Apple adds new 'Leaving Soon' section to Apple Arcade, starting with 15 titles

Posted:
in General Discussion
Apple Arcade now has a new "Leaving Arcade Soon" tab listing titles that will be removed from the service -- starting with 15 games.

Apple Arcade
Apple Arcade

The tab, which was first spotted by TouchArcade, is located at the bottom of the Arcade tab in the App Store.

TouchArcade notes that this isn't the first time that the company has pulled games from Apple Arcade, but it is the first time that it has advertised it. The section does not list when exactly the games will be removed.

A full list of games leaving Apple Arcade is available below.

• Atone: Heart of the Elder Tree

• BattleSky Brigade: Harpooner

• Cardpocalypse

• Dead End Job

• Don't Bug Me!

• Dread Nautical

• EarthNight

• Explottens

• Lifeslide

• Over the Alps

• Projection: First Light

• Spelldrifter

• Spidersaurs

• Towaga: Among Shadows

• Various Daylife

At first, it wasn't clear why the titles were being removed. However, a source that spoke with MacRumors indicated that it's a result of contracts with developers expiring. Apple has reportedly chose not to renew these specific contracts.

The publication adds that developers are free to add the games back to the App Store -- they just won't be part of the Apple Arcade service.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 15
    entropysentropys Posts: 4,166member
    I am surprised there enough Apple Arcade users to notice.
    DAalsethneoncatdarkvader
  • Reply 2 of 15
    Apple should use this opportunity to add in the ‘Shutting Down Soon’ banner. At least they’ll be able to leverage this effort for that future date later next year.
    neoncatdarkvader
  • Reply 3 of 15
    Fidonet127Fidonet127 Posts: 507member
    Apple should use this opportunity to add in the ‘Shutting Down Soon’ banner. At least they’ll be able to leverage this effort for that future date later next year.
    These are fifteen games of what over a hundred games? I didn’t even see them on there. Meanwhile I’m enjoying many games. 
    lolliverwatto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 15
    DAalsethDAalseth Posts: 2,783member
    These are fifteen games of what over a hundred games? I didn’t even see them on there. Meanwhile I’m enjoying many games. 
    There are some nice games there. I’ve tried it several times. I just haven’t seen anything worth subscribing to though and have dropped the service each time. 
    darkvader
  • Reply 5 of 15
    DAalseth said:
    There are some nice games there. I’ve tried it several times. I just haven’t seen anything worth subscribing to though and have dropped the service each time. 
    Each their own. We have it as part of a bundle. Low cost, no in app purchases and no ads. Makes it nice. For us, it is quite a few good games. 
    lolliverwinstoner71foregoneconclusionwatto_cobrajony0
  • Reply 6 of 15
    mattinozmattinoz Posts: 2,316member
    entropys said:
    Bundled basically free if you have a couple of other services so that AppleOne becomes a break even or reduction on existing fees. 
    FileMakerFellerlolliverwinstoner71watto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 15
    Bundling deliberately props up the numbers.
    s.metcalfDAalsethneoncatdarkvader
  • Reply 8 of 15
    I’ve heard that the Human Resources department is considering this same management approach for employees. Wasn’t that the recent news that hit the stock price? jk. 
    s.metcalfdarkvader
  • Reply 9 of 15
    chasmchasm Posts: 3,296member
    entropys said:
    There are more people enjoying Apple Arcade — by a factor of several million fold — than are interested in anything you’ve ever said or done, and that’s being extremely conservative.
    winstoner71iOSDevSWEricmacpscooter63watto_cobralolliverjony0
  • Reply 10 of 15
    Hey I resemble that remark!
    pscooter63
  • Reply 11 of 15
    darkvaderdarkvader Posts: 1,146member
    chasm said:
    entropys said:
    There are more people enjoying Apple Arcade — by a factor of several million fold — than are interested in anything you’ve ever said or done, and that’s being extremely conservative.

Sure, Jan.
    grandact73
  • Reply 12 of 15
    neoncatneoncat Posts: 151member
    chasm said:
    entropys said:
    Well done, you took the bait. It's trivial to bait regulars here into defensive positions because toeing the line is more important than debating the reality.

Apple Arcade is a low effort, low imagination service that manipulates users by offering re-treads and second-tier developer cast offs as a "me too" effort that offers nothing of value. It is not a service that competes on merits because it has no merits. Offering it the faint praise of "well, I found a few games I liked" is not what we should expect (or demand) from a company like Apple. That's Chinese OEM-level effort.

You know what, I was wrong. Apple Arcade does have a merit. It's cheap. And boy, that's sure the Apple brand identity, isn't it? "Not that good, but cheap. Why not." 

Stop defending utter garbage. Apple screws up sometimes. It's not an indictment of the entire company, it means on this one thing, they screwed up. And Apple Arcade should've never gotten past "yeah, no, that's a dumb idea. Either we do it right or we shouldn't do it. Back to the drawing board." Like every. other. product. Apple makes. They get it right, they do it well, they earn a price premium through excellence.
    edited July 2022 DAalsethgrandact73
  • Reply 13 of 15
    petripetri Posts: 118member
    DAalseth said:
    Each their own. We have it as part of a bundle. Low cost, no in app purchases and no ads. Makes it nice. For us, it is quite a few good games. 
    Exactly how it works for us and many others I’m sure.  As a stand-alone subscription I’m not sure anything like this ever makes sense (and if you’re that devoted to gaming to disagree you probably subscribe to some other service already anyway) but as part of Apple One it makes a nice addition, no complaints here at all.
    Fidonet127watto_cobralolliver
  • Reply 14 of 15
    Fidonet127Fidonet127 Posts: 507member
    neoncat said:
    chasm said:
    entropys said:
    Well done, you took the bait. It's trivial to bait regulars here into defensive positions because toeing the line is more important than debating the reality.

Apple Arcade is a low effort, low imagination service that manipulates users by offering re-treads and second-tier developer cast offs as a "me too" effort that offers nothing of value. It is not a service that competes on merits because it has no merits. Offering it the faint praise of "well, I found a few games I liked" is not what we should expect (or demand) from a company like Apple. That's Chinese OEM-level effort.

You know what, I was wrong. Apple Arcade does have a merit. It's cheap. And boy, that's sure the Apple brand identity, isn't it? "Not that good, but cheap. Why not." 

Stop defending utter garbage. Apple screws up sometimes. It's not an indictment of the entire company, it means on this one thing, they screwed up. And Apple Arcade should've never gotten past "yeah, no, that's a dumb idea. Either we do it right or we shouldn't do it. Back to the drawing board." Like every. other. product. Apple makes. They get it right, they do it well, they earn a price premium through excellence.
    Apple Arcade wasn’t a bad idea, nor was it badly executed. It works well and is a good value for those it was designed for. 
    watto_cobralolliverjony0
  • Reply 15 of 15
    hari5hari5 Posts: 56member
    Sometimes it is fun to play games on Apple TV with big screen & older accelerometer enabled  Siri remote. I don't understand logic of removing sensors from new remote given there are many games in app store & arcade which are not compatible with gaming controller or 2nd Gen Siri remote.