Future iMac with telescopic arm?

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
I mentioned this in passing in one of my other posts, but I thought it would be appropriate here.

How difficult would it be to make the arm of the iMac to be telescopic as well. That way your base can remain further tucked away.

Yes I realize there would need to be some counter balancing to prevent the screen from dropping down. But to be able to pull the screen closer would be cool,no?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    heinzelheinzel Posts: 120member
    I'd rather have a 90°-turnable screen and be able to read docs upright instead of having to scroll. After that, why not have the arm being expandable? (might be hard to produce in an as sturdy way as the one they use right now, though)
  • Reply 2 of 6
    I suspect the balance point between the base and monitor isn't as far out as you think. Ixnay the telescoping arm.

TING5

[ 04-09-2002: Message edited by: There is no g5 ]</p>
  • Reply 3 of 6
    crusadercrusader Posts: 1,129member
    A telescopic arm would have wear-and-tear issues, but probaly not a lot if apple can use the same design for the support sysytem in the arm.
  • Reply 4 of 6
    bradbowerbradbower Posts: 1,068member
    Just move the iMac closer to you. I'm with the first-poster, a 90° rotation would be all I'd ask for short of a 17" high-definition wireless iPad touchscreen display iMac.
  • Reply 5 of 6
    That joint on the iMac already pushes the bounds of complexity in a desktop computer design. More complexity = more cost, and more chance of breakage and premature wear and failure.

Rather than see Apple spend $$$$ on designing a telescopic joint, or a rotating display, I'd rather see them spend virtually zero R&D on the iMac's case, and simply add a 17" LCD. A 17" LCD would also give Apple greater margins than a fancy joint, because it's less overhead for Apple and they can charge a greater premium for a larger display.

The larger display also meets the demands that both the rotating and telescoping joint would meet: It makes the display larger and thus it doesn't need to be as close, and it also provides more vertical room, so the display won't need to be rotated vertically. As an extra benefit, a larger display will provide greater desktop area for work and play (Quake on a 17" LCD iMac, anyone?).

If I see one more post about tricking out the iMac's already tricked-out joint, or adding batteries to the damn keyboard and mouse so they can be wireless, or some other gee-whiz iMac feature that doesn't add to the performance of the computer, nor to the user experience, I swear I'm going to track down the poster and see how they like a TRICKED-OUT NECK, with a battery powered testicular sack that isn't connected to their groin, and a rotating leg that telescopes out about 3 meters. I mean it, I'm sick of these future hardware posts that are all form and no function. I want to see future hardware that screams, FH that surpasses Pentium IV performance and that will run Doom 3 like nobody's business!
  • Reply 6 of 6
    bradbowerbradbower Posts: 1,068member
    [quote]Originally posted by Junkyard Dawg:

<strong>If I see one more post about tricking out the iMac's already tricked-out joint, or adding batteries to the damn keyboard and mouse so they can be wireless, or some other gee-whiz iMac feature that doesn't add to the performance of the computer, nor to the user experience [...] I mean it, I'm sick of these future hardware posts that are all form and no function.</strong><hr></blockquote>

How is a rotatable-display all form and no function? Do you realize the function such a thing would serve? Have you ever used one of the CRT displays that have this ability? If not, maybe you should put a sock in it.

How is a keyboard and mouse without wires to get in the way, tangle up, plug in, pull out, and otherwise tie you down to your desk "all form and no function"? It has nothing to do with looks or appearance, it has to do with interaction and usability and how you USE your computer. Have you ever had an issue with keyboards and mice like these? Have you really used wireless keyboards and mice in both a desktop situation and a non-desktop situation for long enough to be able to appreciate the freedom of movement? I'd hope you have, but that's another rhetorical one--if not, quit complaining, your argument has no basis.

[quote]Originally posted by Junkyard Dawg:

<strong>I want to see future hardware that screams, FH that surpasses Pentium IV performance and that will run Doom 3 like nobody's business!</strong><hr></blockquote>

Then just read the 98235402354014317 threads in existence about G5s and Clawhammers and DDR-RAM that have been around for ****ing months and quitcherbitchin.