iPhone 14 Pro will get better OLED screen than iPhone 14

Posted:
in iPhone
Apple will reportedly use different grades of OLED panels between the iPhone 14 and iPhone 14 Pro, further differentiating the two models.

iPhone 14 Pro models
iPhone 14 Pro models

Samsung Display, an Apple supplier, will reportedly use more advanced materials for the iPhone 14 Pro models, while it'll stick with previous-generation materials for the lower-tier iPhone 14, TheElec reported Monday.

More specifically, Samsung is set to use its M12 material set on the iPhone 14 Pro and iPhone 14 Pro Max -- the same OLED material set used on Samsung's upcoming foldable flagships.

OLED material sets are the specific components used to create the red, green, and blue pixels found on displays. A more advanced material could, in theory, lead to better performance and efficiency in those displays.

Samsung is set to use its older M11 material set for the 6.1-inch and 6.7-inch iPhone 14 models. According to TheElec, that move is being made to cut costs.

Additionally, the lower-tier iPhone 14 models will use low-temperature polycrystalline silicon (LTPS) thin-film transistor (TFT) OLED panels, which are also less advanced than the low-temperature polycrystalline oxide TFT OLED panels slated for the iPhone 14 Pro and iPhone 14 Pro Max.

Importantly, LTPO TFT panels are known to be a key part of Apple's ProMotion display technology that allows for 120Hz variable refresh rates.

The South Korean display maker is expected to supply OLED panels for all four iPhone 14 models in 2022, while rival LG Display will supply panels for two models.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    retrogustoretrogusto Posts: 1,109member
    I’d be curious to know if many people really notice the difference between good screen technologies and the absolute best these days, given the overall high quality of the various types. Of course we’d notice big improvements to battery life, thinness and/or durability that an improved screen could provide, and I know some people love those 120hz refresh rates, but the differences I’ve seen in recent years seem so minor to me.
    gregoriusmh4y3sdoozydozenjahbladeuktechiecommand_fmuthuk_vanalingamdk49
  • Reply 2 of 8
    ApplePoorApplePoor Posts: 286member
    The difference from screen improvements vanishes shortly after receiving the new iPhone. My eyes do not remember the prior year's screen. These are, after all, incremental improvements. Unless someone puts the two generations side by side, the changes may not be obvious (excluding the notch vs no notch)
    retrogustodoozydozenjahbladeuktechiecommand_fmuthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 3 of 8
    tokyojimutokyojimu Posts: 528member
    Which will be more scratch-proof?
  • Reply 4 of 8
    tokyojimu said:
    Which will be more scratch-proof?
    Samsung has nothing to do with that. Apple will likely apply the same version of Gorilla Glass from Corning onto the display panels from Samsung. 
    command_fmuthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 5 of 8
    I’d be curious to know if many people really notice the difference between good screen technologies and the absolute best these days, given the overall high quality of the various types. Of course we’d notice big improvements to battery life, thinness and/or durability that an improved screen could provide, and I know some people love those 120hz refresh rates, but the differences I’ve seen in recent years seem so minor to me.
    We would surely notice batt improvement, but apparently Tim doesn’t want us to talk about that as it might add to the expectations.  The only subject he wants the public to talk about is screens and cameras (snore, snore…)
    edited August 2022 command_f
  • Reply 6 of 8
    Let’s face it. Display quality it superb on the current iPhone Pro’s. The cameras, battery life and performance are all fantastic. While I welcome any improvements it would take a lot for me to upgrade from my iPhone 13 Pro. 

I only upgraded from a XS last year, mainly to get the 3x and 0.5x and because I could pass my old phone down to my daughter. 

I’ve always thought that a 30% CPU performance improvement is pretty negligible too and hardly perceptible to most users so while these improvements are welcome I think I’ll be keeping my devices for several years before upgrading. 

I may upgrade from an Apple Watch 5 to an 8 this year but the days when I would rush to get the latest device each year are long gone. 
    command_fmuthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 7 of 8
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,844member
    Roderikus said:
    We would surely notice batt improvement, but apparently Tim doesn’t want us to talk about that as it might add to the expectations.  The only subject he wants the public to talk about is screens and cameras (snore, snore…)
    Battery times were discussed in prior iterations when it improves. But there’s only so many gains to be had for a given baseline compute level. Nobody is doing more with compute power per watt as far as I’m aware. 
  • Reply 8 of 8
    thttht Posts: 5,421member
    Amazing how boring smartphones have become. For about 10 years, it was relentless iteration, with big features every year. An OLED display rumor on an iPhone would have been a 200 post thread 6 years ago.

Now? Everyone is nonplussed. It seems the tech world has settled into talking about smartphones as if they were commoditized widgets. I can't even think of a new hardware feature that would be a big benefit to the masses. Perhaps the biggest thing for me would be robustness and solar PV. No more glass cracking and a builtin way to extend battery life. Perhaps 30% more battery capacity, but solar PV will help keep it alive. Just lay it out on your desk, have it absorb some sun, and extend battery life an hour, 2 hours or more depending on solar intensity.

Hmm, builtin air temperature, pressure? Pressure is already there, but if temperature and maybe humidity were there, Apple can create a world spanning weather prediction model, to feed it's weather apps.

AR attached glasses, not goggles, is exciting to me, but that is an accessory. I'd love to have a pair of glasses with a high resolution display to augment my vision. You don't even need a computer display or a keyboard or mouse/trackpad. Traffic visuals. Directions. Inline information for what I'm looking at.