Compared: New M2 MacBook Air vs M1 MacBook Air

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 49
    charlesncharlesn Posts: 833member
    I just want to take a moment to lament the passing of the tapered thickness (thinness) that has, until now, always been associated with the MacBook Air name.

I can't argue with Apple's decision to reimagine the M2 MacBook Air as a uniform 0.44-inch thin design, especially given that they shaved a full 20% from its volume as compared to the M1 MacBook Air. But I will still miss the wedge-shaped design of all previous-generation Airs, which became absolutely iconic and influenced the shape of thin-and-light notebooks throughout the industry for well over a decade. Apple didn't invent the wedge shape for notebooks, but they perfected it with the Intel- and M1-based Airs. The design certainly earned a revered place in computing history.

I'll tell ya what, though: Speaking of iconic designs, I would be willing to pay a (slight) penalty in thinness if it meant we could still have a glowing Apple logo.
    Ummm.... why the funeral for a still current and in-production model Air? Who knows if Apple plans to drop it? Apple may not even know that answer yet until they see if demand continues for the iconic wedge shape. If sales justify it, "the wedge" may remain as Apple's entry level laptop, always a generation behind the chip in the new Air but a couple hundred cheaper in price.
  • Reply 42 of 49
    austincaustinc Posts: 8member
    no comments on the SSD being half the performance of the M1, that midnight blue is supposedly a fingerprint magnet. I was looking forward to upgrading from my M1, but put off by the SSD performance, and once you add the cost for 16Gb and plus 512Gb (only to keep SSD performance ok) it's an expensive buy. 
    beowulfschmidt
  • Reply 43 of 49
    charlesncharlesn Posts: 833member
    Here's a small but nice new feature that's flying under the radar: charging is also supported by the Thunderbolt ports. Forget to pack your MagSafe cable? That was previously a disaster to discover, especially on a long trip... not any more. Or, just don't pack it, period, if you don't really need it and minimize your cables to USB-C. 
  • Reply 44 of 49
    mpantonempantone Posts: 2,040member
    To no (sane) one's surprise, the M2 MacBook Air thermal throttles on sustained workloads:

https://wccftech.com/m2-macbook-air-throttling-problem-under-sustained-workload/

compared to the M2 MacBook Pro 13" with a performance loss of 25%.

The M2 MacBook Air apparently thermal throttles a little less than its M1 predecessor.

Source: TheVerge via Wccftech
    edited July 2022
  • Reply 45 of 49
    bulk001bulk001 Posts: 764member
    I have Teams on a 2016 MBP and it runs just fine. I highly doubt that the M2 MBA couldn’t handle it.
  • Reply 46 of 49
    I have a mackbook air M1 for working purposes. For office, and online work it’s fantastic but as soon as you use MS teams for a meeting, sharing a screen and video conferencing, the cpu get’s too hot. And because there is no fan inside MacOS makes the cpu’s work slower to avoid heat problems. And then the machine will get very slow. Therefore I would always buy the 13” mackbook pro to avoid this problem.
    You use a Mac but are forced by work to use truly crappy Microsoft products, the worst products in existence?

I share screens on Zoom and use Zoom all the time on an MBP. I use Camtasia to record Zoom video interviews all the time. Never get a slow down. 

Boycott TeaMS. Stop using the worst software in the world and you'll be a much happier camper. 
  • Reply 47 of 49
    DAalsethDAalseth Posts: 2,783member
    colt033 said:
    hattig said:
    I have a mackbook air M1 for working purposes. For office, and online work it’s fantastic but as soon as you use MS teams for a meeting, sharing a screen and video conferencing, the cpu get’s too hot. And because there is no fan inside MacOS makes the cpu’s work slower to avoid heat problems. And then the machine will get very slow. Therefore I would always buy the 13” mackbook pro to avoid this problem.
    MS Teams does that on 16 core behemoth desktop systems - it's not the system, it's the appalling software from MS.
    Is it really that bad using Teams? I planned to buy the M2 Air as soon as it is released, but the price increase (in Europe anyway) means it's gone from a bargain to a premium product. Suddenly the old Air or a Windows machine seems like a better option for me.
    From my experience: it’s terrible. For example,
    I’m frequently experiencing problems with icon statuses that supposed to show wether a colleague is online to not. Also, sometimes my own status doesn’t show anymore. Other MS apps like outlook, after a while, just stop collecting mail. After a few updates it starts working again but in the meantime I’m constantly switching between desktop and online versions of the app. You can use MS teams in the browser but the video resolution isn’t that good. I’m thinking it is because of the M1 chip, because on the intel macs I didn’t experiencing these problems at all. 
    I have run into every one of the problems you just listed. Except I’m running a remote Win10 desktop on a server. It’s crap MS software. In my previous job I saw all of those on a freestanding Win10 desktop machine too. 
  • Reply 48 of 49
    sconosciuto said: Perhaps so, but I sincerely doubt I'd want to be cutting on this entry-level model day-in and day-out... anyone out there have experience editing with the previous model?
    I have been running my video editing business off my M1 Air (with 16GB memory and 1tb hard disk) for a year now, making films for the local TV broadcaster. Although we deliver in HD, I have been cutting in 4k using high quality previews in Final Cut. I haven't had to use proxy media or anything. Before this I had a Macbook Pro 15" which I considered a good computer. This one is amazing. I keep it on a raised stand and open while I use it to keep it cool, and I have performed a slight thermal modification to connect the heat sink with the outside case (as you can see done in plenty of Youtube videos). It hardly gets hot, though. Honestly, it is the most powerful computer I have ever owned, and also the most compact. I bring it with me on trips all the time, it's so tiny, and when I arrive home I connect it to a Thunderbolt dock to my 27" 4k monitor, RAID disk system, and Ethernet. 

It has been a real workhorse so far, and the lightness and lack of fans makes it a pleasure to use anywhere. The only thing I kind of miss on trips is the big screen, but that's easily fixed by adding my iPad as a second monitor.
  • Reply 49 of 49
    I miss the better designs of Jony Ive.  One of the main reasons I have stuck with my 2020 MBP (same for the Air).  The notch also is a bad idea.