No redesign coming to Apple Watch Series 8, says leaker

Posted:
in Apple Watch edited August 2022
A new leak suggests Apple won't be redesigning the standard "Apple Watch Series 8," with more significant updates planned for the rumored "Pro" model.

'Apple Watch Series 8' may not get a redesign after all
'Apple Watch Series 8' may not get a redesign after all

A Twitter leaker named ShrimpApplePro has apparently obtained final production information for the "Apple Watch Series 8." While the leaker wasn't clear, it seems they have access to at least one of the sealed boxes the new devices will ship in.

According to "Shrimp," the "Apple Watch Series 8" design will stay similar to the Apple Watch Series 7 with no improvements. It will be sold in aluminum and stainless steel cases in 41mm and 45mm sizes.

It seems the aluminum colors will be limited to Midnight, Starlight, Product(RED), and Silver. Stainless steel colors are listed as Graphite and Silver. Notably, Blue and Green are absent from this list.

The titanium version of the Apple Watch won't be available for the standard model either. This signifies that the rumored "Pro" watch may have titanium and different color options.

"Shrimp" alludes to the box in their possession, stating that it is sealed with stronger glue. That makes it more difficult for resellers to pass used goods as new.

It also seems the devices are entering mass production in August, so a September launch is likely. However, that may be speculation.

Alright
Apple Watch Series 8 leak
Note: the info is about the base series 8 only. No info abt the higher version atm
1/3 pic.twitter.com/AT6tuUANUd

-- ShrimpApplePro (@VNchocoTaco)

Apple tends to keep product designs around for a few model generations, so a complete redesign in the 2022 Apple Watch didn't seem likely after making a design shift in 2021. Over the past year, rumors surrounding the design moved from a radical new design with flat sides to a slight curvature alteration.

Now, it seems more likely that the large "Apple Watch Pro" may be the only version with a new design. Rumors have also suggested it will be made from a tough material like titanium, so removing that option from the standard model seems likely.

Apple is expected to announce the "iPhone 14" lineup and "Apple Watch Series 8" during a September Apple event. As the announcement approaches, more details are expected to leak out about these new devices.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 19
    Fred257Fred257 Posts: 236member
    I was going to buy one this year because of the redesign.
    Will wait a year I guess 
    williamlondonkkqd1337lkruppgrandact73
  • Reply 2 of 19
    Good! I don’t want a redesign. 
    StrangeDaysMacProlkrupp
  • Reply 3 of 19
    applguyapplguy Posts: 235member
    Bummer. After 7 years of the same design I’m ready for a new look. I’ll likely pass on this update. 
    williamlondonkkqd1337dk49pulseimageslkruppgrandact73
  • Reply 4 of 19
    This is not a product that I wish Apple to have a regular and a “pro” version of. Seems like the iPhone 14 and AW8 will be basically the same except for the “pro” versions. 
    williamlondonlkrupp
  • Reply 5 of 19
    iOS_Guy80iOS_Guy80 Posts: 809member
    The leaker only talks about design. No mention of any new hardware features. Still too early to speculate that there will be no changes to the basic model.
  • Reply 6 of 19
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,834member
    Fred257 said:
    I was going to buy one this year because of the redesign.
    Will wait a year I guess 
    What redesign? There has been no announcement, and the only rumor was from last year of a boxier version. What they did instead was make a larger screen last year, which I like.
    williamlondoniOS_Guy80AutigerMarkentropys
  • Reply 7 of 19
    applguy said:
    Bummer. After 7 years of the same design I’m ready for a new look. I’ll likely pass on this update. 
    You can find plenty of articles from execs talking about it, but they don't do change for change's sake. There has to be a reason (whether every human on earth agrees with that reason or not is a different discussion). Not talking new color options of course, but actual product design changes.
    williamlondon
  • Reply 8 of 19
    geekmeegeekmee Posts: 629member
    If it ain’t broke…

Plus, it gives me a chance to catchup and try all these new watch faces and features.

But then again, this is just a ‘rumor.’
    Apple hasn’t announced anything yet.

edited August 2022
  • Reply 9 of 19
    williamhwilliamh Posts: 1,032member
    I’m more interested in new sensors/health features and care less about a redesign. 
    williamlondongeekmeecaladanianStrangeDaysbeowulfschmidt
  • Reply 10 of 19
    entropysentropys Posts: 4,152member
    I never believed that the Apple Watch design would change this year. A new design came out last year.  

But I find it hard to believe there won’t be a gold version in aluminium and stainless steel. There are certain markets where gold is a very important fashion statement. My father even though he isn’t in those markets has always had a gold watch. All his life and he is almost 90. Just got him a gold SE in the prime day sales after he had broke his gold series 4. Cheaper to buy the SE on sale than have the face replaced.
    edited August 2022
  • Reply 11 of 19
    kkqd1337kkqd1337 Posts: 424member
    I want a Apple Watch that is super super slimline 

I have the AW4 (I think - the first one that came with the ecg sensor whichever that is) and find it too bulky. 

I only really use it for notifications and the time 

so a super slimline version without all this pseudoscience health sensor junk would suit me perfect 
  • Reply 12 of 19
    eriamjheriamjh Posts: 1,630member
    I'd rather slimmer, but I just want my old link band to fit whatever it is.
  • Reply 13 of 19
    fluffhead said:
    This is not a product that I wish Apple to have a regular and a “pro” version of. Seems like the iPhone 14 and AW8 will be basically the same except for the “pro” versions. 
    I kinda feel that was the direction Apple was going with the SE vs 7. I feel like some of the advanced health sensors were really "Pro" features. But I would agree that the idea of a "Pro" line of watches sounds kinda silly. Watches are not production devices for professionals (yet?). The "Pro" nomenclature is out of place.
  • Reply 14 of 19
    applguyapplguy Posts: 235member
    applguy said:
    You can find plenty of articles from execs talking about it, but they don't do change for change's sake. There has to be a reason (whether every human on earth agrees with that reason or not is a different discussion). Not talking new color options of course, but actual product design changes.
    The iPad has changed plenty over the years. Flat sides, round sides, back to flat sides. No functional difference. 
  • Reply 15 of 19
    Can we sadly get more storage this year? Because the reminders app has some weird crap that makes it take up ludicrous amounts of storage on my watch and even Apple support was zero help to fix it. 
    lkrupph4y3s
  • Reply 16 of 19
    Well this is a shame. I have a Series 6 that won't hold its charge for a day if I work out. I was planning on waiting to upgrade for when the Series 8 came out knowing it'll be a nice redesign. I'm going to instead hunt for some deals on the Series 7 now.
    h4y3s
  • Reply 17 of 19
    applguy said:
    applguy said:
    The iPad has changed plenty over the years. Flat sides, round sides, back to flat sides. No functional difference. 
    Not so. The sides changes are form factor changes, serving a very real purpose. You can compare the original to the current and see the progress being made on shape & weight. These aren’t simple whimsies, but that it may come off that way speaks to their success with industrial design.
  • Reply 18 of 19
    chasmchasm Posts: 3,273member
    If this report turns out to be correct (and I think it will), let’s remember the pundits who said otherwise, and treat their speculations a bit less seriously going forward.
    edited August 2022
  • Reply 19 of 19
    applguy said:
    applguy said:
    Try  charging the current Apple Pencil on iPad with rounded edges.