Amazon buying iRobot in a $1.7 billion all-cash deal

Posted:
in General Discussion edited August 2022
Amazon is set to acquire Roomba manufacturer iRobot in a deal valued at $1.7 billion, the two companies announced on Friday.

iRobot Roomba. Credit: Onur Binay/Unsplash
iRobot Roomba. Credit: Onur Binay/Unsplash

The retail juggernaut will acquire iRobot for $61 per share in an all-cash deal.

Completion of the deal will be subject to shareholder approval, as well as the regulatory green light. iRobot CEO Colin Angle will continue to run the company if the deal goes through.

It will mark Amazon's fourth largest deal to date, behind its $13.7 billion acquisition of Whole Foods, its $8.45 billion purchase of MGM, and its $3.9 billion acquisition of primary card provider One Medical.

"Over many years, the iRobot team has proven its ability to reinvent how people clean with products that are incredibly practical and inventive-- from cleaning when and where customers want while avoiding common obstacles in the home, to automatically emptying the collection bin," said Amazon Devices SVP Dave Limp. "Customers love iRobot products-- and I'm excited to work with the iRobot team to invent in ways that make customers' lives easier and more enjoyable."

Founded in 1990 at MIT, iRobot is known for its popular Roomba robot vacuum that cleans floors automatically. Amazon is acquiring the firm just days after the robotics company announced a year-over-year decline in revenue.

This isn't Amazon's first foray into robotics technology. Back in September 2021, the company announced a smart home robot able deliver reminders or play TV shows. It has also experimented with delivery robots in pilot programs across the U.S.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 29
    22july201322july2013 Posts: 3,570member
    iAmazon.  This will really help Amazon to clean up.
    edited August 2022 pscooter63
  • Reply 2 of 29
    And how is this related to Apple news?
    cornchipDogpersondanoxstevenoz
  • Reply 3 of 29
    Remember how everyone thought Amazon was going to "disrupt" the grocery business when they bought Whole Foods? LOL...
    williamlondon9secondkox2sconosciutowatto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 29
    DAalsethDAalseth Posts: 2,783member
    Aw F*** I love our two Roombas. They work great. But I don’t do business with Amazon. Looks like the next time we need one we’ll have to go with another brand. 
    edited August 2022 mknelsonwilliamlondonviclauyyccornchipDogperson9secondkox2Alex_Vdanoxcentaurwatto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 29
    mike1mike1 Posts: 3,283member

Probably confirms there will never be any HomeKit support for Roomba vacuums. Just like with Ring.
    williamlondoncornchipwatto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 29
    applguyapplguy Posts: 235member
    For the same reason there is a story about HBO Max and Discovery+ merging into one service. In addition to Apple news this is also a tech news site. You’ll find about 20% of the stories here are not Apple related but are noteworthy in the tech world. 
    sconosciutoAlex_Vgatorguychasmwatto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 29
    Is Amazon going to equip it with Mars rover technology so that it can analyze the debris in your carpet and determine if you prefer Oreo or Chips-Ahoy!?
    TRAGforegoneconclusionlkruppcornchipdope_ahminechasmwatto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 29
    22july201322july2013 Posts: 3,570member
    Is Amazon going to equip it with Mars rover technology so that >>>it<<< can analyze the debris in your carpet and determine if you prefer Oreo or Chips-Ahoy!?
    Interesting idea. Amazon will analyze what's in your debris field and market you new products based on their findings. Amazon may also notify the police if they detect illegal substances.
    MrBunside9secondkox2sconosciutocentaurwatto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 29
    netroxnetrox Posts: 1,421member
    mike1 said:

Probably confirms there will never be any HomeKit support for Roomba vacuums. Just like with Ring.
    That's not what it will happen. Amazon, Google, and Apple have agreed to offer home automation products marked with "Matter" logo to work with their platforms. Any devices marked with "Matter" is also HomeKit compatible with the upcoming iOS upgrade.

There is literally no technical barrier to accepting Matter devices. It's Apple that is not allowing access to them in name of "security" but we can use the "HomeBridge" hack that allow HomeKit app to show non-HomeKit devices.

designrMBeargatorguywatto_cobra
  • Reply 10 of 29
    9secondkox29secondkox2 Posts: 2,707member
    So… now Amazon gets maps of your home interiors? 

Weird. 

With Alexa built in, new iRobot products will be quite the Trojan horse. 
    viclauyyccentaurwatto_cobra
  • Reply 11 of 29
    netrox said:
    mike1 said:

That's not what it will happen. Amazon, Google, and Apple have agreed to offer home automation products marked with "Matter" logo to work with their platforms. Any devices marked with "Matter" is also HomeKit compatible with the upcoming iOS upgrade.

There is literally no technical barrier to accepting Matter devices. It's Apple that is not allowing access to them in name of "security" but we can use the "HomeBridge" hack that allow HomeKit app to show non-HomeKit devices.

Privacy and security are inherent in the Apple brand. If you buy, you need to trust. Cannot do that with Amazon products. 

It’s Amazon that won’t agree to these principles. 
    viclauyycDogpersonAlex_Vcentaurchasmwatto_cobra
  • Reply 12 of 29
    So Amazon will fuck it up like Google did to Nest. 
    sconosciutocentaurchasmwatto_cobra
  • Reply 13 of 29
    viclauyycviclauyyc Posts: 849member
    Let’s hope there is no built-in microphone in the vacuum. Now even  your vacuum will spy on you.  
    Dogperson9secondkox2centaurchasmwatto_cobra
  • Reply 14 of 29
    chadbagchadbag Posts: 2,000member
    Well, that strikes a Roomba off the possibilities list for our home we are building.   
    Dogperson9secondkox2williamlondoncentaurchasmwatto_cobra
  • Reply 15 of 29
    Ok. This will take six month to a year to sort the purchase  out
    another year or more for amazon to completely replace the management and culture. Then another year before they seriously start implementing their spyware. One of my Roombas has no camera. The other does but is already a year old. I doubt the really intrusive things will get pushed to either of mine. Plus the older one will be close to wearing out by then. I think I’m ok for the moment. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 16 of 29
    DAalseth said:
    Aw F*** I love our two Roombas. They work great. But I don’t do business with Amazon. Looks like the next time we need one we’ll have to go with another brand. 
    we've got an Roborock S6 MaxV - its been going a year and handles carpet and wooden floors no problem. I like it, I'd buy another

chadbagwatto_cobra
  • Reply 17 of 29
    designr said:
    DAalseth said:
    But I don’t do business with Amazon.
    Why not?
    First I don’t like what they have done to the publishing industry, or other brick and mortar retail.
    Second though was when I found out that for years returns were just dumped in the landfill. They made no pretence of sorting, restocking, and reselling stuff that had gone out and had been returned. It was cheaper for them to just dump it. Bad for the environment, but it was cheaper.
    Then there’s how they treat their employees.
    The final straw though was over a couple of years I had six purchases in a row of equipment. Drives, USB hubs, a few other things. I discovered that it was often impossible to tell what was a real product and what was a Chinese rip off version sold by some “partner”. After the last piece of absolute junk that came with a fake brand name label on it I just walked away. There is nothing from Amazon that I need that bad. 
    9secondkox2chadbagapplguychasmbeowulfschmidtwatto_cobra
  • Reply 18 of 29
    viclauyyc said:
    Let’s hope there is no built-in microphone in the vacuum. Now even  your vacuum will spy on you.  
    Nowadays EVERYONE finds a way to invade your home or vehicle in order to spy on you - all in the name of convenience under the guise of a good thing. 

I guess most never learned from the history of the Trojan horse. 
    williamlondoncentaurwatto_cobra
  • Reply 19 of 29
    chadbagchadbag Posts: 2,000member
    DAalseth said:
    designr said:
    DAalseth said:
    But I don’t do business with Amazon.
    Why not?
    First I don’t like what they have done to the publishing industry, or other brick and mortar retail.
    Second though was when I found out that for years returns were just dumped in the landfill. They made no pretence of sorting, restocking, and reselling stuff that had gone out and had been returned. It was cheaper for them to just dump it. Bad for the environment, but it was cheaper.
    Then there’s how they treat their employees.
    The final straw though was over a couple of years I had six purchases in a row of equipment. Drives, USB hubs, a few other things. I discovered that it was often impossible to tell what was a real product and what was a Chinese rip off version sold by some “partner”. After the last piece of absolute junk that came with a fake brand name label on it I just walked away. There is nothing from Amazon that I need that bad. 
    While I don’t doubt that some return stuff gets dumped, a lot of it doesn’t.  They have their factory warehouse store that resells returns.  I’ve bought a bunch of stuff from them.  They also sell sealed  pallets of returns to people who then sort and resell the stuff themselves.  I know a guy who buys the pallets as a business.  Plus a lot of what is sold on Amazon is sold by other sellers and just the logistics and back office is handled by Amazon. Amazon can’t just go and dump stuff that doesn’t belong to them.  

They’ve also gotten a lot better at keeping fake stuff off.  Not perfect but it is a lot harder to sell fake stuff represented as real on Amazon now compared to in the past.  

Not saying you should do business with Amazon.  That is your call.  Just calling out their current practices as they appear to me through my interactions. 

I buy stuff from Amazon but don’t buy any of the Amazon branded tech.  No Alexa, Ring, or anything. Especially anything connected.  And now no Roomba.  Just like when Google bought Nest I sold my Nest thermostat and eventually ended up with Ecobee (with Honeywell in between).  
    Alex_Vchasmwatto_cobra
  • Reply 20 of 29
    radarthekatradarthekat Posts: 3,842moderator
    So… now Amazon gets maps of your home interiors? 

Weird. 

With Alexa built in, new iRobot products will be quite the Trojan horse. 
    Project Rosey.  Amazon will next buy the rights to the Jetsons cartoon series for use in their advertising.  

9secondkox2watto_cobra