Apple confirms Studio Display speaker fault, offers workaround

Comments

• Reply 21 of 45
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,808member
    crowley said:
    macxpress said:
    MplsP said:
    For a premium display with a premium price the studio display doesn’t seem to be so premium.
    Yeah because premium cars, computers, consoles, etc, etc at premium prices never have issues. *rolls eyes*
    And no one ever complains when they do?
    The point totally flew over your head.....
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 22 of 45
    • Speaking of mature Macs, I still have a Cube. Wonder if the Studio  wold fit inside..... That Cube was a neat concept and we could tweak memory and drives.....
    There was a special monitor and little round speakers.
    edited August 2022 watto_cobra
  • Reply 23 of 45
    9secondkox29secondkox2 Posts: 2,717member
    It was a rushed product. 
    Too many things to ignore. 

But, it’s still a good product. Just not the excellence we expect. 

I don’t expect these kinds of issues with the Mac Pro, next pro display, or the next iMac. 
  • Reply 24 of 45
    ApplePoorApplePoor Posts: 286member
    Well, I think my two Studio Displays are getting built and their last looks in China. They would have to start their travel toward the middle of next week to arrive the week of 15 August based upon watching my other BTO Apple products progress.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 25 of 45
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    macxpress said:
    crowley said:
    macxpress said:
    MplsP said:
    For a premium display with a premium price the studio display doesn’t seem to be so premium.
    Yeah because premium cars, computers, consoles, etc, etc at premium prices never have issues. *rolls eyes*
    And no one ever complains when they do?
    The point totally flew over your head.....
    It really didn't.  

When premium cars have common issues people complain about paying a premium for something sub par.
    When premium consoles have widespread issues people complain about paying a premium for something sub par.
    When premium etc don't work properly then people complain.  Of course they do.  No one wants to pay more for a crappy experience.

So stop using the existence of other things with other problems as an excuse for Apple doing a shoddy job.

entropysmuthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 26 of 45
    dewmedewme Posts: 5,368member
    The value of having an embedded iOS device inside a monitor does seem to be in question considering the issues that the Studio Display has experienced. My hope is that Apple will come up with something at some point that will constitute an “aha” moment that makes their decision to embed that capability very obvious to everyone.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 27 of 45
    crowley said: So stop using the existence of other things with other problems as an excuse for Apple doing a shoddy job.
    LOL...if you've ever worked in a corporate environment that involves computer use the #1 response from corporate IT when someone has computer problems is "have you tried rebooting the system?".  I guess that means every computer product is shoddy by your definition. 
    9secondkox2StrangeDayswatto_cobra
  • Reply 28 of 45
    crowley said: So stop using the existence of other things with other problems as an excuse for Apple doing a shoddy job.
    LOL...if you've ever worked in a corporate environment that involves computer use the #1 response from corporate IT when someone has computer problems is "have you tried rebooting the system?".  I guess that means every computer product is shoddy by your definition. 
    If a single piece of software is causing common calls to corporate IT then sure as hell that’s a shoddy product. Occasional glitches are a world away from that.
    9secondkox2muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 29 of 45
    dewmedewme Posts: 5,368member
    crowley said:
    If a single piece of software is causing common calls to corporate IT then sure as hell that’s a shoddy product. Occasional glitches are a world away from that.
    Based on my personal experience the number one reason periodically rebooting a personal computer became a “thing” was due to memory leaks. The root cause was due to the underlying programming languages like C and C++ being extremely intolerant of memory allocation errors or sloppiness. Leaks can occur at any layer, from kernel to drivers to middleware to applications. The advent of GUI based applications with libraries the hide memory leaks behind things like handles and device contexts made matters worse. Virtual memory systems that swapped to backing storage made matters even worse because the leaks could grow to giant proportions and slowly degrade a system without crashing it completely. 

The adoption of better memory management practices through resource manage wrappers, smart pointers, reference counting, garbage collection, lease times on resources that consume memory (like connections), etc., that are part of newer languages has improved the situation quite a bit. However a lot of system level software and firmware is still written in languages that are intolerant of memory allocation errors and sloppiness so memory leaks still do occur, as do cases where there is no leak but the programmer has allowed for an unbounded growth of memory consumption. 
    StrangeDayswatto_cobra
  • Reply 30 of 45
    crowley said: If a single piece of software is causing common calls to corporate IT then sure as hell that’s a shoddy product. Occasional glitches are a world away from that.
    Per the article, the sound issues that are resolved by unplugging/plugging the monitor are not common. I own the product and haven't experienced it in two months of daily use. 
    StrangeDayswatto_cobra
  • Reply 31 of 45
    Thats a basic troubleshooting principle for anything in a wide array of issues. 

But any responsible corporate IT dept. is going to alter purchasing requests if most employees are experience the exact same issue. 

The studio display has a problem. It is intermittent and recurring for most affected users. 
    edited August 2022
  • Reply 32 of 45
    dewme said:
    crowley said:
    Based on my personal experience the number one reason periodically rebooting a personal computer became a “thing” was due to memory leaks. The root cause was due to the underlying programming languages like C and C++ being extremely intolerant of memory allocation errors or sloppiness. Leaks can occur at any layer, from kernel to drivers to middleware to applications. The advent of GUI based applications with libraries the hide memory leaks behind things like handles and device contexts made matters worse. Virtual memory systems that swapped to backing storage made matters even worse because the leaks could grow to giant proportions and slowly degrade a system without crashing it completely. 

The adoption of better memory management practices through resource manage wrappers, smart pointers, reference counting, garbage collection, lease times on resources that consume memory (like connections), etc., that are part of newer languages has improved the situation quite a bit. However a lot of system level software and firmware is still written in languages that are intolerant of memory allocation errors and sloppiness so memory leaks still do occur, as do cases where there is no leak but the programmer has allowed for an unbounded growth of memory consumption. 
    And being that the display runs iOS, which handles memory very well, this issue is likely related to something else. 

Could even be the thunderbolt handshake having issues, which a power cycle would help. Perhaps a firmware issue. 

Makes you wonder which computer the monitors are connected to when seeing the most issues. I wonder how many are non Mac Studio to isolate firmware issues. Being that the Mac studio and studio display are complementary, I’d imagine they run the exact same thunderbolt firmware? 

edited August 2022 watto_cobra
  • Reply 33 of 45
    dewme said:
    The value of having an embedded iOS device inside a monitor does seem to be in question considering the issues that the Studio Display has experienced. My hope is that Apple will come up with something at some point that will constitute an “aha” moment that makes their decision to embed that capability very obvious to everyone.
    They just needed more time to test and make the right decisions. The webcam hardware was an unfortunate decision making failure. The audio issue is likely related to firmware. The fixed power cable is likely also a rushed decision when it should have been a MagSafe cable. 

Running iOS hardware and software isn’t really the issue, though it’s definitely overkill and may be indicative of a different original intent for the enclosure and thus needed some translation to go from built in display to external display relatively quickly. 

But the failures seem to be a multiple and separate points that cannot be resolved through the OS. the camera hardware has been tweaked multiple times snd it’s still a sad affair. The audio glitches are likely connection firmware issues, which is another category, and the power cord is just a plain ok’ decision making mystery of mysteries. 

It all seems rushed. When we see the 24” iMac for example, whether you like it or don’t, the little polarizing machine has a very thoughtful development to become the paper thin thing it is - everything from MagSafe re-engineering, to the way Ethernet is done, to the placement of the headphone Jack, the webcam it uses etc. 

contrast that with the studio display, which has none of that thoughtfulness, even though it looks better than the iMac. 

Apple wil likely need to roll out a firmware update with instructions, which many won’t use and instead inundate apple stores with customers bringing these in to be updated. They just need to do it and get it over with before people get really upset and the studio display brand gets panned all over. Apple doesn’t need to studio display to become the new Windows ME. 

watto_cobra
  • Reply 34 of 45
    crowley said: If a single piece of software is causing common calls to corporate IT then sure as hell that’s a shoddy product. Occasional glitches are a world away from that.
    Per the article, the sound issues that are resolved by unplugging/plugging the monitor are not common. I own the product and haven't experienced it in two months of daily use. 
    The article says it’s unknown how widespread the problem is. If Apple are issuing advisory notes and claiming it’s a software issue then it’s common enough to be acknowledged as a problem.  Your experience is singular, not necessarily reflective of anything other than you.
    muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 35 of 45
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,879member
    elijahg said:
    Seems Cook's cutting of QA is coming back to bite him. Again.
    Citation needed.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 36 of 45
    entropys said:
    The studio display not trash. It’s just very poor value for money and over engineered into a string of issues.
    Says the guy who doesn’t have one. 

The butthurt are so funny. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 37 of 45
    crowley said:
    Cite your data that this problem is common and not an occasional glitch. 

And yes, corporate workstations are much, much worse. I’ve had to reboot my Dell work notebook two times today alone. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 38 of 45
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    slurpy said:
    People are so fucking whiny. This just happened to be for the 1st time last week. I assumed that rebooting would fix it...and it did, at least so far. I assume this will be fixed permanently with a software update down the line. But in the grand scheme of things this is an incredibly minor issue. No need for all this shrieking and proclaiming the Studio Display is now suddenly trash. The hyperbolic narrative these days when ANY issue is encountered, is insane and entitled. It's overall the best display I've ever owned, taken as a package. Just seems so seamless compared to everything I've owned previously. 
    Would an on/off power button have made it any less for you? It certainly would have made it more convenient when the display needs to be rebooted, which inevitably it will on occasion. I've no idea what the argument would be for not having an on/off toggle on an Apple display.

While rarely done it's not like Apple has never had a power switch on one. Seems like an obvious customer convenience.
    muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 39 of 45
    mistergsfmistergsf Posts: 241member
    I own the new Studio Display and haven't had any sound/speaker issues at all. Per the issue becoming "more widespread", I've seen tweets posted on other rumor sites where the person complaining about the issue is running the Ventura beta. Hmmmm...
    That may be but I'm running macOS 12.4 on my M1 Mac mini and I had this issue a couple of weeks ago.  It  drove me crazy but thankful I found the workaround/solution on Apple Community Forums.  Haven't had the issue return so far.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 40 of 45
    neilmneilm Posts: 987member
    You can get power strips with one designated master outlet that controls power to all the other outlets. With a computer plugged into the master outlet and turned on, the other outlets are also powered, but when you shut down the master load, everything else get turned off by a relay in the power strip. That would work well here.

Or of course the Studio Display could just have had an on/off switch...
    watto_cobra