Valve Steam Deck review: Mac users can welcome back 32-bit games

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 26
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    Saying "the console should probably have them on by default, versus off by default" is a reasonable take.  That would have been a useful observation in the article.
  • Reply 22 of 26
    9secondkox29secondkox2 Posts: 2,707member
    The headline is ridiculous. 

You can’t say “for Mac users” when said users aren’t using a Mac nor anything in the Apple ecosystem to accomplish this. 

It’s way more than a stretch. It’s disingenuous. 

Any PC will do the same thing. But then it’s not for Mac users…

It’s the same thing as saying your Mac won’t make you steak and eggs for breakfast, but there is this great oven for Mac users that adds that feature! 

Come on bruh. 

Other than that, the steam deck is a nifty gaming device as unrelated to the Mac as the PlayStation, Xbox or Switch amd it does a good job at playing games it shouldn’t be able to play at a great price. 

What does this have to do with the Mac? Nothing. But hey, it’s making people click or tap I guess…
    edited July 2022
  • Reply 23 of 26
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,322moderator
    The headline is ridiculous. 

You can’t say “for Mac users” when said users aren’t using a Mac nor anything in the Apple ecosystem to accomplish this. 

It’s way more than a stretch. It’s disingenuous. 

Any PC will do the same thing. But then it’s not for Mac users…

It’s the same thing as saying your Mac won’t make you steak and eggs for breakfast, but there is this great oven for Mac users that adds that feature! 

Come on bruh. 

Other than that, the steam deck is a nifty gaming device as unrelated to the Mac as the PlayStation, Xbox or Switch amd it does a good job at playing games it shouldn’t be able to play at a great price. 

What does this have to do with the Mac? Nothing. But hey, it’s making people click or tap I guess…
    In the transition to Apple Silicon, Mac users lost the ability to play Windows games and some older Mac games. While a Steam Deck is in a similar category to PS, XBox or Switch, they don't necessarily run the games that Mac users played and PS/XBox are different from a portable device.

The Steam Deck can also be used as a Windows device if Mac users need to use Windows software instead of using a VM.

It's good to know what gaming options are available as alternatives. The Steam Deck at $399 is a pretty affordable and portable option.

A Windows gaming tablet is another option that's quite portable, this is 4TFLOPs with raytracing but $1699:

https://www.amazon.com/ASUS-i7-12700H-Detachable-Keyboard-GZ301ZC-PS73/dp/B09RMPV211

Macs have really nice displays, especially the XDR displays. Someone with an XDR Macbook Pro could plug the Steam Deck into a capture card and play Windows games similar to Bootcamp in the past:

This gets fairly close to the one device for everything that the Intel Macs with Bootcamp offered.
  • Reply 24 of 26
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    Marvin said:

This gets fairly close to the one device for everything that the Intel Macs with Bootcamp offered.
    Is that a joke?  I honestly can't tell.
    darkvader
  • Reply 25 of 26
    darkvaderdarkvader Posts: 1,146member
    I don't get it.  This isn't an article about anything Apple at all.

You guys gonna start reviewing Dells next?  I mean, it's just as applicable, I could get a Dell and sit it beside my Mac and run Windoze software on it. 

This thing isn't made by Apple, doesn't connect to anything made by Apple, doesn't run Apple software, doesn't run software that was written to run on an Apple.

It DEFINITELY doesn't let me run 32-bit Mac games on a current Mac as the headline claims.

Don't you guys have another site you could put this article on?  Maybe make handheldgameinsider.com if you don't?  Because it doesn't belong here.
  • Reply 26 of 26
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,322moderator
    darkvader said:
    You guys gonna start reviewing Dells next?  I mean, it's just as applicable, I could get a Dell and sit it beside my Mac and run Windoze software on it. 

This thing isn't made by Apple, doesn't connect to anything made by Apple, doesn't run Apple software, doesn't run software that was written to run on an Apple.

It DEFINITELY doesn't let me run 32-bit Mac games on a current Mac as the headline claims.
    It's not just as applicable to review a Dell because they are expensive and bulky. The Steam Deck is a gaming accessory and can be used with a Mac like this:

A student can have a Mac laptop and add gaming capability this way very affordably and even carry it with them. Nobody is realistically going to carry two laptops around. Most Mac games have Windows versions so although they aren't running the Mac versions, they will run the equivalent Windows/Linux versions of those older Mac games without buying them again.

If Apple offered the Steam Deck in store and showed this streaming capability, it would be appealing to some Mac gamers looking to find a way to play the larger library of Windows games.

This iteration of the Steam Deck is a little slow (7nm GPU) but they said they'd update the hardware over time. When there's a 3nm version, it will be more than 2x the speed. Streaming Forza to an XDR Mac display will look very nice: