manufacture and we all know how much Apple and their shareholders love fat gross margins.

So a cheaper more durable Apple Watch model isn't happening.

As for when Apple started using "Pro" for "more expensive" their marketing department has been using the term that way for decades.

Stainless steel is a very good choice as a material for situations that require durability. My $180 automatic Seiko Divers Watch is stainless steel and can withstand 200m of pressure. Stainless steel is also used in the Rolex Submariner and Omega Seamaster dive watches that cost >30x my Seiko.
    edited July 2022 CheeseFreezewatto_cobra
  • Reply 33 of 55
    9secondkox29secondkox2 Posts: 2,717member
    Unless it can monitor blood pressure, I don’t see anyone paying that much for a wearable. At least not in any appreciable numbers. 
  • Reply 34 of 55
    9secondkox29secondkox2 Posts: 2,717member
    Xed said:
    I think you aren't understanding what a marketing term is for and how it's used. While the Pro moniker may have originally stood for professional that isn't what it has to mean now. Remember the S branding on the iPhone 3GS? That originally stood for speed, according to Apple, but then in 2 years they gave it a different meaning, and then another different meaning.

Even if you have to pick a positive meaning that begins with pro, there's the definition of in favor of or advantage that fits nicely without even looking words that use pro- as prefix.
    Hee understanding what marketing is. 

It’s just that Apples marketing terms used to make sense. 

A laptop for professional use - I.e. something that provides the mission critical horsepower power needed to make money on a consistent and time sensitive basis. 

A Pro desktop for the same reason. 

A pro tablet for the same reason once again. 

Even though a consumer level computer could be used to make money, most professionals realize that you get what you invest and it’s better to invest in the right tools for the job. 

A Pro series phone is stretching things, though there are niche use cases and situations. 

A Pro series watch is pretty dumb. 

On another note, if they actually add the “pro” moniker, then you know the “max” is coming: 

edited July 2022 Beats
  • Reply 35 of 55
    XedXed Posts: 2,559member
    Xed said:

Hee understanding what marketing is. 

It’s just that Apples marketing terms used to make sense. 

A laptop for professional use - I.e. something that provides the mission critical horsepower power needed to make money on a consistent and time sensitive basis. 

A Pro desktop for the same reason. 

A pro tablet for the same reason once again. 

Even though a consumer level computer could be used to make money, most professionals realize that you get what you invest and it’s better to invest in the right tools for the job. 

A Pro series phone is stretching things, though there are niche use cases and situations. 

A Pro series watch is pretty dumb. 

On another note, if they actually add the “pro” moniker, then you know the “max” is coming: 

And the iPhone 13 Pro is for people using it for "mission critical horsepower power needed to make money on a consistent and time sensitive basis"?

I know people who still have flip phones that use it constantly for their work and I know people without jobs that use their iPhone 13 Pro Max for personal use. I'm not here to change your mind, but assuming the Pro branding is to cater to some specific notion you have about "professionals" in your head is going to lead you to a lot of disappointment. Simply put, it's consistent marketing that works. Period.
  • Reply 36 of 55
    wonkothesanewonkothesane Posts: 1,724member
    Beats said:
    mikeinca said:

Why do you think it will gain value over time? 
    Wasn’t it recently declared obsolete by Apple and therefore would not even be serviced in case of damage or battery replacement need? So, chances are eventually you end up with a brick worth its raw materials. Which is not true for certain mechanical watches. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 37 of 55
    XedXed Posts: 2,559member
    Beats said:
    mikeinca said:

Why do you think it will gain value over time? 
    Wasn’t it recently declared obsolete by Apple and therefore would not even be serviced in case of damage or battery replacement need? So, chances are eventually you end up with a brick worth its raw materials. Which is not true for certain mechanical watches. 
    I'm not going to predict that some iteration of an Apple Watch will go up in value, but it's folly to assume that because Apple declares a product obsolete that it can't go up in value. It seems that every month that AI posts an article about some antiquated Apple product is being sold at auction for considerably more than it was originally.

This is Seiko, not Apple, but it could communicate via an RS-232C port via LocalTalk with Macs running System 6...

https://appleinsider.com/articles/21/11/21/rare-1988-apple-watch-wristmac-going-up-for-auction
  • Reply 38 of 55
    michelb76michelb76 Posts: 620member
    Xed said:

Rumored wearable Apple Watch Pro could cost $900

Redundancy is redundant. I think Apple Watch sufficiently implies that it's wearable.
    Maybe this could have been the 'pocketwatch on a chain' edition? :)
  • Reply 39 of 55
    sdbryansdbryan Posts: 351member
    Beats said:
    mikeinca said:

After so many years is there any possibility that the battery is not stone cold dead? At that point the display won’t even light up. Even if you get someone who might be able to take it apart, install a new battery, and successfully reassemble, the software in it will be hopelessly out of date and unable to update to anything worthwhile. I like my Apple watch but I have no illusion about its dispoable nature. I would give about $10 for that lump of non functional historical wearable computer device. I would pay much more for whatever current functioning wearable device Apple might actually support. I know there is a market for nonfunctional historical devices (like the original Apple I) but I have a strong attraction to things that, at least currently, provide cutting edge capabilities.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 40 of 55
    s.metcalfs.metcalf Posts: 972member
    mpantone said:

I've been an Apple customer for decades and as far as I can tell "professional" is a marketing moniker that mostly means "more expensive."

It's usually accompanied by slightly better performance. Is that enough to merit the "professional" branding?

It is for Apple. And perhaps more importantly their overall customer base has accepted Apple's usage of the term.
    It’s not like they have a choice.  Yes, for Apple “Pro” simply means better, which by extension is also more expensive.  If you want to better version, get the “Pro” model.  I got an iPad Pro for my elderly disabled mother and she’s hardly a  “Pro”.  The quality of life improvements made it worth it in my opinion.
    StrangeDayswatto_cobra