'Ted Lasso' cast in 'mourning' as filming for third season wraps up

Posted:
in General Discussion
The stars of "Ted Lasso" are preparing to wrap up the wildly popular Apple TV+ sports comedy as Apple has not renewed the series for a fourth season.

While the cast and crew began filming the third, and presumed final, season of "Ted Lasso" on March 6, it seems as though many aren't ready to say goodbye.

Hannah Waddingham spoke to Deadline at the FYC event in Los Angeles (spotted by 9to5Mac) about the series wrap up.

"We are halfway through shooting Season 3 and I would like to pause things because I'm not ready to say goodbye to her in three episodes," she said. "... It's like a long, slow mourning."

Toheeb Jimoh, who plays Sam, is also not ready to part ways with his character.

"I feel Sam Obisanya in every fiber of my being," he told Deadline. "Across this three-season journey, I've gotten to understand him as a person. I could play him in my sleep now. It will be extremely difficult to say goodbye to him."

Apple has not confirmed that the series will end after the third season but has not renewed it for a fourth, either.

Bill Lawrence, the shows creator, had stated that "Ted Lasso" was always meant to be three seasons.

"Ted Lasso" is one of Apple's biggest hits, consistently making a strong showing at yearly award shows.

In January, "Ted Lasso" star Jason Sudeikis was named Best Television Actor in a musical or comedy at the Golden Globes.

In March, the series secured four awards at the 27th Annual Critics Choice Awards ceremony, including Best Comedy Series.

Recently, "Ted Lasso" racked up 20 nominations for the 74th Emmys.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 17
    Shoresy >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Lasso
    williamlondon
  • Reply 2 of 17
    irnchrizirnchriz Posts: 1,616member
    Shoresy >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Lasso
    God no.
  • Reply 3 of 17
    Fred257Fred257 Posts: 236member
    Another stupid decision from Apple. First stupid decision only one Nand drive in newest M2 base model. Next stupid decision canceling Ted Lasso. I’m sure this is only the beginning of poor choices from Apple. Pretty unprecedented 
    lkrupp
  • Reply 4 of 17
    Fred257 said:
    Another stupid decision from Apple. First stupid decision only one Nand drive in newest M2 base model. Next stupid decision canceling Ted Lasso. I’m sure this is only the beginning of poor choices from Apple. Pretty unprecedented 
    Try it again, but read first. Sudekis and Lawrence have both said they planned only 3 seasons, and Sudekis especially doesn’t like being away from his kids for extended time. All indications is Apple would pay for 4th season if the creative team was giving a green light. 
    djames4242mwhitemichelb76pumpkin_kingmike1lkrupptdknoxFileMakerFellerlolliverwatto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 17
    donkeydonkey Posts: 1member
    Fred257 said:
    Try it again, but read first. Sudekis and Lawrence have both said they planned only 3 seasons, and Sudekis especially doesn’t like being away from his kids for extended time. All indications is Apple would pay for 4th season if the creative team was giving a green light. 
    Right?! Another person throwing crap at something they've chosen to not understand. 
    djames4242mwhitemike1tdknoxFileMakerFellerwatto_cobrageorge kaplan
  • Reply 6 of 17
    Fred257 said:
    You win! Troll of the Day 

mwhitemike1tdknoxlolliverwatto_cobrageorge kaplan
  • Reply 7 of 17
    Fred257 said:
    You win! Troll of the Day 

I would thing "Troll of the Day" would go to someone actually good at it. This is like giving "Runner of the Day" to someone that walked ten steps and sat down. 
    edited July 2022 thtlolliverwatto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 17
    audiQ5audiQ5 Posts: 1member
    This just goes to show that you can use the word F**k too many times. Especially if you realise that the English (England being the country where TL is set, and the origin of the language) DON'T use the word in everyday polite conversation. This seems to have been missed by the scriptwriters.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 17
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    audiQ5 said:
    This just goes to show that you can use the word F**k too many times. Especially if you realise that the English (England being the country where TL is set, and the origin of the language) DON'T use the word in everyday polite conversation. This seems to have been missed by the scriptwriters.
    How does it go to show that at all?

Many people in England say fuck a fucking lot, polite conversation be fucked.
    MBearITGUYINSDllamatdknoxFileMakerFellerlolliverJapheywatto_cobra
  • Reply 10 of 17
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,718member
    Best to stop while you are ahead.  I've lost count of 'renewed shows' that went beyond the original intent and are terrible.  The reasons are numerous, but often they simply flog a dead horse and often have different writers.
    edited July 2022 robin huberretrogustomaltzlolliverwatto_cobra
  • Reply 11 of 17
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,718member
    crowley said:
    audiQ5 said:
    How does it go to show that at all?

Many people in England say fuck a fucking lot, polite conversation be fucked.
    Fukin' A

I'm loving the series 'The Boys', and it makes the Ted Lasso dialog look tame.
    edited July 2022
  • Reply 12 of 17
    robin huberrobin huber Posts: 3,949member
    MacPro said:
    Best to stop while you are ahead.  I've lost count of 'renewed shows' that went beyond the original intent and are terrible.  The reasons are numerous, but often they simply flog a dead horse and often have different writers.
    Absolutely right! Endless “seasons” and franchises end up as witless slogs designed to squeeze innovation and creativity out of entertainment in the pursuit of the almighty dollar. 
    lolliverwatto_cobraJP234
  • Reply 13 of 17
    mylovinomylovino Posts: 21member
    Or….you give it another twist. Imagine Ted being called back to the US (I leave the reason to the writers getting paid 😉), and he pulls over some of the folks from his British team for whatever nice stuff the authors come up with. Sounds familiar? Right, Crocodile Dundee had that, but was fun nevertheless (at least to me old dinosaur 😅)
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 14 of 17
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    mylovino said:
    Or….you give it another twist. Imagine Ted being called back to the US (I leave the reason to the writers getting paid 😉), and he pulls over some of the folks from his British team for whatever nice stuff the authors come up with. Sounds familiar? Right, Crocodile Dundee had that, but was fun nevertheless (at least to me old dinosaur 😅)
    They can take a beach holiday to Amity and strap on some waterskis too!
    Japheywatto_cobra
  • Reply 15 of 17
    lowededwookielowededwookie Posts: 1,143member
    Actually, if you watch the show you’ll see exactly what’s going to happen.

The first season ended with a close loss. The second season ended in a draw. Logically the third season will end in a victory especially because it will be a showdown between Ted’s team and the ex-owner of Ted’s team.

As such it makes sense that the series was only ever going to be three seasons long.
    george kaplan
  • Reply 16 of 17
    Actually, if you watch the show you’ll see exactly what’s going to happen.

The first season ended with a close loss. The second season ended in a draw. Logically the third season will end in a victory especially because it will be a showdown between Ted’s team and the ex-owner of Ted’s team.

As such it makes sense that the series was only ever going to be three seasons long.
    No more calls, we have a winner. 

The trilogy concept is pretty common. When Lasso was mapped out the series it was a 24-episode series. Sudekis and Lawrence *could* extend that if they want to, and Apple would be thrilled if that happens.