Amazon buying iRobot in a $1.7 billion all-cash deal

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 29
    I hope this doesn’t mean that the shortcuts Roomba finally developed to operate iRobot via Siri will no longer work.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 22 of 29
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    I am less concerned about Amazon than Google in situations like this.
    williamlondon
  • Reply 23 of 29
    dewmedewme Posts: 5,359member
    mike1 said:
    And how is this related to Apple news?

Probably confirms there will never be any HomeKit support for Roomba vacuums. Just like with Ring.
    Not necessarily. Amazon has joined the Matter and Thread working groups. This means there is a much stronger probability that devices under Amazon's purview, including Ring branded products, Echo devices, and newly acquired home automation devices, will eventually adhere to a common interoperability model that Apple also supports with HomeKit.

The probability of interoperability is greatly enhanced when all parties follow an open interoperability standard rather than trying to define their own proprietary standard and trying to get others to join in via licensing arrangements. The transition won't be bumpless because some older devices may be obsoleted or require gateways to be carried forward. Some protocols (like Z-Wave) will likely continue to support "islands of devices" bound to their current protocols with gateways/bridges to interoperate with Matter/Thread infrastructure.

Ultimately the long term benefits of the open standards should result in greater interoperability and more product choices for more end users. Amazon will most certainly want to take advantage of an expanding market for home automation devices because they will take a cut of all of the sales that occur through their global storefront, not to mention the cloud services that will continue to expand around the use of these devices.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 24 of 29
    thrangthrang Posts: 1,008member
    How unique/large/coveted is the Roomba user base or brand?

$1.7BN?

Clearly you should be able to develop an equal or superior product for a small fraction of that.

I suppose Amazon does not have the engineering or product design skill sets to do so.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 25 of 29
    mpantonempantone Posts: 2,040member
    And how is this related to Apple news?
    The two companies are competitors in the smart home and digital assistant markets along with Google. 

There’s a lot of overlap and synergies in these categories: streaming music and video, gaming, personal fitness, etc. and likely more interconnections in the future.

If you hop on an exercise bike or treadmill that might trigger a robotic vacuum to do a quick lap since the smart home hub knows that you aren’t walking around for a while.

Stuff like that.
    centaurchasmwatto_cobra
  • Reply 26 of 29
    danoxdanox Posts: 2,847member
    thrang said:
    How unique/large/coveted is the Roomba user base or brand?

$1.7BN?

Clearly you should be able to develop an equal or superior product for a small fraction of that.

I suppose Amazon does not have the engineering or product design skill sets to do so.
    They don’t they are as bad in hardware as Google is, unless you think cheap is the thing.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 27 of 29
    Maybe Amazon can whip what I consider to be one of the worst companies with the most unrelible products and a tech support department that hasn't the slightest clue as to how to deal with Roomba or M6 Mop issues! I just purchased an Ecovacs Deebot M1 and I'm astounded by the amount of dirt it's mopped up over the last 3 weeks that iRobot's M6 mop didn't get. I'd seriosly like to see iRobot go out of business for all of their deceptive practices, but my hope for anyone who would deem to purchase one of their products might just get the support by Amazon standards rather than iRobot's.

P.S., My Ecovacs is one of the best products I've purchased in a very long time!
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 28 of 29
    chasmchasm Posts: 3,291member
    MacPro said:
    I am less concerned about Amazon than Google in situations like this.
    You should actually be more concerned with Amazon. Google can’t even spell the word “privacy,” but their security is top notch. Amazon has no concept of privacy, and security is at best an afterthought once they get caught.
    watto_cobra