flash 5 in OSX

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
Now that the new powerbooks are all OSX and not able to run OS9 - Will Flash 5 work in the classic envirement...

I know you may think - why use flash 5 - well there are some features that I like to use in it....

Any help would be most welcome

Thanks

Jools

Comments

• Reply 1 of 12
    newnew Posts: 3,244member
    I don't see why not.
  • Reply 2 of 12
    thanks for your reply - Now will I be able to install Flash 5 into my OSX only 17ich powerbook and run it in classic envirement??

In otherwords in NON OS9 Apples - can you still install OS9 software to run in Classic

And if so - how???

Thanks

Jools
  • Reply 3 of 12
    P.S. I want to use Flash 5 as there are some functions that Flash 6 cant do - believe it or not!...
  • Reply 4 of 12
    Quote:

Originally posted by kittylitterdesign

P.S. I want to use Flash 5 as there are some functions that Flash 6 cant do - believe it or not!...

Since I do Flash development, I am curious as to what features MX is missing.
  • Reply 5 of 12
    leonisleonis Posts: 3,427member
    Flash 5's screen redraw under classic is absolutely HORRIBLE
  • Reply 6 of 12
    flash 5, unlike flash 6, enables you to import a series of PICT files...a format not recognised by MX...

MX states do you want to inport via Quicktime...sure it works - but it asks for each picture brought in that way - so an image sequene of 200 say will take hours - whereas in Flash 5 it imports them and says "This appears to be a sequence of pics, do you want them all brought in" - hit yes and instantly you have all pict's automatically placed into a sequence on the time line

Trust me - MX is buggy for this - The import functions of 5 are better than MX purely due to it brings them all in once you say yes to "it appears to be a sequence of pics" - Yet in Flash MX you have to say yes to "do you want to import via quicktime" for every pic.... It can take hours to do a job that Flash 5 does in seconds....

It is a well documented bug in Flash MX and I am suprised you dont know about it - And please dont start asking why would you want to import a series of 200 PICT files etc into Flash

Take a look at http://www.hedgeapple.co.uk/banners/xbox/

This was done in Flash 5 - in MX it would have taken weeks longer due to teh import export and reimporting of pics into flash 5

This was microsofts most successful banner advert of last year - the highest click through rate of any Microsoft banner - and yes I built it!

Jools
  • Reply 7 of 12
    Thanks for the info. (Very cool work btw)
  • Reply 8 of 12
    hobbeshobbes Posts: 1,252member
    Nice work.

This is a problem in Director MX too -- Macromedia has apparently dropped support for importing 8-bit PICT images, and it's forced me to use Director 8.x in Classic for a number of projects at work -- not fun.

If anyone has any information why exactly Macromedia decided to do this, or if there are any workarounds, I'd love to hear about it.
  • Reply 9 of 12
    i cant work it out why Macromedia would make this side of Flash MX worse than with Flash 5 - it is astionishing stupid of them...I wish I knew a way - but until then I shall have to keep using flash 5 over MX for PICT import sequences...

SO have you any info that I can install Flash 5 on a Non OS9 machine and open it in classic - where does it install it as normally it would want to install in Appliocations OS9 - now where will it go?

Jools
  • Reply 10 of 12
    foadfoad Posts: 717member
    I am not sure where the install goes. It might just be the regular OS X applications directory. One thing I do know is that when you go to launch your installer, it will know that it is a OS 9(classsic) installer and it should start up Classic if it isn't already running. From there you would just go about your installation as you normally would.
  • Reply 11 of 12
    well, as far as Flash MX goes: for me, importing sequences of images works like a charm. Imported way over 200 images like that and it... 'just works' (TM).

When you mention that MX asks you wether you want to import the pics over QuickTime: you're right, then you do need to click 'ok' for each images, and that takes hours... but... that means that your not using one of the image formats that MX recognizes (.gif, .jpg, .png,...). I ran into the same issue when starting to use MX and I was used to make .pct's for uncompressed images. MX lost the ability to 'directly' import that (now only over quicktime). But if you use .png's as a sequence of uncompressed images (instead of .pct's), it still works like a charm...

so then: use MX (which is waaaayyy better and more stable) instead of F5, and work X-native (which is also way better and more stable)

everybody happy?
  • Reply 12 of 12
    frawgzfrawgz Posts: 547member
    Quote:

Originally posted by kittylitterdesign

i cant work it out why Macromedia would make this side of Flash MX worse than with Flash 5 - it is astionishing stupid of them...I wish I knew a way - but until then I shall have to keep using flash 5 over MX for PICT import sequences...

SO have you any info that I can install Flash 5 on a Non OS9 machine and open it in classic - where does it install it as normally it would want to install in Appliocations OS9 - now where will it go?

Assuming Flash 5 is a well behaved application, there's no reason why it shouldn't install fine through the Classic environment in OS X. I'm not sure where it would install either. In any case, it doesn't really matter. If it installs anywhere other than Applications (OS 9), all you have to do is move it there if that's where you want it to live.

P.S. Why not just use another application first to batch convert all your PICTs to a format that MX likes, like crooked spoon suggests?