Apple confirms Studio Display speaker fault, offers workaround

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited August 2022
An unknown number of Studio Display owners are having issues with sound failing intermittently, or completely, which Apple now says is a software problem.

Apple previously said that initial webcam issues with the Studio Display were a software rather than a hardware problem, and promised a fix. This time, while again insisting that it is not a fault with the display's speakers, Apple has so far only offered a temporary workaround.

In a note to authorized repair and service centers, Apple recommends that users should unplug the Studio Display from power. Then they should also disconnect any other accessories connected to the display, wait ten seconds, and finally plug the display back in.

The note, first seen by MacRumors, reportedly also hints that a future iOS update will properly fix the issue.

Some users have been reporting issues since May 2022. It's not known how many people are affected, but anecdotal evidence suggests that the problem is becoming more widespread.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 45
    At this point in time I didn’t think a monitor would be so hard to get right…
    MplsPlkruppDAalsethentropyszeus423
  • Reply 2 of 45
    jimh2jimh2 Posts: 611member
    They have gone from what were probably ASIC’s which greatly simplifies things. Adding a what is an iPhone less a few parts has probably made it ridiculously more complicated. It’s kind of like the effort to computerize everything. Simple things become overly complicated with no benefit. Simplicity with minimal functionality always wins. 

I’ll add that firmware updates have made it possible to deliver incomplete products knowing they can be “fixed” later. I’m not talking about legitimate fixes to products that come out occasionally. Similar to what was done to the Thunderbolt monitor twice I think. 
    edited August 2022 elijahgzeus423
  • Reply 3 of 45
    I own the new Studio Display and haven't had any sound/speaker issues at all. Per the issue becoming "more widespread", I've seen tweets posted on other rumor sites where the person complaining about the issue is running the Ventura beta. Hmmmm...
    lkruppStrangeDayswatto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 45
    keithwkeithw Posts: 140member
    I had this issue and doing what it says here fixed the problem. Hopefully they will fix the problem in a future update.  Like most things in modern, software enabled hardware, an occasional reboot doesn't hurt.
    edited August 2022 watto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 45
    keithw said:
    Like most things in modern, software enabled hardware, an occasional reboot doesn't hurt.
    Although I am generally satisfied with my Apple Studio Display, there have been two occasions during three months of ownership that it failed to wake from sleep and I've had to "reboot" it — and the only way to do that is to unplug it, which for me is a hassle because it's connected to a power strip in a hard-to-reach spot.

My Macs start becoming wonky after about 45+ days without a full restart (a sleep/wake cycle is inadequate) … so since the Studio Display is essentially now a computer with its own operating system, I wish Apple would program the Studio Display to reboot automatically every so often. Perhaps once per week, a certain number of hours after it went to sleep? This might keep its OS happy without much chance of interrupting actual use (presuming, of course, that it isn't in 24/7 use by its owner).
    dewmewatto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 45
    MplsPMplsP Posts: 3,911member
    For a premium display with a premium price the studio display doesn’t seem to be so premium.
    edited August 2022 lkruppDAalsethentropyselijahg
  • Reply 7 of 45
    AniMillAniMill Posts: 155member
    I find it absurd that Apple has had any difficulties with producing a monitor…a monitor that is still just their 27” LG sourced display used for years. This should have been a slam-dunk of design and reliability. What really disappoints me is I have an iMac Pro 2017 with its beautiful 5K screen, great webcam and adequate speakers - why couldn’t Apple have created Target Display Mode for Apple Silicon to Intel via TB3?! Yes, I know they want to sell these new displays, but they are just nothing special. Why couldn’t it had mini-LED arrays and Quantum Dots…then it would be worth $1500 (with stand).

in my book, the Studio Display is a hard foul tip out, while the Mac Studio is a home run. Hopefully Apple will correct this - and even offer a humble apology - with the up coming iMac Studio Pro, AND offer the Studio Display with the same mini-LED tech.
    lkruppdewmeelijahgzeus423
  • Reply 8 of 45
    It must have taken a team of Apple’s top engineers working all night long drinking multiple pots of coffee to come up with that workaround. 
    lkruppAnilu_777
  • Reply 9 of 45
    AniMill said:
    I find it absurd that Apple has had any difficulties with producing a monitor…a monitor that is still just their 27” LG sourced display used for years. This should have been a slam-dunk of design and reliability. What really disappoints me is I have an iMac Pro 2017 with its beautiful 5K screen, great webcam and adequate speakers - why couldn’t Apple have created Target Display Mode for Apple Silicon to Intel via TB3?! Yes, I know they want to sell these new displays, but they are just nothing special. 
    I owned a 2017 iMac and spent the extra $300 to get the nano-texture version of the Studio Display. H-U-G-E difference in terms of reflections. There is definitely "something special" about that option. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 10 of 45
    AniMill said: Why couldn’t it had mini-LED arrays and Quantum Dots…then it would be worth $1500 (with stand).
    Nobody sells 27" 5K monitors with mini-LED for $1599. 2K ultra wides sell for $1200. 
    StrangeDayswatto_cobra
  • Reply 11 of 45
    ApplePoorApplePoor Posts: 286member
    I am not holding my breath awaiting an Apple apology.

I have a four place power strip with on/off switch that will be plugged into my backup power supply in lieu of the two individual monitor power cords Reseting the power will be much easier.. Darn shame we have to do that, but the A series computer needs to be powered on and off to clear its memory and caches.

We are back to the reseting power solution we had to deal with using the very early PCs in the 80s when the got stuck..
  • Reply 12 of 45
    22july201322july2013 Posts: 3,564member
    Have you tried turning it off and on again? And are you sure that it's plugged in?

www.youtube.com/watch?v=t2F1rFmyQmY
    entropyszeus423
  • Reply 13 of 45
    danoxdanox Posts: 2,804member
    maggot777 said:
    At this point in time I didn’t think a monitor would be so hard to get right…
    Two steps forward one step back….
  • Reply 14 of 45
    danoxdanox Posts: 2,804member
    AniMill said:
    I find it absurd that Apple has had any difficulties with producing a monitor…a monitor that is still just their 27” LG sourced display used for years. This should have been a slam-dunk of design and reliability. What really disappoints me is I have an iMac Pro 2017 with its beautiful 5K screen, great webcam and adequate speakers - why couldn’t Apple have created Target Display Mode for Apple Silicon to Intel via TB3?! Yes, I know they want to sell these new displays, but they are just nothing special. Why couldn’t it had mini-LED arrays and Quantum Dots…then it would be worth $1500 (with stand).

in my book, the Studio Display is a hard foul tip out, while the Mac Studio is a home run. Hopefully Apple will correct this - and even offer a humble apology - with the up coming iMac Studio Pro, AND offer the Studio Display with the same mini-LED tech.
    The Leader Mac is no home run aside from the M series chip, the enclosure itself is a disappointment similar to the trash can Mac. The dual G4 Mac had a better enclosure with far better usability.
    edited August 2022 9secondkox2
  • Reply 15 of 45
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,382member
    People are so fucking whiny. This just happened to be for the 1st time last week. I assumed that rebooting would fix it...and it did, at least so far. I assume this will be fixed permanently with a software update down the line. But in the grand scheme of things this is an incredibly minor issue. No need for all this shrieking and proclaiming the Studio Display is now suddenly trash. The hyperbolic narrative these days when ANY issue is encountered, is insane and entitled. It's overall the best display I've ever owned, taken as a package. Just seems so seamless compared to everything I've owned previously. 
    Anilu_777StrangeDayswatto_cobra
  • Reply 16 of 45
    entropysentropys Posts: 4,152member
    The studio display not trash. It’s just very poor value for money and over engineered into a string of issues.
    elijahg9secondkox2muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 17 of 45
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,801member
    MplsP said:
    For a premium display with a premium price the studio display doesn’t seem to be so premium.
    Yeah because premium cars, computers, consoles, etc, etc at premium prices never have issues. *rolls eyes*
    Anilu_777StrangeDayswatto_cobra
  • Reply 18 of 45
    elijahgelijahg Posts: 2,753member
    Seems Cook's cutting of QA is coming back to bite him. Again.
    edited August 2022
  • Reply 19 of 45
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    macxpress said:
    MplsP said:
    Yeah because premium cars, computers, consoles, etc, etc at premium prices never have issues. *rolls eyes*
    And no one ever complains when they do?
    muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 20 of 45
    hmlongcohmlongco Posts: 533member
    entropys said:
    The studio display not trash. It’s just very poor value for money and over engineered into a string of issues.
    If you say so. I have one connected to my 16" MacBook Pro and it's by far the best monitor I've owned. Color accurate, tack sharp, and rock-solid, it's a perfect compliment and powered dock for my notebook.
    StrangeDayswatto_cobra