Apple renews sci-fi hit 'For All Mankind' for a fourth season

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV
The Apple TV+ alternative-reality space drama will return for a fourth season, with the storyline set to take place in the 2000s.

On Friday, Apple announced that its hit sci-fi drama will begin filming its fourth season starting in August.

The series tells the tale of the space race in an alternate reality that sees the Soviet Union beat the U.S. to the moon.

Each season tells the story of a different decade, with the third season taking place in the 1990s.

Showrunners at the San Diego Comic-Con For All Mankind panel (spotted by 9to5Mac) confirmed that season four would focus on events that will take place in the 2000s.

In December, USA Today named "For All Mankind" the best television show of 2021, praising it for addressing issues of 20th-century America.

Read on AppleInsider
davidinsf

Comments

• Reply 1 of 20
    clemynxclemynx Posts: 1,552member
    I find this last season 3 worse than the previous ones. The storylines feel forced and the sense of wonder is diminished somehow. 
    AniMillwilliamlondon
  • Reply 2 of 20
    MadbumMadbum Posts: 536member
    This is probably the best show on TV today
    edited July 2022 watto_cobradavidinsfzeus423narwhal
  • Reply 3 of 20
    entropysentropys Posts: 4,152member
    clemynx said:
    I find this last season 3 worse than the previous ones. The storylines feel forced and the sense of wonder is diminished somehow. 
    Risks falling into soap and statement TV. Which will suck. Americans do tend to keep stories going for overly long. Tell the story, end it and do a different story. Nothing worse that having too many series so that a good show dies the death of poor ratings.
    mattinozAniMill
  • Reply 4 of 20
    iOS_Guy80iOS_Guy80 Posts: 810member
    entropys said:
    clemynx said:
    Risks falling into soap and statement TV. Which will suck. Americans do tend to keep stories going for overly long. Tell the story, end it and do a different story. Nothing worse that having too many series so that a good show dies the death of poor ratings.
    Started thinking the same thing, especially after. Just watching. S3 E7.
  • Reply 5 of 20
    AniMillAniMill Posts: 155member
    Yes, Season 3 has been way to Soapoperatic. The character arcs have become waves and the race to Mars storyline contrived. I find myself skimming through the show to focus on what I perceive to be important plot points. I believe that if they’d made the Soviet v America rivalry into a true friendly partnership, and make space the villain (like The Martian), the show would be far more compelling - not just a set of hot mess characters infighting and making stupid decisions.
    RudeBoyRudyStrangeDays
  • Reply 6 of 20
    22july201322july2013 Posts: 3,564member
    In season one I was watching each episode the moment it came out. 

In season two I was watching each episode within a day or two of its release.

In season three I was watching each episode within a week of its release.
  • Reply 7 of 20
    It’s better than 90 percent of the crap on Netflix 
    williamlondonJP234george kaplannarwhalStrangeDays
  • Reply 8 of 20
    entropysentropys Posts: 4,152member
    True. So what? The point is it is losing direction. It isn’t at the point of irredemption yet, but it risking it. And after S03, it is no longer hard sci-fi.
  • Reply 9 of 20
    While Apple famously has huge cash reserves, it is trying to build the audience for ATV+. That involves making storylines more generalist and of interest to a broader audience. There is no alternative market for revenue as with HBO (which sells DVD sets of its shows and licenses older programming to Netflix), so Apple is 100% funding the show. It can’t afford to be too niche.  
  • Reply 10 of 20
    sphericspheric Posts: 2,544member
    I've read that the whole story is built for a five-season arc. 
  • Reply 11 of 20
    entropys said:
    True. So what? The point is it is losing direction. It isn’t at the point of irredemption yet, but it risking it. And after S03, it is no longer hard sci-fi.
    Who said it was going to be hard core sci-fi like Star Trek or Star Wars? It was never going to be that but rather a mix and I think it’s been masterfully done. We can differ.
    narwhalStrangeDays
  • Reply 12 of 20
    toyshootoyshoo Posts: 3member
    Season 3 has incredibly poor scripts, sub-plots are ludicrous and the woman who plays Margot can't act at all.
  • Reply 13 of 20
    Big fan and was excited for Season Three... but ouch! I felt it turned into a bad soap opera. And I see many here feel the same.

Bummer!

• Reply 14 of 20
    The comments here are totally entertaining. 
  • Reply 15 of 20
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,844member
    I like the show, but like any art form it can be criticized based on subjective tastes. I don’t like the personal melodrama between (non spoiler) certain members of the crew. 
  • Reply 16 of 20
    JapheyJaphey Posts: 1,767member
    In season one I was watching each episode the moment it came out. 

In season two I was watching each episode within a day or two of its release.

In season three I was watching each episode within a week of its release.
    Lol. Same here.
  • Reply 17 of 20
    JapheyJaphey Posts: 1,767member
    toyshoo said:
    Season 3 has incredibly poor scripts, sub-plots are ludicrous and the woman who plays Margot can't act at all.
    Have to agree with this one too. It’s a shame because Margo was my favorite character in the first 2 seasons. But, yes, this year she seems to be sleep-walking through the role. 
  • Reply 18 of 20
    sdw2001sdw2001 Posts: 18,015member
    toyshoo said:
    The script seems as good as the other seasons to me.  The sub plots are fine, and in fact, some are quite interesting.  This includes Margot’s obvious betrayal with giving Sergei the engine designs.  The actress who plays Margot is the same one in seasons 1-2.  Her name is Wrenn Schmidt.  I totally disagree.  She is playing the same character in three decades, from young assistant who breaks the glass ceiling, to veteran, to middle aged and jaded agency head. She’s 39 years old…and I believe each of those versions of her character.  So I completely disagree.  
    StrangeDaysspheric
  • Reply 19 of 20
    sdw2001sdw2001 Posts: 18,015member
    I’ll disagree with the prevailing view.  This season stacks up equally against the other two.  The way the characters have changed and the alternate historical parallels are fascinating.  Margot’s character seems to have changed the most.  She’s gone full “morally ambiguous manager bitch mode.”   Playing her must be like playing three different characters.  Point is, I’m thrilled it’s been renewed, and surprised.  Obviously it’s fine better than expected, because my understanding is it was supposed to be only three seasons. 
    StrangeDaysspheric